Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:23 AM   #1
Star136
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
1 iPod (5G) multiple PC's.

I have a particular issue I was wondering if anyone else can help with....

Most of my music is held on a USB disk caddy which stays at work most of the time but I do most downloading and manual updating to the iPod at home on a laptop. However now the iPod is nicely organised I would like to automatically sync it with the USB caddy when I get to work but continue to manually update it at home. Is this possible without continually loosing everything off the iPod ?
Star136 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:59 AM   #2
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star136
I have a particular issue I was wondering if anyone else can help with....

Most of my music is held on a USB disk caddy which stays at work most of the time but I do most downloading and manual updating to the iPod at home on a laptop. However now the iPod is nicely organised I would like to automatically sync it with the USB caddy when I get to work but continue to manually update it at home. Is this possible without continually loosing everything off the iPod ?
No. An iPod can only be synced with 1 computer at a time.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:17 PM   #3
pistol44
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Actually

I have had success with syncing the new iPod with multiple computers. I didn't need to update or anything. Now, I've only been using it for movies so far, so I have no idea if music is different. However, I have been able to add movies from multiple libraries on different computers no problem.
__________________
400 Mhz iMac SE (Graphite)
733 Mhz Power Mac G4
1.42 Ghz G4 Mac Mini
1.5 Ghz Aluminum Powerbook G4
1.8 Ghz iMac G5
Single 1.8 Ghz Power Mac G5
23" Apple Cinema Display
pistol44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:12 PM   #4
Jedi128
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, NY
Just clear this up for me please....

Can you load movies that you have on DVD, or on your computer to a 5th Gen. iPod and successfully watch them? Apple really hasn't come out and said that you can watch just any video. Is it restricted to only the video avaible on iTMS?
__________________
- 27" iMac i7 3.4Ghz 16GB 1TB Fusion GTX 680MX 2GB
- iPhone 5S 32GB (Black)
- iPad Air 32GB wifi only (Black)
Jedi128 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Star136
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi128
Just clear this up for me please....

Can you load movies that you have on DVD, or on your computer to a 5th Gen. iPod and successfully watch them? Apple really hasn't come out and said that you can watch just any video. Is it restricted to only the video avaible on iTMS?
Although it's a little off topic - You can watch anything - it just needs to be in the right format. I've used the app PSP Video 9 with great sucess for this. I haven't tried anything longer than 15 minutes though.
Star136 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:41 PM   #6
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan
No. An iPod can only be synced with 1 computer at a time.
That's only true if you are using auto-sync. If you choose "Manually Manage Songs and Playlists" you can copy stuff from multiple computers no problem.

e.g. http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tu...tarted_t3.html

I did this for a long time while I didn't have broadband at home.

What you lose is the updating of playcount, last played, updated ratings from the iPod, etc...

EDIT: On the 5G you probably want to make sure podcasts and videos are also set to not automatically update, since these settings are on different tabs.

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
copy multiple file names > then paste to multiple different files maxslomoff Mac Programming 5 Jul 27, 2014 10:52 AM
Another multiple ID, multiple device, multiple phone number iMessage question mrcalabash iOS 6 3 Jan 12, 2013 08:45 PM
multiple ipod touchs libracat iPod touch 1 Dec 11, 2012 04:56 PM
Apple Store online: multiple reservation tries, multiple credit checks grnamin iPhone 14 Oct 10, 2012 11:16 PM
Multiple problems with iOS 6 (iMessage, iPod app) Minimoose 360 iOS 6 2 Oct 7, 2012 05:37 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC