Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Verix
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
New Air & Higher Resolution

I have been contemplating moving from my 13 MBP to a 10-inch air as my go-to laptop for a long time now. At first I was set on getting an MBA the moment they tweak the bezel, either making it smaller or making it black, but..

As of right now, there's only one thing I want my new computer to have and that's a 1080p screen. Looking at the competitor computers in the ultrabook market, a lot of them feature this or at least have the option. But I want a Mac.

My current MPB works just fine for all intents and purposes, so an ancient resolution display would seriously keep me from taking the plunge and buying the new MBA.

Knowing apple, though, they either go all out with a retina option or stick to the current displays which they know the suckers that need an Air will buy either way.

So~ what's the chance that my wish will be granted for the incoming refresh?

Thanks for reading.
Verix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Steve121178
macrumors 68020
 
Steve121178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verix View Post
So~ what's the chance that my wish will be granted for the incoming refresh?
I don't think it's out the question to see the 11" MBA go from 1366x768 to 1080p seeing as many tablets and even smartphones offer this resolution these days. However, why offer a 1080p screen when you can include a Retina display? Adding a 1080p option will just fragment things further.

But a more expensive screen would eat into Apple's precious profits. I am expecting a slightly lower price point after the refresh to encourage sales so I can't see them going to town with upgrading the current hardware. I think we'll probably just see a minor refresh with a CPU update that that will be all.

I personally can't see a MacBook Air redesign happening this year.
__________________
13" rMBP Haswell i5/16GB/512GB (Late '13) 21.5" iMac i5/16GB/1TB Fusion (Late '12) iPhone 6 64GB iPad mini 2
Steve121178 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
I don't think it's out the question to see the 11" MBA go from 1366x768 to 1080p seeing as many tablets and even smartphones offer this resolution these days. However, why offer a 1080p screen when you can include a Retina display? Adding a 1080p option will just fragment things further.
...
A 1080P screen will use less power than a Retina display. And cost less. And on a computer, multiple screen resolutions don't hamper software developement like the fragmentation in say the Android tablet and phone market. Also, the 21" iMac is a 1080P screen, so that's even less of an issue on software design.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Verix
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
A 1080P screen will use less power than a Retina display. And cost less. And on a computer, multiple screen resolutions don't hamper software developement like the fragmentation in say the Android tablet and phone market. Also, the 21" iMac is a 1080P screen, so that's even less of an issue on software design.
1080p would be a logical move to step up the game, especially looking at competitor ultrabooks and tablets. I see retina+redesign definitely coming in the future, but for now a slight display+cpu+gpu tech bump would be very, very welcome.

At the same time, knowing Apple they would definitely try to get away with the now rather lacking 768p/900p resolution for as long as possible. I really hope that won't be the case, air + 1080p is all I need for the coming (many) years honestly.
Verix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:03 PM   #5
aooga12
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I'm kind of in the same boat as you, OP. So does anyone know when we'll be hearing any news (like at a convention) about a release window?
aooga12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Stetrain
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
The problem is the way that UI scaling works currently in OSX.

If you had a 1080p display in an 11" Air, you would either have super tiny text and buttons by running at 1x scaling, or super huge text and buttons by running in 2x 'retina' mode.

2x mode on a 1080p display would make text and other UI elements the same physical size as they would be on a 960x540 display.
Stetrain is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:28 PM   #7
stchman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verix View Post
I have been contemplating moving from my 13 MBP to a 10-inch air as my go-to laptop for a long time now. At first I was set on getting an MBA the moment they tweak the bezel, either making it smaller or making it black, but..

As of right now, there's only one thing I want my new computer to have and that's a 1080p screen. Looking at the competitor computers in the ultrabook market, a lot of them feature this or at least have the option. But I want a Mac.

My current MPB works just fine for all intents and purposes, so an ancient resolution display would seriously keep me from taking the plunge and buying the new MBA.

Knowing apple, though, they either go all out with a retina option or stick to the current displays which they know the suckers that need an Air will buy either way.

So~ what's the chance that my wish will be granted for the incoming refresh?

Thanks for reading.
I've never understood all the fuss about having 1080p on laptops.

Do you plan on watching 1080p video on your 11.6" screen? IMO it would be a waste.

Even on a 15.4" laptop screen, 1080p would still be hard to see.

With as small as the MBA 11" screen is, 1080p would make thing almost unreadable.
stchman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:38 PM   #8
robdrj45
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Does the Air need a clearer, sharper display? No, its display is fine. However, looking at a Retina Pro screen, one can definitely see a difference..it just looks better. I like my Air - best computer I've owned - but a Retina display would make it ideal. I often use the power cord, so I don't need a super long battery life.
__________________
2012 13''Air, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD
robdrj45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 03:55 AM   #9
caramelpolice
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetrain View Post
The problem is the way that UI scaling works currently in OSX.

If you had a 1080p display in an 11" Air, you would either have super tiny text and buttons by running at 1x scaling, or super huge text and buttons by running in 2x 'retina' mode.

2x mode on a 1080p display would make text and other UI elements the same physical size as they would be on a 960x540 display.
Bingo. OS X wouldn't work on an 11" 1080p screen. Most likely they'll just skip straight to Retina resolutions.
caramelpolice is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:42 AM   #10
Miat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
1080 would probably work on a 13" MBA, but not on an 11".
Miat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:50 PM   #11
stchman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miat View Post
1080 would probably work on a 13" MBA, but not on an 11".
I don't think Apple will put a Retina display on a 13" MBA as they already have a 13" rMBP.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 04:24 PM   #12
peleh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I think you're missing the point, Air models are about portability and need battery power, put a retina on a 11" model and you probably will struggle with battery life and system speed. My guess is that you need a lot more cpu power and battery autonomy to get there, which will cost a lot more.

One thing that Apple should have done is by putting IPS panel with the current resolution, at least you get really decent colors and text.
peleh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Stetrain
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by peleh View Post
One thing that Apple should have done is by putting IPS panel with the current resolution, at least you get really decent colors and text.
I think that this is likely. 1366x768 is perfectly fine for the 11" model until it goes retina at some point in the (not so near) future.

A nice quality IPS display with better colors and viewing angles would be a better improvment. Also maybe a slightly larger display in the same form factor.
Stetrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:04 PM   #14
LeeM
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
i discovered screen sharing tonight and have been playing about on my air and macbook with 1080p screen.
1080p makes everything far too small on the 11" screen, 720 res is perfect. the only time i see it changing is with a retina
LeeM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 03:26 PM   #15
PPFee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
so what i am wandering is if any of the higher res screens out there from 1080p to the more ridiculous 11.6" ers can be subsited with a little work and manually put in the air, just as one would go about during a screen replacement except possibly needing a display connector soldered or something, i dont know, which is why i am asking.
PPFee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Tags
macbook air, resolution

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
so the new 2014 MacBook Air still has the same screen size & resolution as the 2013? watermelonbook MacBook Air 5 Apr 30, 2014 02:39 PM
Higher resolution (not 4k) via HDMI? km9898 MacBook Pro 12 Mar 21, 2014 12:25 AM
iPad: Contrast set higher on the Air? White balance & Contrast control would help. betabeta iPad 1 Nov 10, 2013 06:30 PM
Higher DPI Means Higher Resolution (Really?) leerkeller Digital Photography 4 Jun 13, 2013 09:37 AM
Higher resolution between 13 and 15 Retina dongwe MacBook Pro 6 May 24, 2013 09:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC