Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fsmorelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Guys, I need your help, please.
I'm from Brazil and bought a 120GB OWC Mercury EXTREME ™ Pro 6G SSD 2.5" to use as my primary disk. But I was taxed at customhouse when it arrived here, with a final value almost double the original.
So I was thinking of selling for the same price I paid and buy a 120 Gb SATA 3 Samsung 840 Series (not PRO version) here in Brazil it. Doing this I could save around $ 100. Worth it?
What are your opinions? I do not understand much about SSD's specifications.

The links on the two follow:
OWC: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDMX6G120T/
Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7TD120BW

The problem is not actually the money, I'd like to know what is the best as I bought already one and a have to change it and save some money. I have a Macbook Pro Early 2011.
Many thanks!
cheers!!!!

fsmorelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Thanks for your answer, Orlandoech.com.
Could you explain more about this? why SandForce Controller is bad?
I'll appreciate your attencion.

Sandforce has a long documented history of a ton of problems with the Macs. There was constantly problems, whether it be freezing, whatever.

They also have pretty slow write speeds when using Sandforce. Samsung 840 over Sandforce all day long.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Not only Macs, but pretty much any "pro" application. If you use the built in OSX disk encryption, it pretty much defeats the magic sauce used by sandforce to gain write speeds and stability.

fsmorelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Not only Macs, but pretty much any "pro" application. If you use the built in OSX disk encryption, it pretty much defeats the magic sauce used by sandforce to gain write speeds and stability.

So.. FileVault does not affect the Samsung Controller's performance.. right?

AppleMac1987

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Europe/Netherlands
You compare the OWC Extreme Pro with the SAMSUNG 840 BASIC.
That is not a fair comparison for the price.
The same quality range from OWC is the Electra 6G serie, is cheaper than the
Extreme Pro.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Here are speed tests of a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in a 2012 15" cMBP for you to ponder. Drive is located in main HDD bay. TRIM is enabled via Trim Enabler 2.2 as well.

Attachments

• MBP SSD AJA 840P.png
    MBP SSD AJA 840P.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 331
  • MBP SSD BM 840P.png
    MBP SSD BM 840P.png
    904.5 KB · Views: 372
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.