Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I got offered $1900 (maybe $1800) for my 2012 rMBP. Specs are:
2.3ghz, 16gb ram, gtx 650m, and of course retina display.
It's the older model, so I might be willing to part with it IF something comes out in the summer. Is it a good price to sell it for? It's on Craigslist btw. Thanks.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
It's a good price... here in chicago area there are few people selling your configuration for 1600$....

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
It's the older model, so I might be willing to part with it IF something comes out in the summer. Is it a good price to sell it for? It's on Craigslist btw. Thanks.

Considering Apple is selling refurbs with a full warranty for $1800, I'd wonder about the offer. is the seller willing to meet you at a public place and pay cash or do they want to send you payment and have you ship the computer? There are a lot of scammers who will offer a high price, send a check and then press for shipment as soon as the check clears. There are a lot of other variants on this type of scam; especially since most people don't realize just because a check "clears" in 3 days doesn't mean it is good. Banks release funds but when the check bounces take it right back out.

I'm not saying this is not a legit offer, but google Craigslist Scams to protect yourself.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Considering Apple is selling refurbs with a full warranty for $1800, I'd wonder about the offer. is the seller willing to meet you at a public place and pay cash or do they want to send you payment and have you ship the computer? There are a lot of scammers who will offer a high price, send a check and then press for shipment as soon as the check clears. There are a lot of other variants on this type of scam; especially since most people don't realize just because a check "clears" in 3 days doesn't mean it is good. Banks release funds but when the check bounces take it right back out.

I'm not saying this is not a legit offer, but google Craigslist Scams to protect yourself.

The offer may be legit, maybe the guy does not knows too much about the machine current street prices, but be careful.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
The offer may be legit, maybe the guy does not knows too much about the machine current street prices, but be careful.

True, but I'd say the odds are on the "it's a scammer" side; which is why the "be careful" is key. There are so many scammers out there and once you send them money or computer it's generally gone forever. Scammers can be pretty persuasive and play on greed. Personally, I'd only:

1. Sell to someone locally
  2. Insist on cash
  3. Only meet in a well trafficked public place that has multiple exits, that I can hang around for a while, and get to early

With a MBP you could setup a genius bar appointment, have the machine checked out and swap cash right there (assuming Apple wouldn't object).

While that may seem like overkill Craigslist gives crooks a way to pre-select victims; and if you make it hard to run their scam they simply move on to an easier mark.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
True, but I'd say the odds are on the "it's a scammer" side; which is why the "be careful" is key. There are so many scammers out there and once you send them money or computer it's generally gone forever. Scammers can be pretty persuasive and play on greed. Personally, I'd only:

2. Insist on cash
  3. Only meet in a well trafficked public place that has multiple exits, that I can hang around for a while, and get to early

With a MBP you could setup a genius bar appointment, have the machine checked out and swap cash right there (assuming Apple wouldn't object).

While that may seem like overkill Craigslist gives crooks a way to pre-select victims; and if you make it hard to run their scam they simply move on to an easier mark.

Agree, very good recommendations. Even though it is more expensive, I sell mostly on Ebay and rely on their protection policy, only sell (or buy) outside of Ebay by following the recommendations made above.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA

With 16gb ram? Already taking precaution with payment. Agreeing on either a certified check or cashiers check, meeting in a very public place.

----------

2. Insist on cash

It's local
Cashiers check/certified check?
Yes. Plus, I already have a Genius Bar appointment set up before we meet.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Only go for cash or direct lodgement of money into your account.

Never agree on cheque or a bank draft.. They can be cancelled too easily and you'll be caught out.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Cash. Or meet at a bank (preferably yours) so you can deposit right away.

That is exactly what I did once when I sold a road bike to a guy that wanted to pay cash (was concerned with fake money). We went to my bank and did the deposit, then I gave him the bike, no issues!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Cash. Or meet at a bank (preferably yours) so you can deposit right away.

A fake check will deposit just as easily if you did it alone or with the buyer. Cash only, if the buyer is legit, he'll agree to the terms. If he insists on over-paying with a check, then its a scam

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
A fake check will deposit just as easily if you did it alone or with the buyer. Cash only, if the buyer is legit, he'll agree to the terms. If he insists on over-paying with a check, then its a scam

True. The only way to be sure on a check is to go to the issuing bank and cashing it then since they will immediately see if there are sufficient funds and a valid check. Quite frankly, if they can go to the trouble and cost of a cashiers or certified check they can simply give you cash.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
True. The only way to be sure on a check is to go to the issuing bank and cashing it then since they will immediately see if there are sufficient funds and a valid check. Quite frankly, if they can go to the trouble and cost of a cashiers or certified check they can simply give you cash.

Although I fundamentally agree with you, spending a few dollars for a certified or cashiers check, which guarantees the funds are there to back the check, is, perhaps, for some, more comfortable than carrying around $1900 in cash.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Although I fundamentally agree with you, spending a few dollars for a certified or cashiers check, which guarantees the funds are there to back the check, is, perhaps, for some, more comfortable than carrying around $1900 in cash.

This is exactly why it was done.

PigDog

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
I too would be very careful of fake cashiers checks and money orders, even a bank can be fooled, would you know if it is legit?

How about asking for 2 postal orders they can be purchased up to $1000 and meet at a post office and have them verify them there prior to you handing over your Apple.

Yes there are also fake postal money orders too, I read that a real one is purchased and it is altered.

A US postal money order can be cashed in most post offices with ID

Play smart and do not get ripped off.

Just my thoughts....

This is exactly why it was done.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I too would be very careful of fake cashiers checks and money orders, even a bank can be fooled, would you know if it is legit?

How about asking for 2 postal orders they can be purchased up to $1000 and meet at a post office and have them verify them there prior to you handing over your Apple.

Yes there are also fake postal money orders too, I read that a real one is purchased and it is altered.

A US postal money order can be cashed in most post offices with ID

Play smart and do not get ripped off.

Just my thoughts....

He says its with TD Bank.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I would handle nothing but cash. Make sure that the bills he gives you are real. (Usually a watermark check will suffice..I know it does at Walmart since I cashier there while not in school)

Honestly, if he has the money he can turn it into hundred dollar bills easily by going to a bank...tell him you will meet him at the bank he uses.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.

Agree. I was referring to the check being cashier's check only. Should have been more clear.
I would never except a personal check for a Craig's sale, even at a bank.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012

That seems like a great price. Please be careful if it is a scam. I have seen too many stories on the news regarding this. Be safe

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Maybe too good to be true. Be careful. Was thinking, why would the buyer offer $1800 to an item he has yet to see and inspect if it's working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.