Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:25 PM   #1
0bone
macrumors newbie

Can I Repair This?

A few weeks ago, my Macbook Air's screen turned into a flickering mess of vertical lines, whited-out areas and fragmented pieces of the icons on my desktop. I brought it to my local Apple-licensed repair guy, who initially told me he would replace the video card. Unfortunately, my computer was briefly partially submerged in bathwater about a year ago and, according to him, there is visible water damage inside the computer, which voids my AppleCare and turns this into a 1000-dollar repair, including a replaced logic board.

Presently, my computer works just fine outside of the screen. I'm using it in clamshell mode as a desktop and I have no problems. Could the logic board really be damaged in a very specific way that affects the screen but not the displayport (and nothing else about the computer)? And more importantly, is there any way I can fix this myself for significantly less than 1000 bucks, or should I just use my computer as a desktop from now on?
0bone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:04 PM   #2
aarond12
macrumors 6502a

Since there is no video "card" per se, a logic board replacement is the only way to fix the issue IF this is not something with the display. The fact that you CAN use your Air as a desktop, with fully-functioning external display, means that it's likely something with the LCD or its rather fragile connector on the logic board.

There's no easy way of determining which is the problem. You could order a complete display (LCD, wires, and connectors) and try hooking that up to the logic board. If it IS something with the logic board, however, the new LCD won't fix anything.

"Broken" Macs sell for pretty decent prices on eBay, especially if yours is fully functional except for the display. I would personally sell your laptop on eBay, take the loss, and use that money to buy a new one.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:14 PM   #3
0bone
macrumors newbie

How much would you charge for a 2-year-old Air in this condition?
0bone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 06:10 PM   #4
0bone
macrumors newbie

Bumping because I honestly have no idea what to charge. There are broken Macbooks on eBay but I can't compare my Macbook Air with a broken screen to a differently broken MacBook Air (plus I don't need to know how much people are charging, I need to know how much I can SELL it for, successfully).
Old May 11, 2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bone View Post
Bumping because I honestly have no idea what to charge. There are broken Macbooks on eBay but I can't compare my Macbook Air with a broken screen to a differently broken MacBook Air (plus I don't need to know how much people are charging, I need to know how much I can SELL it for, successfully).
What I would do it put it up for auction on eBay with a low minimum (like $200 or so) and see what you get. If it is worth $500, the bids will be driven up to near $500 for example.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 09:59 AM   #6
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Is this a 2010 MBA with the NVidia 320m GPU? Just curious, I have heard of similar problems with the graphics with these processors, but Apple has never officially recognized this as a problem. Although, it doesn't matter if you had it submerged...

re: the eBay root...if you want to sell it, but aren't sure what it is worth, "let the market decide." As Weaselboy points out, start with a low minimum.

My advice: describe it as accurately as possible, and start it at $0.99...you will attract a bunch of people who will think they will get a bargain, and then as the price climbs, they won't want to give up on it.
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 06:03 PM   #7
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesscheese View Post
My advice: describe it as accurately as possible, and start it at $0.99...you will attract a bunch of people who will think they will get a bargain, and then as the price climbs, they won't want to give up on it.
Just saying: The people who see it at $0.99 and offer that or other ridiculously low prices are just trying it on; they are not going to be the ones that eventually end up buying.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 07:30 PM   #8
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Just saying: The people who see it at $0.99 and offer that or other ridiculously low prices are just trying it on; they are not going to be the ones that eventually end up buying.
Yeah, but they drive the price up anyway...the first bidders usually don't wind up winning anyway.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:57 PM   #9
0bone
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I have fallen for this little psychological trick before so I can attest that it works (at least on us easily manipulated types).
Old May 12, 2013, 02:03 AM   #10
Verix
macrumors regular

Quote:
Is this a 2010 MBA with the NVidia 320m GPU? Just curious, I have heard of similar problems with the graphics with these processors, but Apple has never officially recognized this as a problem.
320M had problems? I have two computers with this chip and purchased applecare for both. Never had even a single problem
Verix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 02:09 AM   #11
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Op I would replace the video/LCD cable and see if that solves the issue. It's a wee bit of a bugger to do but 9/10 it solves the issue. If however it dosnt then it's the LCD from the info you've given.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 08:51 AM   #12
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bone View Post
I have fallen for this little psychological trick before so I can attest that it works (at least on us easily manipulated types).
It's just human/nature, or "auction psychology." You just get sucked in, and you don't want to lose...ever notice how eBay is always playing up the "You WIN!" aspect?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air