Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I'll start.
Ordering at restaurants:
If you are over 25 you say "I'LL HAVE a steak and french fries."

If you're under 25, you say "CAN I GET a steak and french fries?" as if this was a question subject to approval.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Are the phrases "the bees knees", "23 skidoo", "oh you kid", and "Gee, Dad, it's a Wurlitzer" still in use by you youngsters??:confused:

I'm over 25...about 2 1/2 times over 25...:p

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
If you're under 25, you say "CAN I GET a steak and french fries?" as if this was a question subject to approval.

It's not about approval more politeness. Stating what you're having to me feels a bit like a demand, which while you're totally entitled to make as a paying customer just isn't how I'd do things.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It's not about approval more politeness. Stating what you're having to me feels a bit like a demand, which while you're totally entitled to make as a paying customer just isn't how I'd do things.

Agree ^^^

I'm very big on being polite to everybody. Being a paying customer does not,IMO, free one to be impolite, demanding, or disrespectful to anyone...especially and particularly waitstaff.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

It might be more about being a dependent rather than politeness. Childhood habits linger, just as younger adults refer to friends as "kids".

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
It might be more about being a dependent rather than politeness. Childhood habits linger, just as younger adults refer to friends as "kids".

Certainly doesn't feel that way from my perspective, if anything the opposite as friends of mine who are more independent and have worked those jobs are just that little bit more considerate towards service workers.

Not heard of the kids thing, can you give an example of it?

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Certainly doesn't feel that way from my perspective, if anything the opposite as friends of mine who are more independent and have worked those jobs are just that little bit more considerate towards service workers.

Not heard of the kids thing, can you give an example of it?

Just generally. "Is that kid a friend of yours?" referring to a 21 year old.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
What about "Can I become a steak, please?" Still wrong? Lots of polite people around here used to say that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.