Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, case manufacturer Tactus was one of several sources to share photos of cases reportedly designed for the fifth-generation iPad, once again showing that the device is expected to be smaller than the existing iPad and take design cues from the iPad mini.

Today, the company shares a photo of what is said to be the rear shell of Apple's rumored lower-cost iPhone. In line with previous rumors, the part appears to be manufactured from plastic.

iphone_low_cost_rear_shell.jpg
The part is also consistent with iLounge's January description of the device, carrying a design somewhat similar to the iPod classic with a flat back and curved edges, as well as a shift to elongated volume buttons along the left side.

The report also shares a number of other claimed details about the device, including word of an A5 chip, a 5-megapixel rear camera, and five color options of black, white, blue, red, and yellow. The device is also claimed to carry a 3.5-inch Retina display rather than the 4-inch display seen in the iPhone 5, although that detail conflicts with reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's claims of a 4-inch display for the lower-cost iPhone.

Finally, Tactus claims that the lower-cost iPhone will launch on October 15 and be priced at $300, although we place little faith in those details given that any source for part leaks likely coming through Apple's supply chain or accessory manufacturers would not be aware of Apple's specific launch plans. The report also claims that the rear shell is 0.4-0.6 mm thick, which is obviously not an accurate measurement and is likely a misreporting of previous claims that it would be 0.4-0.6 mm thicker than the iPhone 5.

We also can not verify whether this is indeed a legitimate rear shell for Apple's lower-cost iPhone. It could simply be manufactured based on circulating rumors, but even if fake it could be an accurate representation if it is based on design specs leaking through case makers. Case makers have a number of times created accurate physical mockups of Apple's upcoming devices, although they have on occasion been incorrect.

Article Link: Lower-Cost iPhone's Plastic Rear Shell Reportedly Surfaces

MISTER-VIP

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
UK
O Please what will make people Buy it if nowadays people start hating the UI,,No point of having cheaper iphone where nothing will make me buy it No Beautiful High end, premium design with no fancy UI.

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
The beginning of the end.

Not necessary. I very much enjoy the feel and look of my 3GS still. It is a very beautiful phone to hold and use. Now if I could get that with iphone 5 guts, I would be very happy.

I currently have iphone 4S and also love it, but not as much as I enjoyed my 3GS.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Still hate this idea.

Why? This isn't aimed at the typical iPhone user. This makes a lot of sense for countries where people can't afford the normal iPhone prices. This helps expand their user base, in my opinion. Perhaps I am wrong.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Why? This isn't aimed at the typical iPhone user. This makes a lot of sense for countries where people can't afford the normal iPhone prices. This helps expand their user base, in my opinion. Perhaps I am wrong.

So get the iPhone 5. It's cheaper, sleeker, and has more tech cramped into it, ie. Retina display (probably won't be on this plastic version), thinner.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ugly. Someone must have put a gun to Jony's head and forced him to build it. Hopefully it's a prototype that was rejected.

BrockC

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Il
They're just trying to make Samsung users drool at the idea of a NEW plastic phone ;)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I love the way it looks, and at $300 I would totally get it unlocked with no contract.

Plastic has the advantage of being strong and transparent to radio waves, so the whole back and sides can be made of once piece, as opposed to the current design of the iPhone 5 (different pieces for edge (more than one piece), top, bottom and middle). While glass is transparent of course, it's very fragile and can't really be as nicely curved as this, so plastic still has some great uses here.

Even if this particular image is fake, I'd imagine the cheaper iPhone would look similar to this. If you're going to use plastic, might as well take advantage of it and make it seamless.

Last edited:

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
FUuGGLY! I still don't see it's place in the iPhone Ecosystem. By the time the iPhone 5s comes out, the iPhone 4's non contract price should drop considerably.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Congratulations to those who think that plastic is crap. Apple has certainly done its job in marketing their devices well if you believe that. And believe that only metal and glass are viable materials (now).

unbelievable.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
So is this going to be $300 and unlocked, like Google's Nexus phones? That would be awesome!

It will only be awesome if it has the latest features of iOS, a very good processor (as good as the 4s/5 and a decent camera) otherwise it's a complete rip off considering the nexus 4 has awesome hardware and build quality, plus the latest google os....for a cheaper price.

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
sure is fugly

the last thing people want is cheap plastic :(

Hawaiian's will be fishing these out of the Pacific Gyre 10-15 yrs from now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.