Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Hooterville
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Question Selling an iPhone 5 on contract - do I remove the Sim card?

Have 2 iPhone 5's on Verizon contract and I'm going to sell one on eBay.
I see how you can clear and erase all data and content.
Will this remove my phone number from the phone?

Also should I remove the sim card before I ship it out?
Never sold an iPhone 5 before.
Hooterville is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:33 PM   #2
chilibball
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I would definitely remove the SIM cards. I would also call Verizon to deactivate the iPhones from your account.

Kevin
__________________
Its an iPod Touch not an iTouch!
It's funny how people like to bash others on the forums a lot because I think sudo commands are better!
chilibball is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:58 PM   #3
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Restoring the phone isn't going to remove your number. You will either need to replace the phone with another phone oine or by phoning Verizon. If all you do is restore, the next user technically would have your number in his/her hands. Your sim is also something you should keep, however they can always deactivate it for you as well. Nano sims should be reusable, so if you wanted to include it, as long as its deactivated, that would be fine.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:17 AM   #4
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Restoring the phone isn't going to remove your number. You will either need to replace the phone with another phone oine or by phoning Verizon. If all you do is restore, the next user technically would have your number in his/her hands. Your sim is also something you should keep, however they can always deactivate it for you as well. Nano sims should be reusable, so if you wanted to include it, as long as its deactivated, that would be fine.
SIM cards are not reusable. The minute it's deactivated, it's done and garbage. The OP should keep his SIM card, since like any other gsm network, Verizon's new LTE needs a SIM card to operate. As long as the phone is deactivated on their account, SIM card removed, and phone restored as new, the OP should be fine. Don't send your SIM card with the phone, as it will be useless to the next person anyways. As long as the phone is officially removed off the OP's account, the new owner just needs to pop in his SIM card and call Verizon to have the phone activated on their account. The new owner won't have the original owners number or anything. It's not like an old CDMA phone and the troubles that happened when selling them in the past. Remove SIM card, make a phone call to Verizon to remove the phones MEID from the account and you're good to go.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:30 AM   #5
PhoenixMac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
SIM cards are not reusable. The minute it's deactivated, it's done and garbage. The OP should keep his SIM card, since like any other gsm network, Verizon's new LTE needs a SIM card to operate. As long as the phone is deactivated on their account, SIM card removed, and phone restored as new, the OP should be fine. Don't send your SIM card with the phone, as it will be useless to the next person anyways. As long as the phone is officially removed off the OP's account, the new owner just needs to pop in his SIM card and call Verizon to have the phone activated on their account. The new owner won't have the original owners number or anything. It's not like an old CDMA phone and the troubles that happened when selling them in the past. Remove SIM card, make a phone call to Verizon to remove the phones MEID from the account and you're good to go.
Wrong I was able to swap an iPhone 5 from my account to my wifes account using the same sim.
__________________
"Good artists copy, Great artists steal"
-Steve Jobs
PhoenixMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:37 AM   #6
hexonxonx
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver Colorado
I don't think the sim card in the Verizon iPhone is actually used until you use it to activate on A GSM network overseas. This explains why the phone can still make a phone call with the sim removed. It is not needed for use in the US although it will prompt you to insert one.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:39 AM   #7
CEmajr
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
I don't think the sim card in the Verizon iPhone is actually used until you use it to activate on A GSM network overseas. This explains why the phone can still make a phone call with the sim removed. It is not needed for use in the US.
It's used. When I would take my SIM card out of my Verizon iPhone 5 it would change to 'no service'.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:40 AM   #8
hexonxonx
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
It's used. When I would take my SIM card out of my Verizon iPhone 5 it would change to 'no service'.
I was able to make calls without a sim card in mine.

I sold mine in January and I before I did, I tried removing the sim card to see if the phone would still work, it did. Verizon doesn't use sim cards on their network. The sim is included only for use overseas although the 5 is unlocked and will work on T-Mobile.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:59 AM   #9
CEmajr
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
I was able to make calls without a sim card in mine.

I sold mine in January and I before I did, I tried removing the sim card to see if the phone would still work, it did. Verizon doesn't use sim cards on their network. The sim is included only for use overseas although the 5 is unlocked and will work on T-Mobile.
Did you have a 5 or a 4S? On my 5 it would say 'no service' when I took the Verizon sim card out. I know it doesn't matter for the 4S.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:01 AM   #10
hexonxonx
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
Did you have a 5 or a 4S? On my 5 it would say 'no service' when I took the Verizon sim card out. I know it doesn't matter for the 4S.
I had a 4S.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:38 AM   #11
boobie12
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
I had a 4S.
Yea in the 5 you remove the SIM card and it won't work. I swapped iphone 5 with someone to change colors, and all we had to do was switch sims.
boobie12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:57 AM   #12
macalec
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
Have 2 iPhone 5's on Verizon contract and I'm going to sell one on eBay.
I see how you can clear and erase all data and content.
Will this remove my phone number from the phone?

Also should I remove the sim card before I ship it out?
Never sold an iPhone 5 before.
I would simply erase all content and settings, and then pull the sim card out of the phone- thus ensuring the number will not stay with the phone after you sell it.

If you wont be using that number anymore, destroy the card.
macalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Charadis
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
I had a 4S.
Unlike the 4S, the 5 requires the SIM on Verizon in order for normal cellular features to work. I have a Verizon 5 with an AT&T SIM installed, and everything I do is directed to my AT&T account. If I remove SIM, No Service is displayed.

I currently still have this phone tied to a Verizon account for iPhone (fam plan, have not yet cancelled line). Sent from my iPhone 5.
Charadis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:22 AM   #14
braddick
macrumors 68030
 
braddick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
If you registered your iPhone with Apple don't forget to unregister it.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 06:56 PM   #15
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMac View Post
Wrong I was able to swap an iPhone 5 from my account to my wifes account using the same sim.
I meant once a sim was unregistered or deactivated, it can't be reactivated, making it useless to the next person. Switching active SIM cards is a whole different thing. The op needs to remove the SIM card and not give it to the next person.

And on an iPhone 4S, the SIM card is only for overseas roaming and isn't required for domestic Verizon use. The phone will still work with it removed. However the iPhone 5 using Verizon's lte network needs a SIM card in order to work. Removing it gives you a "no sim installed" error and won't work.

So no, I'm not wrong.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 5S 32GB Space Grey
iPad Mini 16GB Black, iPad 1 32 GB Black
iPod Touch 4th Generation 64GB Black
Apple TV 3rd Generation, Apple AirPort Express 2nd Generation
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:02 PM   #16
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
SIM cards are not reusable. The minute it's deactivated, it's done and garbage. The OP should keep his SIM card, since like any other gsm network, Verizon's new LTE needs a SIM card to operate. As long as the phone is deactivated on their account, SIM card removed, and phone restored as new, the OP should be fine. Don't send your SIM card with the phone, as it will be useless to the next person anyways. As long as the phone is officially removed off the OP's account, the new owner just needs to pop in his SIM card and call Verizon to have the phone activated on their account. The new owner won't have the original owners number or anything. It's not like an old CDMA phone and the troubles that happened when selling them in the past. Remove SIM card, make a phone call to Verizon to remove the phones MEID from the account and you're good to go.
Nano SIM cards are reusable now. This is new, and is only true for the nano sims (and presumably anything that comes after them).
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC