Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1
fairplayinc
macrumors newbie

iCarbons, Sticker Boy, etc --- NO Apple Logo????

Sorry if I'm late to the gate on this one but the is absolute BS!

Both iCarbons and sticker boy, as well as others I'm sure, got a letter FROM APPLE asking them to stop using the Apple cutout as it could be trademark infringement.

Why would Apple want to shut down something that glamorizes there product and logo!?!? I have bought at least a dozen iCarbons skins for various products and everyone raves about how great it make the devices look.

WAKE UP APPLE!!! STOP BULLYING THE LITTLE GUYS!!!

Apple's overwhelming need for control will be there downfall.

Sorry, all of this over a sticker.

End Rant.
fairplayinc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2
jonAppleSeed
macrumors regular

Did they license the design from Apple?
No? Then it's trademark infringement.
jonAppleSeed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:11 AM   #3
jpmcnown
macrumors member

If it serves Apple, then they are ALL about people mistaking other products as their own. You'd think Apple would WANT people to see that logo. Really, just another nail in the coffin.

I remember having the original iPad, and everyone would come up asking "Oooh, is that the iPad?" But if Apple no longer wants their products publicly recognized, screw em. I would call those places back, and ask if you can get an iPad Mini skin with a Windows 8 logo, or Samsung logo instead. Having a Windows 8 logo on your iPad Mini isn't going to "magically" improve it's functionality, but at least people won't think you're a barista.

Last edited by jpmcnown; Apr 17, 2013 at 05:25 PM.
jpmcnown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:24 PM   #4
glen e
macrumors 68030

Appleseed above gets it.....it's business....by protecting what they own, they enhance value...take some econ 101....
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 03:55 PM   #5
fairplayinc
macrumors newbie

Apple should pick there battles.

If they want to dangle there big swinging D in the faces of the little guys, they could at least offer a similar product. A product that the consumer base obviously wants.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 05:01 PM   #6
dastinger
macrumors 6502a

Just tell me something, please. What did they stop doing? Did they stop cutting the logo or just stop adding the little piece of skin to put on top of the Apple logo?

This is regarding a Macbook Pro skin but I think it's the same.
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 05:04 PM   #7
fairplayinc
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastinger View Post
Just tell me something, please. What did they stop doing? Did they stop cutting the logo or just stop adding the little piece of skin to put on top of the Apple logo?

This is regarding a Macbook Pro skin but I think it's the same.
They stopped cutting the logo all together.
fairplayinc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:57 PM   #8
dastinger
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplayinc View Post
They stopped cutting the logo all together.
Really? What the...? FFS, sometimes I just don't understand what Apple is doing

I was thinking about buying one to put it together with a smartshell and now I don't even know. Really disappointed at this

Thank you for the insight
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:13 PM   #9
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502

i can hear what apple is doing. in the first place this is not an Apple product so they do have the right to do ask them to stop putting an Apple logo. you do have an actual Ipad in there and you're just adding a protection so why complain if there is no Apple logo. copyright is what they are after. they have the right to protect their brand. it's their logo and only them can use it. also, people might start suing Apple if something happened to a customer who has the iCarbon. they will say hey this is your product as it has your logo in their....so i will sue you as my ipad has some scratches, etc, etc...
vmaniqui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:25 PM   #10
fairplayinc
macrumors newbie

Please see the attached photo. This is my MacBook Air. I think that it looks freaking awesome with this iCarbons skin on it.

Now compare that to one that has no cutaway and you will see the difference between a great looking enhancement to a product via an awesome product and a great product who's glowing logo is snuffed out by a solid piece of 3M carbon.

Night and day.

This isn't about trademark infringement, it's about control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	408354  

Last edited by fairplayinc; May 12, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:35 AM   #11
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Please see the attached photo. This is my MacBook Air. It's my opinion that it looks freaking awesome with this iCarbons skin on it.

Now compare that to one that has no cutaway and you will see the difference between a great looking enhancement to a product via an awesome product and a great product who's glowing logo is snuffed out by a solid piece of 3M carbon.

Night and day.

FYI....

Unauthorized Use of Apple Trademarks

2. Apple Logo and Apple-owned Graphic Symbols: You may not use the Apple Logo or any other Apple-owned graphic symbol, logo, or icon on or in connection with web sites, products, packaging, manuals, promotional/advertising materials, or for any other purpose except pursuant to an express written trademark license from Apple, such as a reseller agreement.

if they do have an agreement, i don't think apple will prevent them but i guess they don't.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:49 AM   #12
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Please see the attached photo. This is my MacBook Air. It's my opinion that it looks freaking awesome with this iCarbons skin on it.

