Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:39 AM   #1
Rossatron
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: in a ziplock bag inside a car's trunk
cee lo green - fu - sign language

came across this clip, and it's pretty amazing. i didn't see any OT sub-forum so if im in the wrong place - mods, please transfer this thread

{{{warning explicit language}}}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv3tadz5Q3o
Rossatron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:32 PM   #2
droidbook
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
thats awesome, she needs an A+
__________________
Apple MacBook Pro 13.3-Inch Laptop (late 2012) 2.5 GHz i5, 16GB RAM
White Macbook | Android Samsung S4 | Android Skyrocket
www.lamontphotography.com
droidbook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:14 AM   #3
KaraH
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: DC
I had the opposite reaction and would have given her an F.

Even if she is not singing the words (how to tell with the sound quality) one thing is pretty clear. She is making fun of how Deaf people sound as she did not NEED to be mouthing the words.

If she had just danced and signed it would be one thing. She did not though. Look at the vid and you will see that her mouth is moving.

I will give her the benefit of the doubt that maybe that was not her intention. It does not excuse the result though and someone in a sign language class should know better. Hopefully the teacher had the same reaction.
__________________
through the years: Apple ][ eventually upgraded to a //e (and it never really died), Centris 660AV, PowerMac 7600, Macbook, iPod 5G, eMac, a couple of aluminium iMacs, STILL hoping for a 2013 MP
KaraH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:58 AM   #4
eawmp1
macrumors 601
 
eawmp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraH View Post
Even if she is not singing the words (how to tell with the sound quality) one thing is pretty clear. She is making fun of how Deaf people sound as she did not NEED to be mouthing the words.
You must not know any deaf people (although in D.C. you are near Gallaudet).
Some deaf people use both ASL and lip reading for comprehension of communication. In addition facial expression is useful to relay emotion. For that reason many interpreters sign and lip sync.

Her audience also was comprised, I supposed, of hearing people. Her lip synching the words helps them match the signs with the words.

If she was vocalizing like a hearing-impaired person (think Marlee Matlin in "Children of a Lesser God") you would have a point.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Rossatron
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: in a ziplock bag inside a car's trunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraH View Post
I had the opposite reaction and would have given her an F.

Even if she is not singing the words (how to tell with the sound quality) one thing is pretty clear. She is making fun of how Deaf people sound as she did not NEED to be mouthing the words.
a lot of deaf people use lip reading as well, as not everybody knows SL - so it's a useful tool for them. i know couple of deaf people and they prefer lip reading to SL as far as communicating with "normal" people goes.
Rossatron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:39 AM   #6
jknight8907
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
It's very common for interpreters to mouth words as they are signing. Not mocking or rude at all.
jknight8907 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:18 PM   #7
KaraH
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
You must not know any deaf people (although in D.C. you are near Gallaudet).
Some deaf people use both ASL and lip reading for comprehension of communication. In addition facial expression is useful to relay emotion. For that reason many interpreters sign and lip sync.

Her audience also was comprised, I supposed, of hearing people. Her lip synching the words helps them match the signs with the words.

If she was vocalizing like a hearing-impaired person (think Marlee Matlin in "Children of a Lesser God") you would have a point.
Yes, I know a 'few'. My spouse is Deaf, my first class in signing was at Gally, and one of my pet issues is disability rights. Since most of our interactions are with mixed hearing/Deaf crowds people are usually already talking at the same time as they are signing. If they are just signing though they do not try mouthing what they are saying. I rarely use lip movements when signing myself.

Yes, facial expressions do convey emotion. Expressions are not lip movements though.

In the video there is singing in a 'Deaf accent' going on. I am going to guess that was the soundtrack she was playing, but IN THE CONTEXT of her mouthing the words it changes any communication she is adding with lip movements to that of trying to lip sync to it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossatron View Post
i know couple of deaf people and they prefer lip reading to SL as far as communicating with "normal" people goes.
Most that I know say the exact opposite!
__________________
through the years: Apple ][ eventually upgraded to a //e (and it never really died), Centris 660AV, PowerMac 7600, Macbook, iPod 5G, eMac, a couple of aluminium iMacs, STILL hoping for a 2013 MP
KaraH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
eawmp1
macrumors 601
 
eawmp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraH View Post
Yes, I know a 'few'. My spouse is Deaf, my first class in signing was at Gally, and one of my pet issues is disability rights. Since most of our interactions are with mixed hearing/Deaf crowds people are usually already talking at the same time as they are signing. If they are just signing though they do not try mouthing what they are saying. I rarely use lip movements when signing myself.
My apologies, but I think you are being a bit defensive.

Cee Lo is quite expressive in his facial expressions in his video. I saw an enthusiastic girl dancing and signing and lipsyncing her heart out. I suspect when she dances and is not signing she sings with the same facial expressions. I didn't see her mocking the deaf. Pehaps the laughter of her audience (usually when Cee Lo drops the F-bomb) also colors the perception of the video.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 04:36 PM   #9
AnimaLeo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraH View Post
I had the opposite reaction and would have given her an F.

Even if she is not singing the words (how to tell with the sound quality) one thing is pretty clear. She is making fun of how Deaf people sound as she did not NEED to be mouthing the words.

If she had just danced and signed it would be one thing. She did not though. Look at the vid and you will see that her mouth is moving.

I will give her the benefit of the doubt that maybe that was not her intention. It does not excuse the result though and someone in a sign language class should know better. Hopefully the teacher had the same reaction.
Wrong. You mouth words along with lots of signs. Anyone that studies ASL/BSL knows this.
AnimaLeo is offline   2 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sign Language interpreter at Mandela's Memorial a " FAKE " Jesla Wasteland 25 Dec 12, 2013 09:36 PM
iPad: iPad 2: Green Screen Yesterday, early sign of trouble? fskywalker iPad 4 Feb 20, 2013 03:48 AM
iPad: Does this Incipio Smart Feather in green match the green smart cover? MusicEnthusiast iPad Accessories 1 Feb 6, 2013 05:12 PM
Can't install using Lion USB - get prohibitory sign (no smoking sign) prograham MacBook Air 4 Aug 21, 2012 12:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC