Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:17 PM   #1
kazeth
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
no sound playing avi file on quicktime X

hey guys, trying to play an avi file on my new macbook air 11" and having problems. theres no sound. the audio stream of the file is apparently AC3 5.1 48000hz, but the ac3 codecs i've tried don't work.. help please??
kazeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:25 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
QT X is not recommended for AVI format/file playback, to play .avi files (most often using the Divx or Xvid codec) in Mac OS X you can use the following applications:
  • QuickTime Player, but you need Perian installed
  • VLC Player, which plays more than just .avi files, as it can also play .mkv, .mp4 and even many .wmv files
  • Movist, the same as VLC Player
  • MPLayerX, just like Movist or VLC Player (Mac App Store link)
All of those applications are free.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:33 PM   #3
kazeth
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
ok, its just that i have other avi files that work fine, they are xvid too, only the sound codec is different (mpeg layer 3). i can play the problem file in qt 7 and vlc fine, just a bit annoying that i cant use qt x seeing as it is so slick. perian made no difference so i uninstalled it, ive heard its incompatible with mountain lion anyway
kazeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazeth View Post
ok, its just that i have other avi files that work fine, they are xvid too, only the sound codec is different (mpeg layer 3). i can play the problem file in qt 7 and vlc fine, just a bit annoying that i cant use qt x seeing as it is so slick. perian made no difference so i uninstalled it, ive heard its incompatible with mountain lion anyway
It may be not supported anymore, but it is not incompatible, I and many others run it just fine in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

As for the problematic AVI file: In order to find out, what may be wrong with your video, you can use one of the following three applications to analyse the problematic video file.
When done, you can use the "Report" (VideoSpec) and "Export" (Media Inspector) button to export a report,
attachable to your next post via the button.
In MediaInfo you have to go to the Menu Bar, select View > Text and copy the text via CMD+A > CMD+C and paste it via CMD+V into your next post.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:39 PM   #5
kazeth
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 1.36 GiB
Duration : 1h 50mn
Overall bit rate : 1 766 Kbps
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2540/release

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 2
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Duration : 1h 50mn
Bit rate : 1 309 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 272 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.314
Stream size : 1.01 GiB (74%)
Writing library : XviD 61

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Codec ID : 2000
Duration : 1h 50mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 354 MiB (25%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms
kazeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:47 PM   #6
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazeth View Post
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 1.36 GiB
Duration : 1h 50mn
Overall bit rate : 1 766 Kbps
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2540/release

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 2
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Duration : 1h 50mn
Bit rate : 1 309 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 272 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.314
Stream size : 1.01 GiB (74%)
Writing library : XviD 61

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Codec ID : 2000
Duration : 1h 50mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 354 MiB (25%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms
Thanks, I understand better now. It seems the AC3 codec, as you probably already know, is the problem, due to its multi-channel audio, which seems to be not supported by QT X, or at least that AC3 codec, which was used with video DVDs back then.

Any reason you want to use QT X? Seeking is much slower in that excuse of a video player, among other things.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
U may luv QTx but face reality, it *really* doesn't want to support all the format you wanto throw at it.

Of course u can always re-encode ur files if u must use QTx.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:36 PM   #8
kazeth
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
i just thought that it was the gold standard, what do you guys recommend then for overall viewing apart from vlc? or is vlc just 'the best'?
kazeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 05:10 PM   #9
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazeth View Post
i just thought that it was the gold standard, what do you guys recommend then for overall viewing apart from vlc? or is vlc just 'the best'?
vlc is just the best
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:40 AM   #10
Miat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Between Quicktime 7 and VLC, I have been able to play every audio or video file I have come across.
Miat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:55 AM   #11
Gav2k
macrumors 603
 
Gav2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Perian hasn't been updated for mountain lion yet so native QuickTime support is lacking. As above use vlc player or similar till the issues addressed
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
vlc is just the best
Is versatile. Best uhmmmm?

Can i associate file types to VLC so when I click the video files, VLC automatically starts playing in a small window? Currently VLC wants me to LOAD video first into its playlist, THEN it will play. Looking for something simpler.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 03:57 PM   #13
dbroncos78087
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Only sort of relevant question

I noticed on my new MBA that when I play a video in QT it works fine until I pause it, then I get an echo in the volume. It sounds like the video has the regular volume and then a short time afterwards plays the same audio and it causes the echo. If I restart the video it sometimes fixes the problem.

I wanted to see if you all had some thoughts. Currently I'm running 10.8.3 and using QT with Perian. Maybe VLC or something else would fix it. I read that I can go into the settings and set it to single playback but don't have my computer now to test it.
__________________
13" MacBook Air Mid-2012: 1.8 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Mac Mini Late-2012: 2.3 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB HD
iPhone 5, black: 32 GB
iPad Mini Retina, white: 16 GB
dbroncos78087 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:41 AM   #14
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Is versatile. Best uhmmmm?

Can i associate file types to VLC so when I click the video files, VLC automatically starts playing in a small window? Currently VLC wants me to LOAD video first into its playlist, THEN it will play. Looking for something simpler.
then you've got it set up wrong. when I double-click on an AVI file for example that is exactly what happens.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help playing multi avi files on VLC WGR0918 Digital Video 2 Jul 5, 2013 11:55 AM
Ipad 2 lag when playing 720p.avi codrea iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Mar 14, 2013 08:14 AM
Playing AVI files directly fjp iPad Apps 6 Feb 4, 2013 12:34 PM
Need help with QuickTime Codecs (Casio .avi file playing only audio via iPhoto) purpleinnej Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Aug 14, 2012 08:38 AM
Casio Digital Camera video .avi file audio only in QuickTime purpleinnej Mac Applications and Mac App Store 9 Aug 11, 2012 08:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC