Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ZDNet.com.au reports on iTunes vice-president Eddy Cue's speech at the iTunes Austrlia launch.

According to Cue, the Australian iTunes launch was one of the biggest international launches, and focuses heavily <on local and independent labels.

According to Cue, it was important that the Australian iTunes music store was built for and by Australians because the domestic music industry is so strong.

Cue acknowledged that Sony BMG was not a part of the iTunes Australia launch, as previous rumored. Also reported is that Apple has sold over 600 million songs worldwide.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
watch the prize will be something stupid like a nano or a $15 gift certificate, but dam that's alot of songs

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
São Paulo - Brasil
Very cool...

I wonder if maybe, just maybe, someday we will see a ITMS Brazil...

Well, maybe it's beter not have one... they could open it at Buenos Aires and sell only samba and this kind of garbage...:D

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I hope that the 1 billion song prize will be a PowerMac Quad + 30" ACD + 60GB iPod + Unlimited Free iTunes. I am not going to buy any more iTunes until the 1 billion point rolls around. Just keep adding to the cart, then I will download them all at once. Might give me better odds, but chances are still very slim.

Hickman

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Burgers vs. iTunes Songs, which do you think sells more per second?

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I thought he said nearly 600 million songs at the launch, not over 600 million...

But it's good news anyway. I wonder how many days it'll take us Australians to rack up a million downloads. I haven't seen any advertisements for the store, although the Eminem iTunes ad seems to be on ever ad break now (but that doesn't point you to the store really...)

And I tried to buy a pre-paid card at a Target today, when they said that they'd be launching in 2500 locations at the same time today, but nothing was there :(

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I remember when they were wonering when they'd hit a million :eek:

Wasn't Apple's stated goal at first 1 million songs in half a year?

VIIGemina

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2003
Macrumors said:
Also reported is that Apple has sold over 600 million songs worldwide.

Eddy Cue is just restating what has already been said. Jobs at the iPod nano event Sept 7th said they had 10 million iTMS accounts that on average had downloaded 60 songs. That was your 600 million songs announcement.

The trend shows Apple should hit 700 million this week and 1 billion songs in early Feb 2006.

They may not announce another milestone till 3/4 billion.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Aww, poor widdle Sony BMG having a tantrum are we?

Fact is, people looking to buy music by browsing via iTunes are just not going to see your entire catalogue of music in Australia. They aren't thinking 'Oh, I really want that Sony BMG artist's song'. They'll find something else and buy it, or maybe they won't buy anything, but that's an impulse sale gone.

Of course, maybe Sony will simply sell via its own Australian web store. I'm sure they sell their music in AAC or MP3 format ... oh, no, probably ATRAC3 or WMA - so yet again they'll be losing out on the iPod market.

Of course we all know that Sony wants in on the iPod gravy train, but what have they done to deserve that? They get a boat-load of money per track sold online vs. retail anyway - that's their reward. Greedy.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Hattig said:
Aww, poor widdle Sony BMG having a tantrum are we? ... Greedy.
I like Sony. They make some great products.

Having said that, I think that they are terrible for the market with their proprietary items such as Memory Sticks, ATAC (Mini Disc), etc.

It is about time that Sony wake up and discover that it is much better to support industry standards than create their own proprietary type. You would think that the would learn after the Betamax lesson. VHS was so much cheaper and easer to license so the market shifted quickly to that camp. Same holds true today.

...another company that was the same comes to mind. Apple. Thank God SJ was fired, went away and learned some things and came back with a vengence! The new Apple is so much better than the Apple of the 90s. Even Apple Japan has come around quite a bit compared to what it was before. They still have a ways to go, but have made significant progress.

Sushi

illw!l

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
VIIGemina said:
Eddy Cue is just restating what has already been said. Jobs at the iPod nano event Sept 7th said they had 10 million iTMS accounts that on average had downloaded 60 songs. That was your 600 million songs announcement.

The trend shows Apple should hit 700 million this week and 1 billion songs in early Feb 2006.

They may not announce another milestone till 3/4 billion.

Thanks for posting this info; it kept me from going back see just where the "600 million" was announced.

Unlike birthdays, you want to keep celebrating new itunes milestones, not celebrate a previous milestone.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
nagromme said:
I remember when they were wonering when they'd hit a million :eek:

Wasn't Apple's stated goal at first 1 million songs in half a year?

If it was, they certainly eclipsed that goal quickly.

Hopefully it wont take that long for the iTMS AUS to sell that many songs... :p

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
sushi said:
I like Sony. They make some great products.

Having said that, I think that they are terrible for the market with their proprietary items such as Memory Sticks, ATAC (Mini Disc), etc.

It is about time that Sony wake up and discover that it is much better to support industry standards than create their own proprietary type. You would think that the would learn after the Betamax lesson. VHS was so much cheaper and easer to license so the market shifted quickly to that camp. Same holds true today.

...another company that was the same comes to mind. Apple. Thank God SJ was fired, went away and learned some things and came back with a vengence! The new Apple is so much better than the Apple of the 90s. Even Apple Japan has come around quite a bit compared to what it was before. They still have a ways to go, but have made significant progress.

Sushi

I hate sony, the used to make good products, now all their products seam to suck. They used to make great dj headphones now they suck, their car audio is complete and utter crap, and their general consumer goods like dvd players seem to be going down the drain.

All their proprietory formats suck, they are saying how great blu-ray is when the consumer is going to get completly screwed over with all the copy protection DRM type crap they are stacking on.

Sure some of the things they have come up with have been great but overall i think the negatives outweigh the positives!

Renegate

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
Luxembourg
NicP said:
I hate sony, the used to make good products, now all their products seam to suck. They used to make great dj headphones now they suck, their car audio is complete and utter crap, and their general consumer goods like dvd players seem to be going down the drain.

All their proprietory formats suck, they are saying how great blu-ray is when the consumer is going to get completly screwed over with all the copy protection DRM type crap they are stacking on.

Sure some of the things they have come up with have been great but overall i think the negatives outweigh the positives!
Agree, in the old times Sony was a reference for a lot of things and i bought Sony products without even checking test reports; i do now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.