Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Hi,

I'm trying to update to 6.1.2 (my device is still on 5.1.1!) but I get the following error:

m8QUjMK.png

I've checked my hosts file (it's clear) and restarted my iPad etc, but I still get this error. Any ideas please? :(

Thanks

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Thank you Intell, is there absolutely no way around it?

(damn it Apple... I've purchased so many Apple products over the years but I've just about had enough tbh)

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Thank you Intell, is there absolutely no way around it?

(damn it Apple... I've purchased so many Apple products over the years but I've just about had enough tbh)

lol?

You've had enough of what? its been known for a long time that you can only update to the latest software available at that time.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Thank you (argh!)

I'm now stuck with a device that can't run a load of apps that I'd like :(

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thank you (argh!)

I'm now stuck with a device that can't run a load of apps that I'd like :(

Why don't you update to 6.1.3?

Jailbroken? In that case, it's usually good practice to update to the latest jailbreakable software ASAP, otherwise you get stuck in these situations.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
You've had enough of what? its been known for a long time that you can only update to the latest software available at that time.
At one point I was fully 'in' the Apple ecosystem - Macbook, Apple TV, iPad, iPhone etc but I've recently switched to Android because of how much of a pain it is to jailbreak. I really don't want to switch over to an Android tablet too, but having a device that can't do what (imo) it should be able to do doesn't make it easy to stick with iOS.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
At one point I was fully 'in' the Apple ecosystem - Macbook, Apple TV, iPad, iPhone etc but I've recently switched to Android because of how much of a pain it is to jailbreak. I really don't want to switch over to an Android tablet too, but having a device that can't do what (imo) it should be able to do doesn't make it easy to stick with iOS.

This latest jailbreak is incredibly simple, takes a couple of minutes but you had to be on the correct firmware to do it. Now the window is closed until iOS 7. But if iOS doesn't do what you need your mobile phone to do, then maybe it's not for you and Android is the way to go. No harm in that, to each his own! :cool:

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Why don't you update to 6.1.3?

Jailbroken? In that case, it's usually good practice to update to the latest jailbreakable software ASAP, otherwise you get stuck in these situations.
Thanks Tyler, I'll bear that in mind for the future, I really shouldn't have waited so long.

And yeah, ideally I need a jailbreak, in particular the 'Dimmer' tweak is essential for me, but a lot of other stuff is super useful too (RetinaPad, Bulletin, NCsettings etc are great)

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011

I think its obvious that if Apple doesn't offer what you want on a device you have to change to some company that does.

Jailbreaking is a pain because Apple doesn't want you to do it.

What is your device able to do on iOS 6.1.2 that it isn't on iOS 6.1.3?(keep in mind that jailbreak isn't a feature of iOS so you can't say that)

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
What is your device able to do on iOS 6.1.2 that it isn't on iOS 6.1.3? (keep in mind that jailbreak isn't a feature of iOS so you can't say that)
Lots. And to me, lots of essential things.

Just because Apple didn't intend for it to be that way, doesn't mean it isn't useful (or essential!)

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Lots. And to me, lots of essential things.

Just because Apple didn't intend for it to be that way, doesn't mean it isn't useful (or essential!)

I didn't say it wasn't useful or essential,it simply is this way and you either start upgrading when you hear a jailbreak is available or you change to another vendor that offers you what you want without the hassle.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I didn't say it wasn't useful or essential,it simply is this way and you either start upgrading when you hear a jailbreak is available or you change to another vendor that offers you what you want without the hassle.
Thanks DMH, I'll definitely bear this in mind in future :) Need to be on the ball with jailbreaks

(honestly I wish Apple would just let you jailbreak the device and focus on stopping actual app piracy instead)

manong30

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2013

Am I reading this correctly sir Intell, "you can't update an iPad to IOS 6.1.2"? How come there are firmwares out there available saying "Ipad Mini 6.1.2"? The only available update currently on iTunes is 6.1.3. I also wanted to update my ipad mini (6.0.2) to 6.1.2 because currently there is no jailbreak on 6.1.3.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Am I reading this correctly sir Intell, "you can't update an iPad to IOS 6.1.2"? How come there are firmwares out there available saying "Ipad Mini 6.1.2"? The only available update currently on iTunes is 6.1.3. I also wanted to update my ipad mini (6.0.2) to 6.1.2 because currently there is no jailbreak on 6.1.3.

You're reading that correctly. The only way to get to iOS 6.1.2 on an A5 or newer device is by getting there while Apple is signing it. They are currently no longer signing it and SHSH blobs are useless for A5 and newer devices, so that leaves iOS 6.1.3.

manong30

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2013
Wow, so i guess I'll just have to stick with 6.0.2 until a jailbreak comes out of 6.1.3 then. Thanks.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Honestly, jailbreaking an Apple device is a 2 minute - 1 click operation.
Not a pain at all.

The issue here is that too many "drop out" once they jailbreak, then by the time they decide they need to update to run newer apps, the jailbreak train has left the station without them. And many of them don't want to own the blame for procrastinating, so it's always Apple's fault or they claim the jailbreak to too difficult or ...

You see this on thread after thread after thread ...

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Honestly, jailbreaking an Apple device is a 2 minute - 1 click operation.
Not a pain at all.

The issue here is that too many "drop out" once they jailbreak, then by the time they decide they need to update to run newer apps, the jailbreak train has left the station without them. And many of them don't want to own the blame for procrastinating, so it's always Apple's fault or they claim the jailbreak to too difficult or ...

You see this on thread after thread after thread ...

Indeed,jailbreaking the 3G was a bigger hassle,when I did jailbreak my iPhone 5(i still prefer it non-jailbroken but trying it didn't hurt :p) it was basically:download program,connect phone,program recognizes iPhone,press jailbreak,let it do its thing,run last instruction,its done. So easy,almost as easy as restoring through iTunes,just press and wait.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Indeed,jailbreaking the 3G was a bigger hassle,when I did jailbreak my iPhone 5(i still prefer it non-jailbroken but trying it didn't hurt :p) it was basically:download program,connect phone,program recognizes iPhone,press jailbreak,let it do its thing,run last instruction,its done. So easy,almost as easy as restoring through iTunes,just press and wait.

Agreed, jailbreaking a 3G on iOS3 was much more involved than today's one click tools

Stinja

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm in the exact same situation as the OP.. Still on 5.1.1 on my iPad, want to update, but don't want to loose my jailbreak :(

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I'm in the exact same situation as the OP.. Still on 5.1.1 on my iPad, want to update, but don't want to loose my jailbreak :(

I chose to keep my mom's iPad on 5.1.1 because of the re-restore option. Granted, it's probably not going to get messed up but it's nice to have the assurance to restore. I'll probably update it to the iOS 7 jailbreak firmware though

Think of the positive side :)

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Android isn't exactly the best option either.

- Android device manufacturers tend to give up on updates for their devices once they are a year old. (Half of Android devices are still running Gingerbread 2.3 and Can't be updated). Talk about short device life.

-Although you could always root a Android device and load the most current OS a lot of the time the hardware can't handle the newer OS.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Android isn't exactly the best option either.

- Android device manufacturers tend to give up on updates for their devices once they are a year old. (Half of Android devices are still running Gingerbread 2.3 and Can't be updated). Talk about short device life.

-Although you could always root a Android device and load the most current OS a lot of the time the hardware can't handle the newer OS.

If the hardware can't handle the newer OS, that's probably why they give up on updates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.