Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:20 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Rolomotion Aims to Bring Wii-Style Gaming to Apple TV and iPhone

Rolocule's Rolomotion is designed to convert an iPhone or an iPod touch into a motion controller, similar to a Nintendo Wii Remote. The iPhone motion controller combines with games streamed over AirPlay using the Apple TV, allowing for motion-based gaming directly on a television.

The Rolomotion concept takes advantage of the iPhone's gyroscope, magnetometer and accelerometer to track movements, which are then translated on the screen.

Motion Tennis, the first game that incorporates Rolomotion, plays similarly to Wii Sports Tennis on the Wii gaming console. The iPhone is used as a tennis racket, and when swung, the character on the screen will swing as well.

According to Rolocule, Motion Tennis uses in-game optimizations to minimize mirroring lag and will also feature a multiplayer mode.

As with all products of this type, enticing developers to use the technology is a significant hurdle to overcome. Rolocule is planning on releasing additional games in the future, but there is no word on whether an SDK will be made available.

The company is planning on sending out a limited number of beta invites during the last week of April to prospective gamers who sign up on the website.

Article Link: Rolomotion Aims to Bring Wii-Style Gaming to Apple TV and iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:31 PM   #2
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

This way I can break my phone AND my TV...
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Based on Wii U sales, or lack thereof, isn't this fad played out?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:42 PM   #4
iAppl3Fan
macrumors 6502a

Very innovative way of thinking. Keep it up!
iAppl3Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:44 PM   #5
charlituna
macrumors G3

Some of their claims are false given that games like Real Racing have Apple TV modes and use motion based controls.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Well i signed up for a chance at the beta. I know there are games out there that you can play through airplay, so I am interested to see this one. Since I have not played the ones out there not sure what the difference is in approach, but if I like this, I might try others. I know my wife will be happy to hear that I will be spending more time with my iToys
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Aren't the Wii remotes bluetooth? I'd rather use those... not everyone has an iPod touch or iPhone. It should be an option to use an iPhone as a controller, yes - but 300$+ remotes for a 99$ TV seems a bit insane.
Yvan256 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:30 PM   #8
alex00100
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDRock1154 View Post
This way I can break my phone AND my TV...
Thats what people were saying when wii was being released.
alex00100 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex00100 View Post
I think his point is that a Wii remote doesn't cost 300-800$.
Yvan256 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10
rikscha
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
Aren't the Wii remotes bluetooth? I'd rather use those... not everyone has an iPod touch or iPhone. It should be an option to use an iPhone as a controller, yes - but 300$+ remotes for a 99$ TV seems a bit insane.
I just tried to call my mother from my Wii controller and couldn't get through. Perhaps you have an idea?
rikscha is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 04:00 PM   #11
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikscha View Post
I just tried to call my mother from my Wii controller and couldn't get through. Perhaps you have an idea?
You're holding it wrong.
Koodauw is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 04:57 PM   #12
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

The only device I would think safe to play with like this would be the iPod touch fifth-gen, since it actually has a wrist strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Based on Wii U sales, or lack thereof, isn't this fad played out?
What does the Wii U have to do with anything? Unlike its predecessor, its primary catch is not motion controls. In fact it tries to compete more with tablet devices.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex00100 View Post
Quote:
And some TVs were broken. That's why later Wiimotes came with the condom... err, jacket and an improved wrist strap.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 05:00 PM   #13
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

I think this makes sense if you already have an iPod Touch 5 (minimum required to AirPlay video in real time to ATV) or iPhone capable of it AND an AppleTV. I don't see anyone buying those from scratch just to play those games. As some have pointed out, there's a real danger of sending your iOS device flying through the air, though. I would want a safety strap setup of some kind before I'd even consider it.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 06:04 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Digital sports games are boring. If you want to kick a ball/swing a tennis racket, go outside and actually do it. I don't understand why these games are still being manufactured.

The thing I hate most is that these games are growing in size too. I tried the latest golf game they have out right now on my iPad, and it was 1GB. Totally not worth it. It's freaking golf for crying out loud.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 06:10 PM   #15
flottenheimer
macrumors 65816

Very nice idea. Huge potential.

Now go polish the tennis game to be as good or better than Wii Tennis then do the same with Bowling.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:06 PM   #16
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Aren't the Wii remotes bluetooth? I'd rather use those... not everyone has an iPod touch or iPhone.
To use the Wii remote with an Apple TV, you'd need to jailbreak the Apple TV. With an iPhone or an iPod touch, you only need to install an app.
And you can get a 4th gen iPod touch new for $199, or used for a lot less.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:33 PM   #17
Gigaman
macrumors regular

I've been waiting for this to come (with developers utilizing all of those aspects if the iPhone). This is great for gaming (take Wii units sold as proof). In a way, wii style gaming is already here with AirPlay mirroring and racing games, but it should definitely keep expanding.

How has Apple not introduced this yet, or seen more potential in the Apple TV. Or maybe these guys beat them to the punch.

Either way, wear wrist straps!
Ps. Who doesn't have an iDevice these days...

Last edited by Gigaman; Apr 17, 2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Extra note
Gigaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:23 AM   #18
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Digital sports games are boring. If you want to kick a ball/swing a tennis racket, go outside and actually do it.
You could say that about 90% of ALL games that don't involve killing things or people. It's not the point. You don't seem to get video games at all and probably never will if you think a Nintendo sports game has ANYTHING to do with being able to play real sports.

A line from the Matrix is apt. You think that's air you're breathing? Well, it's the same with video games. You can be great at a video game version of a sport and suck at the real thing and vise versa. The control mechanisms are very different (even with more motion on a Wii controller). Weather isn't a factor and neither is lower mobility for the most part (i.e. a person in a wheel chair can still play Wii bowling). Cost is less in most cases as well (bowling runs $3-6 a game per person at most places I've been to lately depending on the time of day).

Video games might help with hand-eye coordination, but they're mostly about indoor relaxing entertainment. Playing football on video game system isn't going to wear you out and you don't need a whole neighborhood block worth of kids to form two teams in order to play plus there's usually coach options, etc. as well to play with in the game. The list goes on and on. Yeah, go swing that tennis racket by yourself and see how much fun it is, assuming you have somewhere to play it.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 07:13 AM   #19
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
And some TVs were broken. That's why later Wiimotes came with the condom... err, jacket and an improved wrist strap.
Bingo
Old Apr 18, 2013, 07:50 AM   #20
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
What does the Wii U have to do with anything? Unlike its predecessor, its primary catch is not motion controls. In fact it tries to compete more with tablet devices.[COLOR="#808080"]
You got me... I'm not all that familiar with all that the Wii U does, but even Wii sales are in the tank and MS and PS3's motion control systems not exactly the rage right now. Just saying motion control is a gimmick, period. It was a novelty and fun for a while, but it got old.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion