Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

View Poll Results: Terrorist entity numero uno
Al Qaida 25 31.25%
Hamas 4 5.00%
US/CIA/White House/Pentagon 39 48.75%
Iran 12 15.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:05 PM   #1
rovex
macrumors 65816

Biggest terrorist entity in the world today

Feel free to pick and choose the option you find best suits the following defintions of terrorism, widely accepted by most intellectuals and used in British and American law:

1. the use or threat is designed to influence the government or an international governmental organisation or to intimidate the public or a section of the public.

2. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes

3 the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause.

4. Government or resistance to government by means of terror.

By biggest, we obviously refer to its global reach and impact. Civilian deaths, human rights abuses, you get the picture.

EDIT: There are too many bodies to name, Thrown one in if i've missed a glaring one.

Last edited by rovex; Apr 19, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
rovex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

Government of the United States of America.
Peterkro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:30 PM   #3
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Is is terrorception when one terrorist entity uses another terrorist entity to push their own agenda (as it happens almost on a daily basis)?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:37 PM   #4
rovex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
Is is terrorception when one terrorist entity uses another terrorist entity to push their own agenda (as it happens almost on a daily basis)?
I suppose yes, hence why Iran has been included to the list. Conflict by proxy also applies to the West, in syria for example.

I probably should of added Israel and a few EU countries. Also Al Qaida includes islamic extremism generally speaking, as that is supposedly scaring the **** out of western governments.

Last edited by rovex; Apr 19, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:35 PM   #5
PowerPCMacMan
Banned

The Fascist Government of the United States of America and their flag is not any friend of ours..

I prefer RED over their flag and government.. Just my opinion, of course..
PowerPCMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:42 AM   #6
blackfox
macrumors 65816

Though not on the list, I'd posit that multinationals (and their global mafia mirror image) top the list. Follow the money, as it were...
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:00 AM   #7
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPCMacMan View Post
The Fascist Government of the United States of America and their flag is not any friend of ours.
I don't think you actually know what fascism is. But hey, it is one of those cool words to throw around on the internet when you want to make a point, so have at it.
Renzatic is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:03 AM   #8
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

I'm going to go with cancer, or heart disease, maybe traffic accidents.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:08 AM   #9
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Autoerotic asphyxiation! The one true terror of the terminally bored!
Renzatic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:08 AM   #10
flameproof
macrumors 6502

Strange poll, you mention Hamas, but not Mossad - Iran, but not North Korea. Syria? No?

And I always get puzzled by the word biggest. Is that 'biggest' as in area covered, no. of members, outlets, activities, achievements?
flameproof is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 03:17 AM   #11
rovex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_piano295 View Post
I'm going to go with cancer, or heart disease, maybe traffic accidents.
I'm not sure what to say. Did you even read the definitions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameproof View Post
Strange poll, you mention Hamas, but not Mossad - Iran, but not North Korea. Syria? No?

And I always get puzzled by the word biggest. Is that 'biggest' as in area covered, no. of members, outlets, activities, achievements?
Yes, i should of added more.... Hezbollah, NK, Saudi Arabia and so on. Too many to list.

Well i did say by biggest i meant impact, so that would include much of what you've said including death toll and events.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
Though not on the list, I'd posit that multinationals (and their global mafia mirror image) top the list. Follow the money, as it were...
Well then i should of just put capitalism as a whole in that case!

Last edited by rovex; Apr 20, 2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 03:27 AM   #12
mandis
Banned

Where do I begin...

Israel

Google

Facebook

The Banks

The Stock Market

Hollywood
mandis is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:51 AM   #13
astrorider
macrumors 6502

If the US government is a terrorist organization simply because it uses it's military might to influence the behaviors of other states, so is every government with a military. The point of a military is to be able to defend one's country against threats, and the existence of a military influences others not to attack. So all your poll seems to be asking is whether the US has the biggest military.

Your "intellectual" definition of terrorism includes nothing about the intentional tactics used against innocent civilians, where the difference between the US and organizations like Al Qaeda is obvious.
astrorider is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:58 AM   #14
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPCMacMan View Post
The Fascist Government of the United States of America and their flag is not any friend of ours..

I prefer RED over their flag and government.. Just my opinion, of course..
As a 19 year old, your wealth of life experience certainly renders your comments deserving of serious consideration.

Please don't throw the word Facist around too easily...it has meanings for many that you apparently don't understand.

And now to my question...you refer to a ..."friend of OURS". Who are the others to whom you refer...or is that the Royal third person plural??

Last edited by Shrink; Apr 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
Shrink is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:26 AM   #15
rovex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
If the US government is a terrorist organization simply because it uses it's military might to influence the behaviors of other states, so is every government with a military. The point of a military is to be able to defend one's country against threats, and the existence of a military influences others not to attack. So all your poll seems to be asking is whether the US has the biggest military.

