Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTay

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Hey Everyone. I have been lurking for a while on this site and finally decided to throw my hat into the ring. I am not new to forums but...new to this one.

My question is...What is your routein?

Let me start off by saying I use Itunes to stream my content from a PC to my AppleTV 3. To get everything to the correct format, I start with XMedia Recode for any remuxing/demuxing or converting. I found that it is pretty simple once you get the hang of it and serves my needs. I then move directly into MetaX to tag the file and make it look like it should. Last, I move to itunes and I'm done. My process seems pretty simple to me but I would like a little confirmation that I am not missing something. Is there something better? I hear a lot about handbreak but I couldn't find a windows version so I looked further and found XMedia. I would probably have used Handbreak and MP4Tools if I were to store my media on my Mac but since it is a MacBook Pro...I found it easier to simply run everything on my PC.

To give credit to where it is due....I only found my current process by the info provided here on this site. Props to you all and thanks for the help so far.

Look forward to the feedback. :apple:

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I'm a Windows user and after faffing around with all the windows solutions for remuxing and tagging I found it much easier to just install OSX in VMware and use iFlicks. While I honestly hate Mac's, iFlicks is the one and only time I would use OSX and the creation of a virtual OSX machine is well worth it for this software alone.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'm fully Mac now, but when I was on Windows I used Slysoft AnyDVD to decode, which at the time was the best I'd found and worked really well. I also did use Handbrake, you might not have found the Win version if you were misspelling it in google maybe (should be handBRAKE, not handBREAK).

I always did my metadata by hand in Windows, on the Mac now I use IDentify. Haven't looked at iFlicks but it appears that as far as data goes anyway they are similar. I haven't researched similar tools for Windows so can't help there.

CTay

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
I'm a Windows user and after faffing around with all the windows solutions for remuxing and tagging I found it much easier to just install OSX in VMware and use iFlicks. While I honestly hate Mac's, iFlicks is the one and only time I would use OSX and the creation of a virtual OSX machine is well worth it for this software alone.

Haven't thought of that route. I can try Iflicks on my MBP first to get the feel I suppose.

----------

I'm fully Mac now, but when I was on Windows I used Slysoft AnyDVD to decode, which at the time was the best I'd found and worked really well. I also did use Handbrake, you might not have found the Win version if you were misspelling it in google maybe (should be handBRAKE, not handBREAK).

I always did my metadata by hand in Windows, on the Mac now I use IDentify. Haven't looked at iFlicks but it appears that as far as data goes anyway they are similar. I haven't researched similar tools for Windows so can't help there.

Thats funny. I must have been spelling it wrong.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Hey Everyone. I have been lurking for a while on this site and finally decided to throw my hat into the ring. I am not new to forums but...new to this one.

My question is...What is your routein?

Let me start off by saying I use Itunes to stream my content from a PC to my AppleTV 3. To get everything to the correct format,

I used to do all that but it was a major pain - especially for something I was only going to watch once. A couple of years ago I installed aTV Flash on my Apple TVs (http://firecore.com/atvflash-black) and no more converting anymore! It's so much easier.

David

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Mkvtools for changing audio

Then iFlicks for metadata & transfer to iTunes

If I have an avi file I also use iflicks for converting

CTay

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks guys, for the input.

Any suggestions for a windows program? Can't seem to find a one-stop shop like I can for OSX that covers remux and tagging. Have I stream lined it as much as possible with my current process? :confused:

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Thanks guys, for the input.

Any suggestions for a windows program? Can't seem to find a one-stop shop like I can for OSX that covers remux and tagging. Have I stream lined it as much as possible with my current process? :confused:

There is only one I've found for Windows, but I don't like it, hence I use iFlicks in an OSX VMware.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MkvToMp4

This remux's mkv's to mp4/m4v and tags them, however the interface is far to complicated for what it does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.