Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
I have a late 2007 20" Aluminum iMac with a 500GB hard drive and I need more space. I have looked at the how to replace the HD and don't have any questions with the physical replacement. I am just really scared of getting my software back onto the new drive. I am looking for a larger, 2TB to 3TB drive that is faster than what I have. I think mine is 5400rpm so the new ones with 7200 should speed things up. A SSD would be faster but I need more capacity.

I am very nervous about the formatting and getting going again. I do have a Time Machine back up connected but I am just not sure what to do with the software.

Is there someone that can tell me what I need to do after I have done the physical replacement?:confused:

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
So I guess I will need a external enclosure, then;

1. put the new drive in it and transfer everything using CCC
2. remove the new drive from the enclosure
3. Install the new drive in the iMac.

Is that all correct? Is there anyway to just connect the drive with a cable and not have to purchase an external enclosure?

Thanks for your help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Here's a simple approach:
  1. Buy an external enclosure and put your old drive in it.
  2. Install your new drive in your Mac.
  3. Boot from your old (external) drive by holding the Option key on startup.
  4. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old (external) drive to the new (internal) drive.
  5. Boot from the new internal drive.
  6. Your now running on your new internal drive and your old drive is now an external drive, useful for backups or additional storage.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So I guess I will need a external enclosure, then;

1. put the new drive in it and transfer everything using CCC
2. remove the new drive from the enclosure
3. Install the new drive in the iMac.

Is that all correct? Is there anyway to just connect the drive with a cable and not have to purchase an external enclosure?

Thanks for your help.

Actually, I usually just buy an external drive that comes in a case. There are good drive enclosures, and there are bad ones, and it's hard to find out before you buy. And there is very, very little difference in price between external and internal drives.

My last 2.5 inch external drive had a screwless case - taking it apart and back together again without breaking was fun, using exactly the right amount of force :)

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
I'm not sure if this is applicable, but before you buy anything, check what kind over controller interface the MAC uses.

It will either be a sata connection or a pata/ide connection. The other information you'll need is if it's a 3.5" drive or a 2.5" drive.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm not sure if this is applicable, but before you buy anything, check what kind over controller interface the MAC uses.

It will either be a sata connection or a pata/ide connection. The other information you'll need is if it's a 3.5" drive or a 2.5" drive.

The 2007 iMac uses 3.5" S-ATA HDDs.

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Actually, I usually just buy an external drive that comes in a case. There are good drive enclosures, and there are bad ones, and it's hard to find out before you buy. And there is very, very little difference in price between external and internal drives.

My last 2.5 inch external drive had a screwless case - taking it apart and back together again without breaking was fun, using exactly the right amount of force :)

Keep in mind that the last computer I got inside was an old Windows machine.

So I can buy an external drive, do the cloning, and then open up the external case and stick it in the Mac? (provided it uses a 3.5" sata drive)? is that correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.