Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:36 AM   #1
lanny
macrumors newbie

Cool iPad 2 display too bright for night time use

I have read other threads but none recent or resolving the serious problem of the iPad screen brightness level at the lowest level being harmful to the eyes when used in night/dark. The available apple dimmers and browser dimmers do not resolve the problem for those of us who want to use our iPads into the night for games and other activities. I wonder if any tech/app designer could come up with something - I don't want to jailbreak for the Cydia app.
lanny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:56 AM   #2
RadDave
macrumors regular

Hi Lanny - also own an iPad 2 and the range for brightness control seems to be fairly broad although I've not really experimented in a darken room - are you sure that your brightness control is working properly? You might want to compare w/ another iPad, if available - also, if not done, Reset the device. If still an issue, a visit to an Apple Store may be helpful?

Finally, if your brightness control seems to be functioning, you might want to try a screen protector w/ anti-glare property (or one w/ some opaqueness like sunglasses) - BUT, good luck and let us know your solution -
RadDave is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:29 AM   #3
lanny
macrumors newbie

Smile Thanks to RadDave

Thanks for the ideas. I think the ultimate solution will require an app that allows brightness level dimming below factory settings. Cydia apparently has one but you must jailbreak to obtain that one. So far, all Apple apps go no lower than the settings already provided. The problem isn't glare but is the powerful emission of light when used in a darkened room, for example, when someone else is asleep. It feels as though it could burn your retinas. But again, thanks for your response!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:21 AM   #4
ikev85
macrumors member

Ever since the iPad 1 came out I wish the brightness could go one or two notches lower.

Perhaps try one of those screen filters?
ikev85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanny View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I think the ultimate solution will require an app that allows brightness level dimming below factory settings. Cydia apparently has one but you must jailbreak to obtain that one. So far, all Apple apps go no lower than the settings already provided. The problem isn't glare but is the powerful emission of light when used in a darkened room, for example, when someone else is asleep. It feels as though it could burn your retinas. But again, thanks for your response!
ALWAYS try jailbreaking whenever possible - don't listen to people telling you it's dangerous.

f.lux is one of the BEST tweaks ever released, particularly well suited for night-time reading.
Menneisyys2 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:45 PM   #6
lanny
macrumors newbie

IPad 2 display too bright for night time use

Guess I'm waiting for Apple to step up! Otherwise the device is hurting a lot of eyes, such an unnecessary discomfort.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Warrenn
macrumors newbie

How about custom make an iPad 2 screen size polarizing filter.
Warrenn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:28 AM   #8
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanny View Post
Guess I'm waiting for Apple to step up! Otherwise the device is hurting a lot of eyes, such an unnecessary discomfort.
lolz... then, you might have to wait for 10 years at least. Don't expect much from Apple.
Menneisyys2 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:51 AM   #9
tillsbury
macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is certainly too bright. The ipad3 is considerably better -- one of the main reasons I upgraded. I always read with Stanza and using the extra dimming available with this (with a pale blue on black text) makes it comfortable to read for long periods in absolute darkness. MegaReader now has this feature too, but it can't be done with 'normal' apps unfortunately. It would be great if Apple could lower the brightness further.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 04:12 AM   #10
quasinormal
Banned

My iPad 2 is fine it's lowest setting in the dark for me.

How about donning a pair of sunglasses?
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 04:18 AM   #11
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasinormal View Post
How about donning a pair of sunglasses?
Jailbreaking would fix the issue (f.lux + the various screen dimmer apps working just fine on the iPads too)... it's pretty ridiculous one has to use sunglasses(!) for something that Apple should have done at the first place.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:16 PM   #12
lanny
macrumors newbie

To quasinormal

Tried the sunglasses, as absurd as it is, it works quite well. Thanks, quasinormal!
Old May 5, 2013, 11:55 AM   #13
zachlegomaniac
macrumors 6502

I've actually done this too, but more to see if it worked. Don't want to fall asleep on my ray-bans!
zachlegomaniac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 02:27 PM   #14
Toltepeceno
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
ALWAYS try jailbreaking whenever possible - don't listen to people telling you it's dangerous.

f.lux is one of the BEST tweaks ever released, particularly well suited for night-time reading.
This. Jailbreaking is the way to go.
Old May 12, 2013, 08:39 PM   #15
uugg
macrumors newbie

I looked at an iPad 1st generation in the dark for a few seconds and my eyes have been burning for weeks. Has this happened to anyone else?
uugg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 01:09 AM   #16
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by uugg View Post
I looked at an iPad 1st generation in the dark for a few seconds and my eyes have been burning for weeks. Has this happened to anyone else?
Jb it and install f.lux.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:00 AM   #17
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by uugg View Post
That may just be due to the non-retina display.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps