iPhone owners: Would you switch to a low cost iPhone? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Would you switch to the low cost iphone?
Yes 25 21.93%
No 89 78.07%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:08 PM   #1
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

iPhone owners: Would you switch to a low cost iPhone?

If the speculated budget iphone came to fruition, would you buy it instead of the high end iphone 5/s when replacing your current iphone?

Me - definitely not
tmanto02 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:15 PM   #2
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

I don't really understand. A low cost phone isn't really for existing iPhone users (or for the US for that matter). It's possible they won't even sell it in the US if/when it comes out. Perhaps they will, but even so, existing iPhone users aren't really the market.
bozzykid is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:22 PM   #3
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanto02 View Post
If the speculated budget iphone came to fruition, would you buy it instead of the high end iphone 5/s when replacing your current iphone?

Me - definitely not
I have a 4S, and when my contract runs out, I will be getting whatever is the low-cost model at the time, simply because my needs don't warrant a high-end phone.

I listen to music, check OmniFocus regularly, read email frequently, and keep my diary in Day One updated - these are my most common and frequent tasks. Just for that is already more than suitable for the 4S.

Of course, YMMV.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:38 PM   #4
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
I don't really understand. A low cost phone isn't really for existing iPhone users (or for the US for that matter). It's possible they won't even sell it in the US if/when it comes out. Perhaps they will, but even so, existing iPhone users aren't really the market.
Pretty much this.

Not to mention, we have no idea what sacrifices have to be made in order to get said budget phone largely because we don't even know that is or isn't a real thing.

In my opinion this is a worthless poll until we know more (than the nothing we do know) about a phone that is less than vapor ware at this point.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

If by cheaper it means a cheap plastic casing a-la Samsung then no way.

Don't worry, Apple is not going to ruin its premium brand image.

I predict if Apple ever makes a cheaper phone it won't be called an iPhone, it will be called a MacPhone or something.
Mrbobb is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Alisstar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
I have a 4S, and when my contract runs out, I will be getting whatever is the low-cost model at the time, simply because my needs don't warrant a high-end phone.

I listen to music, check OmniFocus regularly, read email frequently, and keep my diary in Day One updated - these are my most common and frequent tasks. Just for that is already more than suitable for the 4S.

Of course, YMMV.
I think the low-cost iPhone will pretty much be a 4S with a 4" screen and Lightning connector. Outside of the new design and the latter two features I mentioned, everything else will be the same as the 4S; 8mp camera, A5 processor, 512MB ram, etc.

Wait a minute, did I just become an Apple analyst?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post

I predict if Apple ever makes a cheaper phone it won't be called an iPhone, it will be called a MacPhone or something.
You'd be making a compelling argument if Apple had never made phones out of cheap plastic casings. But they have, so your point is moot.
Alisstar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:41 PM   #7
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisstar View Post
I think the low-cost iPhone will pretty much be a 4S with a 4" screen and Lightning connector. Outside of the new design and the latter two features I mentioned, everything else will be the same as the 4S; 8mp camera, A5 processor, 512MB ram, etc.

Wait a minute, did I just become an Apple analyst?
I would actually love a 4s (this includes the back glass though) with a larger screen. I would literally prefer that over my iPhone 5.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:47 PM   #8
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Even I think they won't call it iPhone and they should not,kind of like Samsung seperates it's Galaxy S and Note series from other cheaper models like grand etc.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:09 PM   #9
Alisstar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
I would actually love a 4s (this includes the back glass though) with a larger screen. I would literally prefer that over my iPhone 5.
I meant that I think it'll be a 4S in parts mostly. Similar to how the iPad mini is pretty much an iPad 2 internally but in a different casing. I imagine Apple might want to retain some consistency with having all 4" screen size devices with Lightning connectors, so the 4S design will be scrapped altogether. So basically an all-new design iPhone, but made with cheaper materials intended for the budget-minded folks who don't need the latest and greatest.
Alisstar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:41 PM   #10
srsub3
macrumors 6502

if it has what I need why not? cheap doesn't mean crappy... you are to much influenced by marketing IMHO....
srsub3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:04 AM   #11
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

i don't want a budget phone, but i would entertain a budget plan.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:26 AM   #12
Max(IT)
macrumors 68040

