Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:23 AM   #1
Star136
macrumors newbie

1 iPod (5G) multiple PC's.

I have a particular issue I was wondering if anyone else can help with....

Most of my music is held on a USB disk caddy which stays at work most of the time but I do most downloading and manual updating to the iPod at home on a laptop. However now the iPod is nicely organised I would like to automatically sync it with the USB caddy when I get to work but continue to manually update it at home. Is this possible without continually loosing everything off the iPod ?
Star136 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:59 AM   #2
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star136
I have a particular issue I was wondering if anyone else can help with....

Most of my music is held on a USB disk caddy which stays at work most of the time but I do most downloading and manual updating to the iPod at home on a laptop. However now the iPod is nicely organised I would like to automatically sync it with the USB caddy when I get to work but continue to manually update it at home. Is this possible without continually loosing everything off the iPod ?
No. An iPod can only be synced with 1 computer at a time.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:17 PM   #3
pistol44
macrumors newbie

Actually

I have had success with syncing the new iPod with multiple computers. I didn't need to update or anything. Now, I've only been using it for movies so far, so I have no idea if music is different. However, I have been able to add movies from multiple libraries on different computers no problem.
1.5 Ghz Aluminum Powerbook G4
1.8 Ghz iMac G5
Single 1.8 Ghz Power Mac G5
23" Apple Cinema Display
pistol44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:12 PM   #4
Jedi128
macrumors 6502

Just clear this up for me please....

Can you load movies that you have on DVD, or on your computer to a 5th Gen. iPod and successfully watch them? Apple really hasn't come out and said that you can watch just any video. Is it restricted to only the video avaible on iTMS?
Jedi128 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Star136
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi128
Just clear this up for me please....

Can you load movies that you have on DVD, or on your computer to a 5th Gen. iPod and successfully watch them? Apple really hasn't come out and said that you can watch just any video. Is it restricted to only the video avaible on iTMS?
Although it's a little off topic - You can watch anything - it just needs to be in the right format. I've used the app PSP Video 9 with great sucess for this. I haven't tried anything longer than 15 minutes though.
Star136 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:41 PM   #6
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan
No. An iPod can only be synced with 1 computer at a time.
That's only true if you are using auto-sync. If you choose "Manually Manage Songs and Playlists" you can copy stuff from multiple computers no problem.

e.g. http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tu...tarted_t3.html

I did this for a long time while I didn't have broadband at home.

What you lose is the updating of playcount, last played, updated ratings from the iPod, etc...

EDIT: On the 5G you probably want to make sure podcasts and videos are also set to not automatically update, since these settings are on different tabs.

B

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod