Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
A few months ago I decided to sell my iPad because I didn't think I needed it. I always found myself typing on my laptop because I really couldn't type efficiently on the tablet. Also the screen was cracked and I really couldn't stand it. Unfortunately replacing it wasn't an option because I was saving up to buy a new laptop and I couldn't afford to spend the high prices Apple puts for OOW repairs. Now, 2 months later, I really find myself regretting my decision. I used to use my iPad a lot for reading in the iBooks app and now I have a big list of books in my wish list in iTunes waiting to be purchased as soon as I get a new iPad (likely a new iPad Mini if it comes with Retina Display,or the 5th generation iPad). Also, even though I didn't use my iPad a lot for gaming, looking back now the gaming experience on the iPad was stunning and, in my opinion, can't even be matched by laptops, and surely not laptops of that size. Lastly, now that I have a new laptop and I'm using iWork with iCloud, I can see the potential of being able to edit documents on the go with the iPad and have them synced across all my devices. In conclusion, if you are considering selling your iPad, think twice before doing it.

Have you guys sold your iPad? Are you regretting it? Why or why not?

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I too have recently sold my Ipad 3 as the storage capacity was not enough to house my app library. The iPad ranked 2nd for my most used gadgets,1st being my iMac. Today I am writting this post on my iPhone, which seems like a mere pebble in a pond being accustomed to a 9" screen.

And as I painstakingly wait for the next generation IPads to be unveiled in apples fashion. I continue to get drawn to the iPad mini which seems even further away. I guess my only regret is, I should have hanged onto my iPad and passed it to a family member in the latter. Nevertheless I got 400 bucks for an iPad 3 32gb which seemed like a good deal at the time.

Last edited:

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
I returned my mini and I don't miss it one bit. For my uses, the only thing an iPad functions better than a laptop is as a reader. I don't game, and surfing on iOS is slow. I don't go anywhere where the laptop is too big. On the kitchen island, theatre room, sunroom, sofa, lying on a bed......using the laptop is more comfortable. Netflix loads waaaaaay faster on my laptop and I don't have to prop up the screen.

The speed difference between an iPad 4 and a non-flash based macbook may not be that great. But the iPad mini is a turtle compared to my 15" rMBP. I really thought the mini would be a perfect sidekick but it wasn't meant to be.

Good Karma

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
London UK
to the original poster, wait for the ipad mini 2nd generation with retina screen. i sold my ipad 1 for the ipad 3 retina and dont regret selling the ipad 1 at all, but would like to replace the ipad 3 with the mini retina

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
to the original poster, wait for the ipad mini 2nd generation with retina screen. i sold my ipad 1 for the ipad 3 retina and dont regret selling the ipad 1 at all, but would like to replace the ipad 3 with the mini retina

Yes that's exactly what I did, I sold my first gen iPad last March and bought the, then just released, 3rd gen iPad. I'll probably hold out for the Mini with retina and get that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

BeK

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
I too have recently sold my Ipad 3 as the storage capacity was not enough to house my app library. The iPad ranked 2nd for my most used gadgets,1st being my iMac. Today I am writting this post on my iPhone, which seems like a mere pebble in a pond being accustomed to a 9" screen.

And as I painstakingly wait for the next generation IPads to be unveiled in apples fashion. I continue to get drawn to the iPad mini which seems even further away. I guess my only regret is, I should have hanged onto my iPad and passed it to a family member in the latter. Nevertheless I got 400 bucks for an iPad 3 32gb which seemed like a good deal at the time.

I am thinking about selling my iPad 3 as well. I have the 64GB model. I wonder how much I could get for it.
$400 for a 32GB model isn't too bad.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
There will be a lag if people sell their Ipad when a new one is announced to get top dollar for what they have. Then I'll know if I miss my ipad. I can go cold turkey still owning it but I don't see that happening. I paid full price for it, I'm not just going to let it sit when I still own it to see if I miss it.

Then again, I didn't own an ipad till this past holiday season. Never missed it before then not having one even though I tried them in the store. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.