Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:30 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Lower-Cost iPhone's Plastic Rear Shell Reportedly Surfaces

Earlier this week, case manufacturer Tactus was one of several sources to share photos of cases reportedly designed for the fifth-generation iPad, once again showing that the device is expected to be smaller than the existing iPad and take design cues from the iPad mini.

Today, the company shares a photo of what is said to be the rear shell of Apple's rumored lower-cost iPhone. In line with previous rumors, the part appears to be manufactured from plastic.

The part is also consistent with iLounge's January description of the device, carrying a design somewhat similar to the iPod classic with a flat back and curved edges, as well as a shift to elongated volume buttons along the left side.

The report also shares a number of other claimed details about the device, including word of an A5 chip, a 5-megapixel rear camera, and five color options of black, white, blue, red, and yellow. The device is also claimed to carry a 3.5-inch Retina display rather than the 4-inch display seen in the iPhone 5, although that detail conflicts with reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's claims of a 4-inch display for the lower-cost iPhone.

Finally, Tactus claims that the lower-cost iPhone will launch on October 15 and be priced at $300, although we place little faith in those details given that any source for part leaks likely coming through Apple's supply chain or accessory manufacturers would not be aware of Apple's specific launch plans. The report also claims that the rear shell is 0.4-0.6 mm thick, which is obviously not an accurate measurement and is likely a misreporting of previous claims that it would be 0.4-0.6 mm thicker than the iPhone 5.

We also can not verify whether this is indeed a legitimate rear shell for Apple's lower-cost iPhone. It could simply be manufactured based on circulating rumors, but even if fake it could be an accurate representation if it is based on design specs leaking through case makers. Case makers have a number of times created accurate physical mockups of Apple's upcoming devices, although they have on occasion been incorrect.

Article Link: Lower-Cost iPhone's Plastic Rear Shell Reportedly Surfaces
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:33 AM   #2
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Looks very mid 2000s macbook. I like it a lot.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:33 AM   #3
seniorchang
macrumors member

The beginning of the end.
seniorchang is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Serelus
macrumors Demi-God

Literally anyone could of made that... literally anybody.
Serelus is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Eminemdrdre00
macrumors 6502a

So is this going to be $300 and unlocked, like Google's Nexus phones? That would be awesome!
16GB iPad Air
Eminemdrdre00 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:35 AM   #6
MISTER-VIP
macrumors newbie

O Please what will make people Buy it if nowadays people start hating the UI,,No point of having cheaper iphone where nothing will make me buy it No Beautiful High end, premium design with no fancy UI.
MISTER-VIP is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Still hate this idea.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Casiotone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serelus View Post
That's what I was about to post, fake plastic rear shells are much easier to make than machined aluminum.
Casiotone is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:36 AM   #9
Baklava
macrumors 6502a

Woohoo, leaks, leaks, leaks!
MacRumors 'iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Models Popping Up in China [...]' - BornAgainMac 'This is what that Chinese chick was trying to say during the keynote. That it was going to be released early in China.'
Baklava is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:37 AM   #10
Ingot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorchang View Post
The beginning of the end.
Not necessary. I very much enjoy the feel and look of my 3GS still. It is a very beautiful phone to hold and use. Now if I could get that with iphone 5 guts, I would be very happy.

I currently have iphone 4S and also love it, but not as much as I enjoyed my 3GS.
Ingot is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:38 AM   #11
gibbz
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to gibbz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Still hate this idea.
Why? This isn't aimed at the typical iPhone user. This makes a lot of sense for countries where people can't afford the normal iPhone prices. This helps expand their user base, in my opinion. Perhaps I am wrong.
gibbz is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:38 AM   #12
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Fake.
Attached Images

justperry is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:38 AM   #13
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Literally anyone could of (sic) made that... literally anybody.
I beg to disagree, literally, I'm begging you. Actually I am terrible at making cases. So you are wrong, sir.
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbz View Post
Why? This isn't aimed at the typical iPhone user. This makes a lot of sense for countries where people can't afford the normal iPhone prices. This helps expand their user base, in my opinion. Perhaps I am wrong.
So get the iPhone 5. It's cheaper, sleeker, and has more tech cramped into it, ie. Retina display (probably won't be on this plastic version), thinner.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:40 AM   #15
quasinormal
Banned

One good thing about Samsung's marketing tactics is the possibility of cheaper iPhones. Shame about the shills and astroturfers though.
quasinormal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:42 AM   #16
monaarts
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Fake.
Actually just looks like some sort of protective sticker on the corners. They all look like they might have one.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:43 AM   #17
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Fake.
Looks like clear plastic wrapping still stuck on it to me.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:43 AM   #18
syd430

Quote:
(Le)terally?!?!?!
  2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:43 AM   #19
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Ugly. Someone must have put a gun to Jony's head and forced him to build it. Hopefully it's a prototype that was rejected.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:43 AM   #20
BrockC
macrumors regular

They're just trying to make Samsung users drool at the idea of a NEW plastic phone
BrockC is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:43 AM   #21
baryon
macrumors 68030

I love the way it looks, and at $300 I would totally get it unlocked with no contract.

Plastic has the advantage of being strong and transparent to radio waves, so the whole back and sides can be made of once piece, as opposed to the current design of the iPhone 5 (different pieces for edge (more than one piece), top, bottom and middle). While glass is transparent of course, it's very fragile and can't really be as nicely curved as this, so plastic still has some great uses here.

Even if this particular image is fake, I'd imagine the cheaper iPhone would look similar to this. If you're going to use plastic, might as well take advantage of it and make it seamless.

Last edited by baryon; Apr 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
baryon is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:44 AM   #22
carl0sian
macrumors regular

FUuGGLY! I still don't see it's place in the iPhone Ecosystem. By the time the iPhone 5s comes out, the iPhone 4's non contract price should drop considerably.
carl0sian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:45 AM   #23
samcraig
macrumors G5

Congratulations to those who think that plastic is crap. Apple has certainly done its job in marketing their devices well if you believe that. And believe that only metal and glass are viable materials (now).

unbelievable.
samcraig is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:46 AM   #24
stevensr123
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminemdrdre00 View Post
So is this going to be $300 and unlocked, like Google's Nexus phones? That would be awesome!
It will only be awesome if it has the latest features of iOS, a very good processor (as good as the 4s/5 and a decent camera) otherwise it's a complete rip off considering the nexus 4 has awesome hardware and build quality, plus the latest google os....for a cheaper price.
stevensr123 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:46 AM   #25
BMNB1tch
macrumors regular

sure is fugly

the last thing people want is cheap plastic

Hawaiian's will be fishing these out of the Pacific Gyre 10-15 yrs from now...
BMNB1tch is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion