Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Moved into a house recently (used to be in an apartment) and my Airport Extreme isnt performing as well anymore. I have my office upstairs and i guess the signal is having a hard time traveling but i'm only getting about 5 to 6mbps download speeds. if i carry my iMac downstairs I get 25mbps +

any advice? is it my airport extreme? is there a newer better router that has better range? any advice is much appreciated.

bought my airport extreme a little over 2 years ago.

tengtengvn

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2013
I only buy router with real external antenna. Upgraded my home router ASUS RT-AC66U with 3x 9dbi antenna. The coverage and speed is awesome.
The old router was a RT-N16 with DD-WRT.

innerdude

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
The Netgear WNDR-3700 is pretty stable and reliable, has file/printer sharing, etc...picked it up on a special at Best Buy for $60

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Moved into a house recently (used to be in an apartment) and my Airport Extreme isnt performing as well anymore. I have my office upstairs and i guess the signal is having a hard time traveling but i'm only getting about 5 to 6mbps download speeds. if i carry my iMac downstairs I get 25mbps +

any advice? is it my airport extreme? is there a newer better router that has better range? any advice is much appreciated.

bought my airport extreme a little over 2 years ago.

Add an airport express to the extreme to extend the coverage.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Two years isn't extremely old, but wireless routers do lose some "power" over time. Also, wireless signal is affected by a home's particular construction. You've got two variables in the equation.

Like others have said, you may need some equipment to extend the range. Hard to know if that's the answer of if a new router is in order...or both. If you decide to get a new router, you could try using your existing AE to extend the network if it seems necessary.

crispytreat

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
I second the addition of an airport express to give more coverage. I added one and the difference is very noticeable in previous dead areas or slow coverage.
Jimbo

I second that. I have an extreme/express combo and it gives me full coverage.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Two years isn't extremely old, but wireless routers do lose some "power" over time. Also, wireless signal is affected by a home's particular construction. You've got two variables in the equation.

Like others have said, you may need some equipment to extend the range. Hard to know if that's the answer of if a new router is in order...or both. If you decide to get a new router, you could try using your existing AE to extend the network if it seems necessary.

:confused:
Link to where they that is proven!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
is it my airport extreme?
Possibly. Could also just be the construction and/or layout of your home. Whenever you're moving into a larger home you can't just assume that the same WiFi network will work equally as well as it did in the previous place.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
looked up the airport express on apple.com and its $99?

i thought they were small devices that plugged into the wall and looked like charges and were about $60?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
looked up the airport express on apple.com and its $99?

That's correct. The new one looks like this.

3SNGR2D.png

You can get a refurb from Apple for $85.

i thought they were small devices that plugged into the wall and looked like charges and were about $60?

You are thinking of the previous generation model. Looks like this.

fpih7sL.png

The previous gen. is still available as a refurb for $69. I prefer this (old) version for travel.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am personally using an asus nt r56u router, which had a pretty impressive range.

Alternately, use home plugs to channel Ethernet to your study room?

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
As I am converting to Apple world, I wanted to switch from using my Netgear WNDR3700v2 (running netgear genie firmware) to AirPort Extreme, just so I could use one of my external HDDs for Time Machine backups as my Netgear does not support that; however, after going through two different AirPort Extreme routers I gave up and went back to using my 2 years old Netgear.

For some reasons, I could not get the 2.4 Ghz radio to work reliably. I could be right in the front of APE and my speeds wouldn't go above 8-10 mbps without chocking or timing out - tried manually switching channels, but nothing really helped. My Netgear on the other hand maxes out at 2.4 Ghz constantly delivering 32-34Mbps - huge difference.

The 5Ghz was also far from stellar, although the APE would usually give me 48-49 Mbps, my Netgear typically was in 54-55Mbps range outperforming APE by small margin.

I really like the simplicity of APE; however, I could not accept the fact that for close to $200 I was getting a very mediocre, almost non functioning device - very sad about it.

I will revisit the APE subject when the new models supporting AC standards show up, but at this point, I decided to spend $35 instead of close to $200 and got myself a twelve south backpack for my iMac and I do my Time Machine to my HDD directly attached to my iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.