Your "intellectual" definition of terrorism includes nothing about the intentional tactics used against innocent civilians, where the difference between the US and organizations like Al Qaeda is obvious.
The US has used its military might illegally more than any other state over the last 60 years. You say the point of a military is to be able to defend a country against threats, well maybe you can explain to me in what way Nicaragua/Vietnam/honduras/Guatemala/Iraq were threats, when in reality the intervention of US military was to extend its sphere of influence or imperialism under the banner of humanitarian aid. NO state has broken as many UN resolutions as the US. US is the only country to have rejected an international court of justice appeal. The UN acts a vehicle to drive US imperialism and safeguard the apartheid state of Israel. China by the way has the second largest military, you don't see them attacking helpless states or sending drones to kill suspects, which happens to be mostly civilians as well as illegal.

It's not my definition(s), but if were to go by the definitions above, the US tactics are just a brutal as those employed by Al Qaida, for political gains. Except the death toll is where the two really split.

Last edited by rovex; Apr 20, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
rovex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:58 AM   #16
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Maybe I'm alone in my feelings - but I feel like we throw the word terrorist around too much here in the US. It seems like you can only be a terrorist if you are muslim. Why aren't we calling the man who allegedly sent the poison letters a terrorist? Obviously he was trying to make some type of political statement.

Further, why aren't we calling Adam Lanza and James Holmes terrorists? Those two men are probably going to have a greater effect on our laws and everyday lives than the marathon bombers will. We'll never know what prompted Lanza to walk into that school and shoot children, but there is obviously a reason an elementary school was targeted.
Moyank24 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:25 AM   #17
astrorider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovex View Post
The US has used its military might illegally more than any other state over the last 60 years. You say the point of a military is to be able to defend a country against threats, well maybe you can explain to me in what way Nicaragua/Vietnam/honduras/Guatemala/Iraq were threats, when in reality the intervention of US military was to extend its sphere of influence or imperialism under the banner of humanitarian aid. NO state has broken as many UN resolutions as the US. US is the only country to have rejected an international court of justice appeal. The UN acts a vehicle to drive US imperialism and safeguard the apartheid state of Israel. China by the way has the second largest military, you don't see them attacking helpless states or sending drones to kill suspects, which happens to be mostly civilians as well as illegal.

It's not my definition(s), but if were to go by the definitions above, the US tactics are just a brutal as those employed by Al Qaida, for political gains. Except the death toll is where the two really split.
Got it...you object to the last 70 years or so of US foreign policy so you attempt to draw a moral equivalency between US who attempts to minimize civilian collateral damage during military engagements, and actual terrorists who intentionally target civilians. It looks like the definition of terrorism you cite is so vague as to be almost meaningless.
astrorider is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:25 AM   #18
eric/

Voted for the US since it's obviously the most ridiculous option.
eric/ is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:27 AM   #19
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Religious extremists.
ucfgrad93 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:38 AM   #20
rovex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
Got it...you object to the last 70 years or so of US foreign policy so you attempt to draw a moral equivalency between US who attempts to minimize civilian collateral damage during military engagements, and actual terrorists who intentionally target civilians. It looks like the definition of terrorism you cite is so vague as to be almost meaningless.
They sure do attempt to minimise collateral damage, how's 125,000 iraqis for you? Another hundred or so thousand in Afghanistan, same thing in the Americas, where no threat or terrorism towards America existed. I have used definitions from american and british law, which are widely accepted by most scholars and intellectuals. if you can come up with a better one, go for it. Until then, it's difficult to make a case that the US has not been terrorising the world as we know it for political and economic ends.

Last edited by rovex; Apr 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:43 AM   #21
eric/

Quote:
They sure do attempt to minimise collateral damage, how's 125,000 iraqis for you? Another hundred or so thousand in Afghanistan, same thing in the Americas, where no threat or terrorism towards America existed. I have used definitions from american and british law, which are widely accepted by most scholars and intellectuals. if you can come with a better one, go for it. Until then, it's difficult to make a case that the US has not been terrorising the world as we know it for political and economic ends.
Do you support the US government?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:45 AM   #22
rovex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Do you support the US government?
I don't support terrorists, neither should you.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:50 AM   #23
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
They sure do attempt to minimise collateral damage, how's 125,000 iraqis for you? Another hundred or so thousand in Afghanistan, same thing in the Americas, where no threat or terrorism towards America existed. I have used definitions from american and british law, which are widely accepted by most scholars and intellectuals. if you can come with a better one, go for it. Until then, it's difficult to make a case that the US has not been terrorising the world as we know it for political and economic ends.
You have a valid point.

How many more civilians have been killed by US troops in Iraq/Afghanistan then in "terror" attacks here?

Is it really that hard to understand why there are people in this world who hate us?
Moyank24 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:55 AM   #24
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
Government of the United States of America.
Absolutely.

The main difference, is that when you're the winner, you get to call yourself what you want.

It would be my hope that the U.S. could lose it's reliance on militaristic solutions and embrace peace and cooperation more thoroughly.

But I'm getting kind of old.

So I may not see that day.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:55 AM   #25
eric/

Quote:
I don't support terrorists, neither should you.
So do you support the US government?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues