Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:34 AM   #1
Fouracre44
macrumors regular

iphone 5 in a case vs a different option.

Guys Hello,

I have recently been looking for a new phone. I own a custom assembled windows 8 pc that I use and I also own an Apple Macbook Pro. I am quite a tech savvy user however I do prefer a more refined, simple & basic use when it comes to my phones.

To me my smart phone is a tool, to make calls, send texts, check emails & then I do also things like Banking, Sports Scores & a few games. I use it for music, gps etc... swell. and I like a basic, reliable and solid use.

I am an electrician apprentice, so I have no time for phones that are going to break, or huge phones that are going to get in the way on the job. I have loved my iphone 4s in the past. Now I'm looking at a couple of options based on my use.

- Going back to a more basic smart phone, a lower end phone possibly android, possibly a basic smart phone with a keypad

- Going to a Samsung Galaxy s4 ( I feel this device is somewhat not needed )

- Going to an iPhone 5

I've read things about the iphone 5 scratching, denting etc.. and the defender case scratching the phone and everything. Really, I love the OS, stability of iphones, but I'm not interested in a phone for it;s looks, and it's beautiful craftsmanship.

Can you guy help me out here? What should I do? I really want to get the iphone 5 and rock it in a Defender case, that way I can enjoy the phone in my job and in my home life, sync all my apps & music directly from itunes & enjoy the os etc.. but then I really will do without it if it's gonna cause me issues like scratching, cracky, denting etc.. on the job or when I'm out at the pub, or even just from drops etc.. which I don't expect.
Fouracre44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:12 AM   #2
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Well based on what you wrote I would suggest getting an iphone 5 and a case.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:47 AM   #3
lbros360
macrumors member

I have had my black iphone 5 since December with a otterbox defender and I don't have one scratch on the phone. My brother had his iphone in a defender since launch without a scratch.
lbros360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Bugeyeblue
macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 with an otterbox armor case. I use mine daily and love it. It's a huge case but its protected from just about anything.
Bugeyeblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:06 AM   #5
lyngo
macrumors regular

I have had mine for about a few months now and I haven't put it in a case. No scratches.
lyngo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:08 AM   #6
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouracre44 View Post
To me my smart phone is a tool, and I like a basic, reliable and solid use.

I'm not interested in a phone for it;s looks, and it's beautiful craftsmanship.
Based on these statements in your original post I'd go with an iPhone 5 in an Otterbox defender, and if it happens to get scratched, oh well. It's a tool.
tardman91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Bacong
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Bacong Send a message via MSN to Bacong
your post is odd. Any smart phone you get will be susceptible to damage. iPhone 5 is light and slim, making less of an impact on the ground when/if it drops than a heavier phone.

You're not going to find a smartphone that is indestructible. So, get the phone you want (which seems like iPhone 5) and get a protective case. If you're proficient with your hands, you probably won't drop it much. I'd get a protective case like an otterbox, but the defender adds to much bulk to it. I'd go commuter or a different brand altogether.

I have a speck candyshell for my iPhone 5 and I love it. Fits the phone snugly, the buttons respond well, and it's reasonably protected from drops while still being slim.

If you drop your phones a lot, then get a Defender I guess.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:54 PM   #8
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

You currently have an iPhone 4s...

And your options are get a low end Android, a high end Android, or an iPhone 5. I guess I don;t understand why keeping the 4S isn't an option.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:03 PM   #9
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
You currently have an iPhone 4s...

And your options are get a low end Android, a high end Android, or an iPhone 5. I guess I don;t understand why keeping the 4S isn't an option.
This. Keep the 4s. Nothing wrong with it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone