Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1
TH55
macrumors 65816

Anyone else not like the profile with large photo at the top of Google search results

I am referring to the mini article that appears above the search results with basic info regarding the subject you are searching for. If you click the tab at the bottom with the down arrow it extends lower revealing the entire profile.

I hate it, it's very annoying. I almost never open it or use it as a resource because it is far inferior to Wikipedia. Just another intrusive, forced, and unnecessary poor addition to what was once a simple and efficient search engine.

Last edited by TH55; Apr 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2
TC03
macrumors 6502a

What? No clue what this is about.
TC03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:06 PM   #3
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
What? No clue what this is about.
Do a search of a certain person/place/thing in Google. Look at the article at the top of the results. Enjoy.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:30 PM   #4
naveah
macrumors regular

I can see how that might be annoying. But I actually love it. You get a quick blurb about that person without having to go to a separate Wikipedia (or other source) page.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:51 AM   #5
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveah View Post
I can see how that might be annoying. But I actually love it. You get a quick blurb about that person without having to go to a separate Wikipedia (or other source) page.
But if you want anything more than some very minor info you have to go to the Wikipedia or IMDB page anyway
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:35 AM   #6
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveah View Post
Isn't it contradicting the algorithm?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
Isn't it contradicting the algorithm?
Contradicting what algorithm? Showing a visual representation of the place or person is a great idea. Google uses this "cards" systems for lots of searches. It is much better than no visual representation at all. It does not affect the search results themselves.
bozzykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
Contradicting what algorithm? Showing a visual representation of the place or person is a great idea. Google uses this "cards" systems for lots of searches. It is much better than no visual representation at all. It does not affect the search results themselves.
Yeah it does because it didn't make it to the top based on relevance but was deliberately placed there. I find it annoying because I don't use it since it's sparse and incomplete and so it's just in the way.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:56 PM   #9
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yeah it does because it didn't make it to the top based on relevance but was deliberately placed there. I find it annoying because I don't use it since it's sparse and incomplete and so it's just in the way.
It's not a result. It is a card with information on what you are searching for. I don't see how you can say it isn't useful. I would imagine 99% of people find it useful to see who and what they are searching for which quick information.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:13 PM   #10
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It's not a result. It is a card with information on what you are searching for. I don't see how you can say it isn't useful. I would imagine 99% of people find it useful to see who and what they are searching for which quick information.
Exactly its not a result so it shouldn't be at the top of the results. Its not useful because it usually doesn't have all of the info I need, so it is just a bunch of fluff in the way.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:44 PM   #11
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Exactly its not a result so it shouldn't be at the top of the results. Its not useful because it usually doesn't have all of the info I need, so it is just a bunch of fluff in the way.
Fluff? What would be the point of it being at the bottom? If you already know all of the information, I am at a loss for why you are searching for it. Obviously it does not provide a full synopsis of every single result. But it gives you way more than a list of links. In most cases, it provides enough information to make sure you have found the correct person/place/thing.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:25 PM   #12
TH55
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Fluff? What would be the point of it being at the bottom? If you already know all of the information, I am at a loss for why you are searching for it. Obviously it does not provide a full synopsis of every single result. But it gives you way more than a list of links. In most cases, it provides enough information to make sure you have found the correct person/place/thing.
I rarely search for something to confirm that it is in fact what I thought it was. I look it up to get more information on it. The "list of links" is what I am looking for, it has the most comprehensive information. I do not want a few basic tid bits and a giant picture dominating 1/5 of the screen.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:43 PM   #13
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I rarely search for something to confirm that it is in fact what I thought it was. I look it up to get more information on it. The "list of links" is what I am looking for, it has the most comprehensive information. I do not want a few basic tid bits and a giant picture dominating 1/5 of the screen.
You better get use to it. Bing and Google are doing this based on user feedback. Having rich results is what most people want. It's no different than searching for the weather provides a weather card. Search engines are no longer about providing you a list of links.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone