Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red Fuji

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
USA-Pacifc Standard Time
While i love the imac i do have a gripe.
My igripe is the lack of side jacks. All the jacks are back facing. What are you thinking Apple? Some of us do need to plug and unplug things back there like SD card, headphone, USB, thunderbolt. I am sure it was a cost saving move for Apple-great ! nice job - how about us consumers & ergonomics stuff ? I am not thrilled in having to grab and turn the monitor every time I need to plug something in backthere. Oh ..but I am mesmerized by the thin-edged display! looks great-maybe. Forget about functionality, looks is everything. NOT excatly when it comes to computers. I would have much loved some side jacks instead of the 'flimsy looking' thin edges. Thanks for thinking of us Apples. I think Apple failed on that one going over there head with the image thing and sacrificing functionality-which i dont think looks all that sexy.

refurb 27" iMac i7 3.4Ghz, 1TB Fusion, 8GB RAM, GTX 680MX

Last edited:

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
while it's a pain for plugging and unplugging, it makes complete sense for apple's design language. The idea is minimalism, and placing the ports on the rear, with cables fed through the hole in the stand, in theory all connected peripherals are still totally hidden from view when looking at the imac. Adding ports on the side changes the silhouette which is obviously important to apple and jony ive...

One of the caveats of design first thinking.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hmm, you know beforehand what you are buying, you knew those ports are on the back.
Also, how many desktop computers have all their ports on the front, NONE, most of the PC Towers have most of the ports on the back and just 1 or 2 USB ports and the SD Card slot on the front.

The only port which should be on the side is the SD Card slot I think, the rest should be on the back.
If you need to change devices a lot some extension cables or a thunderbolt dock might help!

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Hmm, you know beforehand what you are buying, you knew those ports are on the back.
Also, how many desktop computers have all their ports on the front, NONE, most of the PC Towers have most of the ports on the back and just 1 or 2 USB ports and the SD Card slot on the front.

The only port which should be on the side is the SD Card slot I think, the rest should be on the back.
If you need to change devices a lot some extension cables or a thunderbolt dock might help!

That's right. Because most of the time desktop machine plugged into permanent peripherals such as printer, speaker, backup HDD which hardly removed.

Well that's just the price you pay for having a nice looking computer. I need to get up to plug something onto the back, oh well first world problem.

The best solution would be get a decent USB hub, or a wired Apple keyboard, it's a piece of excellent keyboard, having a numpad is necessity for some, and also it resides 2 USB plugs on the side, also no need to replace battery constantly is a breeze for the long run. No other keyboard could do that nicely.

Screw :apple: wireless keyboard.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
While i love the imac i do have a gripe.
My igripe is the lack of side jacks. All the jacks are back facing. What are you thinking Apple? Some of us do need to plug and unplug things back there like SD card, headphone, USB, thunderbolt. I am sure it was a cost saving move for Apple-great ! nice job - how about us consumers & ergonomics stuff ? I am not thrilled in having to grab and turn the monitor every time I need to plug something in backthere. Oh ..but I am mesmerized by the thin-edged display! looks great-maybe. Forget about functionality, looks is everything. NOT excatly when it comes to computers. I would have much loved some side jacks instead of the 'flimsy looking' thin edges. Thanks for thinking of us Apples. I think Apple failed on that one going over there head with the image thing and sacrificing functionality-which i dont think looks all that sexy.

refurb 27" iMac i7 3.4Ghz, 1TB Fusion, 8GB RAM, GTX 680MX

Seriously, come on do you really want an iMac to look like a AIO PC, yeach!

However if you want Apple to know then write Apple, you can reach them at http://www.apple.com/feedback however don't expect a reply but you can make your voice heard. You can do that here but I doubt Apple reads this forum or even cares about it.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
while it's a pain for plugging and unplugging, it makes complete sense for apple's design language. The idea is minimalism, and placing the ports on the rear, with cables fed through the hole in the stand, in theory all connected peripherals are still totally hidden from view when looking at the imac. Adding ports on the side changes the silhouette which is obviously important to apple and jony ive...

One of the caveats of design first thinking.

Thanks for the suggestion, I did have several cables pending on the desk but now I have put them trough the hole on the back and at least I can't no longer see them!

On the point of the SD card I agree is a pain, would be nice to have a reader in the keyboard!..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.