Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fairplayinc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Sorry if I'm late to the gate on this one but the is absolute BS!

Both iCarbons and sticker boy, as well as others I'm sure, got a letter FROM APPLE asking them to stop using the Apple cutout as it could be trademark infringement.

Why would Apple want to shut down something that glamorizes there product and logo!?!? I have bought at least a dozen iCarbons skins for various products and everyone raves about how great it make the devices look.

WAKE UP APPLE!!! STOP BULLYING THE LITTLE GUYS!!!

Apple's overwhelming need for control will be there downfall.

Sorry, all of this over a sticker.

End Rant.

jpmcnown

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2011
If it serves Apple, then they are ALL about people mistaking other products as their own. You'd think Apple would WANT people to see that logo. Really, just another nail in the coffin.

I remember having the original iPad, and everyone would come up asking "Oooh, is that the iPad?" But if Apple no longer wants their products publicly recognized, screw em. I would call those places back, and ask if you can get an iPad Mini skin with a Windows 8 logo, or Samsung logo instead. Having a Windows 8 logo on your iPad Mini isn't going to "magically" improve it's functionality, but at least people won't think you're a barista.

Last edited:

fairplayinc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Apple should pick there battles.

If they want to dangle there big swinging D in the faces of the little guys, they could at least offer a similar product. A product that the consumer base obviously wants.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Just tell me something, please. What did they stop doing? Did they stop cutting the logo or just stop adding the little piece of skin to put on top of the Apple logo?

This is regarding a Macbook Pro skin but I think it's the same.

fairplayinc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Just tell me something, please. What did they stop doing? Did they stop cutting the logo or just stop adding the little piece of skin to put on top of the Apple logo?

This is regarding a Macbook Pro skin but I think it's the same.

They stopped cutting the logo all together.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
They stopped cutting the logo all together.
Really? What the...? FFS, sometimes I just don't understand what Apple is doing :mad:

I was thinking about buying one to put it together with a smartshell and now I don't even know. Really disappointed at this :(

Thank you for the insight

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
i can hear what apple is doing. in the first place this is not an Apple product so they do have the right to do ask them to stop putting an Apple logo. you do have an actual Ipad in there and you're just adding a protection so why complain if there is no Apple logo. copyright is what they are after. they have the right to protect their brand. it's their logo and only them can use it. also, people might start suing Apple if something happened to a customer who has the iCarbon. they will say hey this is your product as it has your logo in their....so i will sue you as my ipad has some scratches, etc, etc...

fairplayinc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Please see the attached photo. This is my MacBook Air. I think that it looks freaking awesome with this iCarbons skin on it.

Now compare that to one that has no cutaway and you will see the difference between a great looking enhancement to a product via an awesome product and a great product who's glowing logo is snuffed out by a solid piece of 3M carbon.

Night and day.

This isn't about trademark infringement, it's about control.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 253
Last edited:

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Please see the attached photo. This is my MacBook Air. It's my opinion that it looks freaking awesome with this iCarbons skin on it.

Now compare that to one that has no cutaway and you will see the difference between a great looking enhancement to a product via an awesome product and a great product who's glowing logo is snuffed out by a solid piece of 3M carbon.

Night and day.

FYI....

Unauthorized Use of Apple Trademarks

2. Apple Logo and Apple-owned Graphic Symbols: You may not use the Apple Logo or any other Apple-owned graphic symbol, logo, or icon on or in connection with web sites, products, packaging, manuals, promotional/advertising materials, or for any other purpose except pursuant to an express written trademark license from Apple, such as a reseller agreement.

if they do have an agreement, i don't think apple will prevent them but i guess they don't.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Please see the attached photo. This is my MacBook Air. It's my opinion that it looks freaking awesome with this iCarbons skin on it.

Night and day.

Personally, I think it looks really horrid. It doesn't matter if it looks freaking awesome or not, trademark infringement is what it is. Of course the entity behind the trademark wants control. That is just common sense. If I create some logo or whatever, I would want to control how it's being used. I wouldn't want just anyone and everyone to use it however they pleased.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
personally, i think it looks really horrid. It doesn't matter if it looks freaking awesome or not, trademark infringement is what it is. Of course the entity behind the trademark wants control. That is just common sense. If i create some logo or whatever, i would want to control how it's being used. I wouldn't want just anyone and everyone to use it however they pleased.

+1.

jpmcnown

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2011
Personally, I think it looks really horrid. It doesn't matter if it looks freaking awesome or not, trademark infringement is what it is. Of course the entity behind the trademark wants control. That is just common sense. If I create some logo or whatever, I would want to control how it's being used. I wouldn't want just anyone and everyone to use it however they pleased.

+2 I agree, Using the Apple logo, makes anything look horrid. If you're looking for a sticker that'll get you props on this site, you've gotta have at least some marriage equality stickers and rainbows, that'll look magical.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
If you stop protecting your trademark, you stand a chance of losing your trademark.

Regards,
Tom

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
This thread breaks this way:

if you are in business, you understand what apple is doing

If you are still in school or not in biz, you think everyone should be able to use the logo....

it's that simple

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011

If you are still in school or not in biz or are 12 years old or less, don't have a clue, think the world revolves around you, you think everyone should be able to use the logo....

Some additions to assist people in determining what camp they are in.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012

If you are still in school or not in biz, you think everyone should be able to use the logo....

it's that simple

Best statement of the day.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
What's so bad about covering up a company's logo? Are you that proud of advertising for them? It's not like the iPad will look any worse with its logo covered up by your favorite skin..

fairplayinc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
I'm over it. I called Apple and got nowhere in my attempt to gain "permission" to use the logo. I got a tele prompt that told me to email them. I emailed them and got a reply to call them.

So I have decided to make my own. Maybe that is the only way to get there attention. Because God knows they certainly don't listen to customers.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I'm over it. I called Apple and got nowhere in my attempt to gain "permission" to use the logo. I got a tele prompt that told me to email them. I emailed them and got a reply to call them.

So I have decided to make my own. Maybe that is the only way to get there attention. Because God knows they certainly don't listen to customers.

you're trying to contact apple to get permission to use their logo ? initially you said you're pissed off that iCarbon is getting rid of Apple logo. it will take more than a phone/email to get their attention or give you permit to use their logo. calling them will not accomplish anything. this is a legal matter and now you're complaining that they are not listening to you. as what others are saying - what's the difference if there is an Apple logo on your iCarbon/case ? will it make your apple product superior to other apple product ?

Last edited:

jpmcnown

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2011
This thread breaks two ways:

1>Those that would defend Apple molesting children as a clear business strategy that if not understood, is clearly because you're an idiot.

2>Those that understand that it's a ridiculously bad marketing strategy for Apple to not want their brand/image plastered in as many places as possible, particularly when Apple themselves don't offer a competing product.

3>Those that can't count

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011

This thread breaks two ways:

1>Those that would defend Apple molesting children as a clear business strategy that if not understood, is clearly because you're an idiot.

2>Those that understand that it's a ridiculously bad marketing strategy for Apple to not want their brand/image plastered in as many places as possible, particularly when Apple themselves don't offer a competing product.

3>Those that can't count

You two are not stupid, just ignorant and your posts show it by their irrelevance. Read up on what trademarks are and why companies like Apple have to defend them.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
i totally agree with you, they need to stop suing everybody
What don't you understand about a company needing to protect it's intellectual property?

It doesn't matter whether it's a big company using their trademarked/copyrighted intellectual property or a mom-and-pop company using it. If Apple doesn't protect their IP, they could lose it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.