Night and day.

Personally, I think it looks really horrid. It doesn't matter if it looks freaking awesome or not, trademark infringement is what it is. Of course the entity behind the trademark wants control. That is just common sense. If I create some logo or whatever, I would want to control how it's being used. I wouldn't want just anyone and everyone to use it however they pleased.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:53 AM   #13
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowleopard2008 View Post
personally, i think it looks really horrid. It doesn't matter if it looks freaking awesome or not, trademark infringement is what it is. Of course the entity behind the trademark wants control. That is just common sense. If i create some logo or whatever, i would want to control how it's being used. I wouldn't want just anyone and everyone to use it however they pleased.
+1.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:33 AM   #14
jpmcnown
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Personally, I think it looks really horrid. It doesn't matter if it looks freaking awesome or not, trademark infringement is what it is. Of course the entity behind the trademark wants control. That is just common sense. If I create some logo or whatever, I would want to control how it's being used. I wouldn't want just anyone and everyone to use it however they pleased.
+2 I agree, Using the Apple logo, makes anything look horrid. If you're looking for a sticker that'll get you props on this site, you've gotta have at least some marriage equality stickers and rainbows, that'll look magical.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 05:15 PM   #15
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

If you stop protecting your trademark, you stand a chance of losing your trademark.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:23 PM   #16
glen e
macrumors 68030

This thread breaks this way:

if you are in business, you understand what apple is doing

If you are still in school or not in biz, you think everyone should be able to use the logo....

it's that simple
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:59 PM   #17
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post

If you are still in school or not in biz or are 12 years old or less, don't have a clue, think the world revolves around you, you think everyone should be able to use the logo....
Some additions to assist people in determining what camp they are in.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:05 PM   #18
glen e
macrumors 68030

excellent additions.....LOL
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:55 PM   #19
BarryL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post

If you are still in school or not in biz, you think everyone should be able to use the logo....

it's that simple
Best statement of the day.
BarryL is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:20 PM   #20
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

What's so bad about covering up a company's logo? Are you that proud of advertising for them? It's not like the iPad will look any worse with its logo covered up by your favorite skin..
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:31 PM   #21
fairplayinc
macrumors newbie

I'm over it. I called Apple and got nowhere in my attempt to gain "permission" to use the logo. I got a tele prompt that told me to email them. I emailed them and got a reply to call them.

So I have decided to make my own. Maybe that is the only way to get there attention. Because God knows they certainly don't listen to customers.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:19 PM   #22
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm over it. I called Apple and got nowhere in my attempt to gain "permission" to use the logo. I got a tele prompt that told me to email them. I emailed them and got a reply to call them.

So I have decided to make my own. Maybe that is the only way to get there attention. Because God knows they certainly don't listen to customers.
you're trying to contact apple to get permission to use their logo ? initially you said you're pissed off that iCarbon is getting rid of Apple logo. it will take more than a phone/email to get their attention or give you permit to use their logo. calling them will not accomplish anything. this is a legal matter and now you're complaining that they are not listening to you. as what others are saying - what's the difference if there is an Apple logo on your iCarbon/case ? will it make your apple product superior to other apple product ?

Last edited by vmaniqui; Apr 22, 2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:40 PM   #23
jpmcnown
macrumors member

This thread breaks two ways:

1>Those that would defend Apple molesting children as a clear business strategy that if not understood, is clearly because you're an idiot.

2>Those that understand that it's a ridiculously bad marketing strategy for Apple to not want their brand/image plastered in as many places as possible, particularly when Apple themselves don't offer a competing product.

3>Those that can't count
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:28 PM   #24
TC25
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcnown View Post
This thread breaks two ways:

1>Those that would defend Apple molesting children as a clear business strategy that if not understood, is clearly because you're an idiot.

2>Those that understand that it's a ridiculously bad marketing strategy for Apple to not want their brand/image plastered in as many places as possible, particularly when Apple themselves don't offer a competing product.

3>Those that can't count
You two are not stupid, just ignorant and your posts show it by their irrelevance. Read up on what trademarks are and why companies like Apple have to defend them.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:25 AM   #25
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlicious View Post
i totally agree with you, they need to stop suing everybody
What don't you understand about a company needing to protect it's intellectual property?

It doesn't matter whether it's a big company using their trademarked/copyrighted intellectual property or a mom-and-pop company using it. If Apple doesn't protect their IP, they could lose it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories