Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:57 AM   #1
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Explosion at Texas fertilizer plant

Several confirmed dead so far, with dozens more feared to have the same fate. Some pretty unreal video of the blast was actually caught.

Been a rough few days.

Last edited by OllyW; Apr 18, 2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Please use youtube tags
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:32 AM   #2
mscriv
macrumors 68040

My brother in law is a firefighter here in the DFW area and last night he was called in to help with one of the more local departments who were on the scene. It's been a crazy night from what I've been told. Several homes have been destroyed and the damage is pretty extensive.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:02 AM   #3
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Certainly been a rough week. Not to be an ass but what the hell is a fertilizer plant doing in a residential neighborhood?
rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Not to be an ass but what the hell is a fertilizer plant doing in a residential neighborhood?
I don't know for sure but could be that the neighborhood built up around the plant.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

It must have been incredibly loud for the kid to lose his or her hearing at that distance. Man that was terrible!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:23 AM   #6
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
It must have been incredibly loud for the kid to lose his or her hearing at that distance. Man that was terrible!
Been reports that the blast was heard 45 miles away. Registered as a 2.1 earthquake.
ugahairydawgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:26 AM   #7
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

I don't so much think it was the loudness of the blast that caused her to lose her hearing. It was most likely the pressure differential and sound blast that cause the temporary hearing loss.

I heard a report on the radio this morning that this explosion registered on the richter scale at a 2.8. That is rather amazing (and disturbing) when you think about it.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostuff1 View Post
I don't so much think it was the loudness of the blast that caused her to lose her hearing. It was most likely the pressure differential and sound blast that cause the temporary hearing loss.
That makes sense. Thanks..
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:59 AM   #9
MacNut
macrumors P6

Do we know if this was an accident or other yet? It just seems far to coincidental. The Waco anniversary is right round the corner.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:03 AM   #10
snberk103
macrumors 603

I'm sure the next time dad asks who wants to go watch fire at an industrial plant whose materials are used in large bombs - the kids are going to ask if they could just stay home and toss lit firecrackers at each other. More fun, and safer too.

Sympathies to the families who have lost loved ones, their homes, their livelihoods.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:13 AM   #11
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
I don't know for sure but could be that the neighborhood built up around the plant.
OK, I'll restate my question. Who the hell builds up homes, schools and nursing homes near a fertilizer plant?
rdowns is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:14 AM   #12
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
OK, I'll restate my question. Who the hell builds up homes, schools and nursing homes near a fertilizer plant?
The same people who complain about the noise of an airport when they move in.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:14 AM   #13
eric/

Quote:
People that work near there that don't want a long drive?

This has been a bad week for America.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:38 PM   #14
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
People who can't afford to buy elsewhere...
Old Apr 18, 2013, 01:30 PM   #15
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
West is not a large town. The plant was probably one of the major employers in town, so some people might want to have lived nearby.

As big as that explosion was, you probably didn't need to be very close to it for your house to sustain some damage.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:15 PM   #16
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
Several confirmed dead so far, with dozens more feared to have the same fate. Some pretty unreal video of the blast was actually caught.

YouTube: video
Holy Crap. They are lucky they survived. MSNBC interviewed the local Congressman about the proximity of the plant to schools, homes, a nursing home. He said it was a 'wakeup call'. Really? This is not the first time a fertilizer plant has exploded. In many, many cases rules, regulations, zoning, are written in blood. From my time spent in aviation, this is definitely the case for airlines. It's been reported that the plant owner when going over emergency contingency plans, did not acknowledge this could ever happen. Of course, it would cost money such as buying out the surrounding neighborhoods or moving the plant somewhere else.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 04:08 PM   #17
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Wow, that was a pretty amazing video. Can't imagine how houses were allowed to be built so close to the plant.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:13 PM   #18
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Wow, that was a pretty amazing video. Can't imagine how houses were allowed to be built so close to the plant.
Texas has exceedingly lax zoning laws as I recall.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Apr 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
APlotdevice is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:30 AM   #19
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Certainly been a rough week. Not to be an ass but what the hell is a fertilizer plant doing in a residential neighborhood?
Very typical rural area, small town zoning restrictions.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:35 PM   #20
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Do we know if this was an accident or other yet? It just seems far to coincidental. The Waco anniversary is right round the corner.
From what I read yesterday, it was the firefighters using water on burning ammonia nitrate that caused the huge explosion.
DUCKofD3ATH is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:48 PM   #21
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular

Quote:
Do you live near a grain elevator, coal mine, wood mill, or flour mill? Those things can go off just like the fertilizer plant did in Texas. Anywhere there's lots of combustible dust in an enclosed space can explode like a thermobaric or fuel-air bomb.

Nuclear power plants are much much safer neighbors.
DUCKofD3ATH is online now   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events