Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Got the iPhone from a friend a few weeks ago, took quite a few pics and videos and all was well. Then today I notice these spots on the sensor. Really? Being a photographer, I understand how this happens with my cameras as I switch lenses but how does an iPhone 5 thats been in a case get spots on its sensor? I have had many phones and have never seen this, so much for Apple superior build quality. I am taking it to the Apple store tomorrow and will probably get stuck with a refurbished one now. Dumping this thing for an S4 the day it comes out :rolleyes:

Attachments

• iPhone.JPG
    iPhone.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 136

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Out of the millions of millions of iPhone 5's Apple has sold, sadly there will be ones that have defects. Take it on the chin, go to Apple and get it replaced.

A refurbished iPhone goes under the same, if not stricter tests before it's passed onto you, so you have nothing to worry about. And in the case that the new iPhone has another problem, just take it back, either get another or a refund.

I've personally been through 3 iPhone 4's and am still 100% happy.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Out of the millions of millions of iPhone 5's Apple has sold, sadly there will be ones that have defects. Take it on the chin, go to Apple and get it replaced.

A refurbished iPhone goes under the same, if not stricter tests before it's passed onto you, so you have nothing to worry about. And in the case that the new iPhone has another problem, just take it back, either get another or a refund.

Thing is, this was not an issue until yesterday. I have seen posts with people going thru 4 or 5 iPhones because it keeps happening. Doesn't make me feel any better and I don't want refurbished junk, it brings the resale value way down when I go to sell it.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011

This is not an isolated problem, as you suggest. I've already replaced 2 different iPhone 5's due to this very issue. Just waiting for it to happen to my 3rd. Hopefully they get to the bottom of the issue by the time my 1 year warranty is up...

Definitely NOT the build quality we've come to accept from Apple.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Thing is, this was not an issue until yesterday. I have seen posts with people going thru 4 or 5 iPhones because it keeps happening. Doesn't make me feel any better and I don't want refurbished junk, it brings the resale value way down when I go to sell it.

I've sold quite a few iPhones that were refurbished for top dollar. So I'm not sure where you are getting that it brings the value down.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I've sold quite a few iPhones that were refurbished for top dollar. So I'm not sure where you are getting that it brings the value down.

It brings the value down when this becomes a "known issue" with iPhone 5's, down the line. People won't want used iPhone 5's that are out of warranty if they come with a high chance of developing unusable cameras.

Not everyone has the ability / free time to refurbish phones. Some of us just want to throw it on eBay / CL and be done with it when it's time to upgrade.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
It brings the value down when this becomes a "known issue" with iPhone 5's, down the line. People won't want used iPhone 5's that are out of warranty if they come with a high chance of developing unusable cameras.

Not everyone has the ability / free time to refurbish phones. Some of us just want to throw it on eBay / CL and be done with it when it's time to upgrade.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I put my 4S on Craigslist after getting the iPhone 5 and still sold it for $425 even tho it was a refurbished phone.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mine was swapped out last week with a new unit, no questions asked after demonstrating to the Genius Bar employee that the problem was a) existing and b) easily reproducible.

Bonus was that it was still on 6.1.2 so I got back some battery life as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.