Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Star136

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
I have a particular issue I was wondering if anyone else can help with....

Most of my music is held on a USB disk caddy which stays at work most of the time but I do most downloading and manual updating to the iPod at home on a laptop. However now the iPod is nicely organised I would like to automatically sync it with the USB caddy when I get to work but continue to manually update it at home. Is this possible without continually loosing everything off the iPod ?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Star136 said:
I have a particular issue I was wondering if anyone else can help with....

Most of my music is held on a USB disk caddy which stays at work most of the time but I do most downloading and manual updating to the iPod at home on a laptop. However now the iPod is nicely organised I would like to automatically sync it with the USB caddy when I get to work but continue to manually update it at home. Is this possible without continually loosing everything off the iPod ?

No. An iPod can only be synced with 1 computer at a time.

pistol44

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2005
Actually

I have had success with syncing the new iPod with multiple computers. I didn't need to update or anything. Now, I've only been using it for movies so far, so I have no idea if music is different. However, I have been able to add movies from multiple libraries on different computers no problem.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
Just clear this up for me please....

Can you load movies that you have on DVD, or on your computer to a 5th Gen. iPod and successfully watch them? Apple really hasn't come out and said that you can watch just any video. Is it restricted to only the video avaible on iTMS?

Star136

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Jedi128 said:
Just clear this up for me please....

Can you load movies that you have on DVD, or on your computer to a 5th Gen. iPod and successfully watch them? Apple really hasn't come out and said that you can watch just any video. Is it restricted to only the video avaible on iTMS?
Although it's a little off topic - You can watch anything - it just needs to be in the right format. I've used the app PSP Video 9 with great sucess for this. I haven't tried anything longer than 15 minutes though.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
robbieduncan said:
No. An iPod can only be synced with 1 computer at a time.
That's only true if you are using auto-sync. If you choose "Manually Manage Songs and Playlists" you can copy stuff from multiple computers no problem.

e.g. http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorial/ip_gettingstarted_t3.html

I did this for a long time while I didn't have broadband at home.

What you lose is the updating of playcount, last played, updated ratings from the iPod, etc...

EDIT: On the 5G you probably want to make sure podcasts and videos are also set to not automatically update, since these settings are on different tabs.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.