Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I did not locate a dedicated Game of Thrones thread other than the 'Season 2' thread. So why not start one? :)

I think this show is one of the finest currently on cable tv. Multiple story lines in a variety of exotic locations, with action, debauchery, intrigue, fantasy, heartache, and wonderful characters.

My decision to watch this season before reading the book, I believe has paid off. What I'm not clear on does this season represent the entire 3rd book or will it split book 3 into two seasons?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have not watched any of season 3 (wait for the dvd/blu-ray's). However I agree, this is one of our favorite shows on television. So much so that both me and the wife want to read the books now.

Season two was outstanding IMHO.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I did not locate a dedicated Game of Thrones thread other than the 'Season 2' thread. So why not start one? :)

I think this show is one of the finest currently on cable tv. Multiple story lines in a variety of exotic locations, with action, debauchery, intrigue, fantasy, heartache, and wonderful characters.

My decision to watch this season before reading the book, I believe has paid off. What I'm not clear on does this season represent the entire 3rd book or will it split book 3 into two seasons?

It's going to be split, season 4 will finish book 3. I think it was necessary, there is a lot happening in A Storm of Swords. There will be more than enough to fill two full seasons.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's going to be split, season 4 will finish book 3. I think it was necessary, there is a lot happening in A Storm of Swords. There will be more than enough to fill two full seasons.

There was a lot happening in the second book: Storm of Swords that was cut out. What was seen in the show was barebones, imo. So it's probably a great idea to split the book into 2 seasons.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
i'll take the unpopular side here :p

do i think GoT is a good series? yes. do i think it's worth the hype around it? not really. i think that the reason it was (and is) so well received is because it's very different than what people use to see on television. sure, we have sic-fi, crime, drama and such, but we never had a series based on fantasy (book), with middle-ages-esque theme.

i like GoT. but given the choice whether to watch "the sopranos" or "the shield" instead, i would watch either one before GoT. sure, GoT is nice enough, but sometimes the dialogues are silly, or shallow, or just seem like they were made up on the spot.

as far as the book (so far just read the 1st one) goes, it's "ok". no more, no less. sometimes - dare i say - it's boring.

the whole thing where he uses "PoV" instead of normal chapters is just a gimmick, in my opinion, as the book is told in 3rd person anyway. also, it was done before (...it was cool :D ). further more, to my opinion, i think that the whole idea of killing characters left-and-right is intended so the book has no "normal" hero figure, and that the plot could be changed at any time, as if to accommodate to the public wants at any given time - meaning that the book series could (in theory) go on forever, with characters coming and going, and the story ending only when its revenue predictions are too low to be considered profitable.

Last edited:

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Might just be a genre preference? I find both the shows you mentioned, and cop/gang/whatever shows in general to be exceedingly boring.

I also think that it's worth mentioning that there is some very interesting dialog in GoT. Pretty much all of the Jamie - Lady Tarth stuff is good. Really though, if you go back to when Jamie is captured, he comments on being called Kingslayer and brings up the conflict between holding conflicting oaths.

I think that if you're finding the conversation dry, you may want to pay more attention. Most of it's subtle or abstract, and you have to make inferences into everyday life.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
yes, you are right. there are some great dialogues there. tyrion lanister has some great ones - both on TV and in the book. on the other hand, almost every scene that has one of the greyjoys in it, or relates to iron islands is... borderline insult to the reader / viewer (there are others, but that's just an example) and all you can think is "from what pre-school did those broke out from?".

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The show is full of memorable characters, but Tryion Lannister has to be one of the best in both the book and show. Casting in the show is superb. I basically like everyone. :)

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Based on the latest episode, I'm going to be disappointed if "Reek" doesn't come to pass... He was so deserving.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
How are they going to maintain momentum when they get to "A Feast for Crows" and "A Dance with Dragons?" I understand many fans were disappointed by Martin's story padding and foot dragging (after five books and thousands of pages, Winter STILL hasn't arrived?!).

----------

I have not watched any of season 3 (wait for the dvd/blu-ray's). However I agree, this is one of our favorite shows on television. So much so that both me and the wife want to read the books now.

Season two was outstanding IMHO.

If you haven't bought the paperback, I highly recommend the audiobook version of "A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire, Book I" read by Roy Dotrice.

Reactions: xoAnna

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The wife and I watch the show and really like it. She has read the books I have not. So, she fills me in on any differences. It definitely can be hard to keep up with the multiple story lines when coming back from the break between seasons.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
The wife and I watch the show and really like it. She has read the books I have not. So, she fills me in on any differences. It definitely can be hard to keep up with the multiple story lines when coming back from the break between seasons.

You should try reading the books. Talk about hard to follow!

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Hey How close are the books to the tv show? I'm a big fan of the tv version.

I think Season 1 was one of the best film/TV adaptations of a book that I've seen. It really does go step for step with book 1 without any major changes. Not 100% of the content is in there (I never understand people who use this as a main gripe for film/TV adaptations of a book - it's unrealistic), but nothing important is missed.

Season 2 got a little wonky and had a bunch of tweaks from the book that I personally found a bit unsettling or annoying.

It's been so long since I've read the 3rd book (I guess that means I should re-read them :p), but I haven't noticed any major/weird tweaks with Season 3 yet.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I think Season 1 was one of the best film/TV adaptations of a book that I've seen. It really does go step for step with book 1 without any major changes. Not 100% of the content is in there (I never understand people who use this as a main gripe for film/TV adaptations of a book - it's unrealistic), but nothing important is missed.

Season 2 got a little wonky and had a bunch of tweaks from the book that I personally found a bit unsettling or annoying.

It's been so long since I've read the 3rd book (I guess that means I should re-read them :p), but I haven't noticed any major/weird tweaks with Season 3 yet.

Theon getting away is a huge deviation. If that's truly what's going on.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
My friend who listened to the audio books also confirmed this

Yeah the thing is, is that it could just be skipping out on Reek, though maybe not changing his arc in the story, or it could be that the guy who saved him is playing with him, after all, they did say "you bastard" when he killed them, or it could be a huge plot deviation.

THe first two I'm cool with. I'm concerned about the prospect of the last. But that doesn't matter much. I consider the books and TV show independently.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I agree. Season 1 was riveting. Season 2 (I've read the book) was a highly abbreviated version of the book and not as satisfying. Of note I saw Season 1 before reading it. Read the second book before seeing Season 2. For me it's best to see the show first, then read the book.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Theon getting away is a huge deviation. If that's truly what's going on.

From a foggy book memory, I do believe his captor or one of his lackeys (blanking on name) at least allude to other prisoners being caught in a fake escape ruse and get recaptured/tortured even worse as punishment.

So that was a bit of a stretch, but one to give Theon (the TV character) some more action in the show, so I let it slide.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I saw season one and by the end of it all I really want is Joffrey extremely dead and mostly just curious where the dragon ladies story will go. Aside from that I find this show dark, cold, cruel, and depressing.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spoilers

Yesterday's episode, (4/21/13) very interesting developments! From the Night's Watch foray into the North descending into anarchy to Daenerys Targaryen ultimate dealing with the slave trader. Now I have to wonder how long will it take her to transport her army to the West? :)

I saw season one and by the end of it all I really want is Joffrey extremely dead and mostly just curious where the dragon ladies story will go. Aside from that I find this show dark, cold, cruel, and depressing.

Winter is coming... :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.