Replacing my iPhone 5 with a low-cost plastic lower specs iPhone ? No way ...
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb
Max(IT) is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:31 AM   #13
buysp
macrumors 6502

Yes and NO
Depends on the specifications i guess. I only really use my phone (iP5) for texts, calls and Music and i'm sure the low cost version would cover my requirements.
buysp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:05 AM   #14
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisstar View Post
You'd be making a compelling argument if Apple had never made phones out of cheap plastic casings. But they have, so your point is moot.
If ur referring to the 3G, boy they did manage to made that plastic look good. But after the last 3 versions, going back to that would be a letdown. But I won't bet any $$, after all Cook is a an operation guy, am going to guess he won't go to the end of the world to make a phone "just right" a-la Jobs. He will leave the back side of the fence unpainted.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:24 AM   #15
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
If ur referring to the 3G, boy they did manage to made that plastic look good. But after the last 3 versions, going back to that would be a letdown. But I won't bet any $$, after all Cook is a an operation guy, am going to guess he won't go to the end of the world to make a phone "just right" a-la Jobs. He will leave the back side of the fence unpainted.
What's that's supposed to mean? Apple haven't released any sort of phone yet so reserve your judgment after you have seen it, many people said that the iPhone 4 & 5 looked ugly before it was released and they were wrong.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:25 AM   #16
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

I will never change my iphone 5 for a plastic one, if I want plastic phone I will buy Samsung Galaxy S4
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:28 AM   #17
Akack
macrumors 6502a

No retina display on the low cost iPhone = no way, kinda like the 1st gen ipad mini. The retina display has spoiled me
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:34 AM   #18
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

Yeah the retina is "addicting"
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:52 AM   #19
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Existing iPhone users may not be the target market but of course their will be some current iPhone users who's needs will overlap. Many of us use the iPhone just for calls, texts, emails and web browsing.
tmanto02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:05 AM   #20
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

No but will buy and use it with my work sim card.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:14 AM   #21
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Asia is a current market for the low-cost iPhone and Europe will be a big market for the low-cost iPhone.

Asia is getting (economically) healthier and healthier, and what Apple needs to do right now is grabbing some market share. Than, in a few years, more and more Asians can afford the "premium" iPhone (currently iPhone 5).

In Europe, it seems like it is going the other way around: currently, there are still enough people who can buy the 'premium' iPhone (iPhone 5), but right now you're already seeing more and more folks heading to an iPhone 4S or iPhone 4.
If things continue as they do in Europe, than in a few years few people can afford the premium iPhone (currently iPhone 5).

In short: Asia, right now, is a great market for the low-cost iPhone. In the future, when economically the Asian market grows, the premium iPhone will get the upperhand.

Europe, right now, is a good to decent market for the premium iPhone. In the future, if Europe continues on this path and economically it goes downhill, the low-cost iPhone will get the upper-hand.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:43 AM   #22
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
This, I can't but think the low cost iPhone, if it will exist, will only be sold in developing counties. I doubt the US will ever see it.
madsci954 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:19 AM   #23
nixiemaiden
macrumors 6502a

If you are sticking with a big carrier it doesn't really make sense to. You will save maybe $200 over the course of a 2 year contract since the budget iPhone would probably require the same data plans as the regular iPhone.

Probably if I was in the middle of a contract and broke my phone and had to pay full price for a replacement, I would consider replacing it with a "budget" model until I was eligible for an upgrade.

If I was going with a company like Straight Talk or another of the cheaper pre-paid options and in the market for a new phone, I would also consider a budget iPhone.
nixiemaiden is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:27 AM   #24
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
I don't really understand. A low cost phone isn't really for existing iPhone users.
Sure it is. Not for all but not everyone needs or wants the latest and greatest (and the associated price tag). Plenty are using older models so there is a market for a lower cost iPhone whether you and others can understand or not.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:48 AM   #25
iGauge
macrumors newbie

If it is as nice as some of the prototypes that I've seen and is priced wisely I'd consider it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone