Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NetCritic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
Hey guys.

I have a 4s that I replaced a cracked screen on.

I don't know why but the screen now looks a little different. The lighting, or maybe the pixelation is off.

Is there a difference between the Stock screen and one you could buy off amazon or from ifixit, or iCracked and so on?

Anybody noticing the differences?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i only get my replacement screens from icracked. the ones i have installed on both a 4 and 4S looked exactly like OEM. ive never used one from ifixit however. but i will definitely get screens from icracked again if needed. they appear to be high quality. i would not buy cheap ($20 or so) replacements from amazon or ebay.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
i would not buy cheap ($20 or so) replacements from amazon or ebay.

I could not agree more. The cheap displays use super low quality glass digitizers, and after-market displays which compromise the viewing experience when compared to an original LCD Retina display.

More than likely the screen you used for the replacement had an after-market display. The after-market displays can seem dim, pixelated, and not as vivid as the original display.

iFixit.com's displays are very over-priced. They have the original LCD, and a high copy digitizer, but cost about $100 with shipping. The reason their prices are so much higher than other companies is because they have a ton of overhead to make up for. Very good quality parts, however, they are grossly overpriced. I recommend iFixit.com for their tear-down videos and super high-res pictures for repairs.

Amazon and eBay are a mess. It is very hard to know who is selling what. Generally, you want to stay away from the cheap replacement parts as they are super low quality.

The saying "You get what you pay for" can be applied to most instances when shopping for replacement parts.

Last edited:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i agree that ifixit is a little overpriced, when you can get a 4/4S screen for $60-75. much better value. and im speaking from experience that their screens are perfect.

NetCritic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
I replaced an iPod Touch 4g screen with one from Amazon, and the color is fine, and it works fine.

The iPhone screen I bought off ebay. It's not that great.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I replaced an iPod Touch 4g screen with one from Amazon, and the color is fine, and it works fine.

like i said, icracked is my goto for screens. with ebay and amazon, you will be getting cheap knockoff items, likely shipped from overseas. i would rather pay a little more, knowing my screen will be shipped from the US, by a US company with US based support should something go wrong. i dont buy knockoff or generic parts for my car, and i dont buy generic cheapo parts for electronic devices.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
There's a big difference. Stay away from the cheap $20 dollars ones sold on eBay. You get what you pay for.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California

With eBay and Amazon it is hit or miss. Sometimes you might get a good quality product, most other times it will be of a lower quality.

Dictoresno is 100% correct about highlighting the hassles of doing business with overseas companies. If you have an issue and you need to return/ exchange an item, it makes it incredibly difficult to do anything with an overseas supplier. Not to mention super expensive.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
like i said, icracked is my goto for screens. with ebay and amazon, you will be getting cheap knockoff items, likely shipped from overseas. i would rather pay a little more, knowing my screen will be shipped from the US, by a US company with US based support should something go wrong. i dont buy knockoff or generic parts for my car, and i dont buy generic cheapo parts for electronic devices.

How much is iCracked? I can't get a price without setting up an appointment. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.