Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I am exploring the option of buying a samsung 512gb ssd blade for my retina macbook pro.

Can you buy the same ones that they put in as standard from anywhere? I don't trust buying used ones from ebay - I doubt anyone is storing them in anti-static bags.

I dont want the OWC one either as I hear some pretty average reviews.

TA

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
They had some 512s last week, but used. Since Apple doesn't support the drive as user replaceable, you may have to go through a repair center to get ahold of any new.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I bought a 512GB Samsung OEM at Ebay from a very reputable seller, was new (removed from a new machine), came very well packed, no issues whatsoever. I later sold it on Ebay when upgraded from my 2.3 / 16 / 256GB rMBP to the current one I have (768GB) for the same price I paid, no issues reported from the buyer neither.

----------

That is a good price, sames as I paid on Ebay

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Wow, still a lot more than I expected. I suppose sellers can keep the price high as they are not really commercially available. Damn I wish I could get one straight from Samsung.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Yeah it makes the 512 or 758GB option apple offers when to buy a rMBP look like great deals.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Keep in mind you get to keep your existing SSD, which you can place in an enclosure and use as an external drive.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Keep in mind you get to keep your existing SSD, which you can place in an enclosure and use as an external drive.

Even considering that, its still costs less to buy the SSD from Apple and then buy a another more common form factor off the shelf. 128GB SSDs are like $100. To re-use the internal SSD, you need a special purpose enclosure, OWC sells one for like $30.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Even considering that, its still costs less to buy the SSD from Apple and then buy a another more common form factor off the shelf. 128GB SSDs are like $100. To re-use the internal SSD, you need a special purpose enclosure, OWC sells one for like $30.

That may be the case, but not everyone buys BTO machines and sometimes stock on stores are limited. My point still is you are not forced to spend the extra $ at purchase, you may to it later. in fact, this is the only upgrade you can do on MBA and rMBP down the road.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
That may be the case, but not everyone buys BTO machines and sometimes stock on stores are limited. My point still is you are not forced to spend the extra $ at purchase, you may to it later. in fact, this is the only upgrade you can do on MBA and rMBP down the road.

I understand, but over the years its been well reported that buying the base model and purchasing third party RAM and drive upgrades will save big bucks. I've been doing that for years, way back to the 80s. The climate has changed dramatically, however. That approach no longer makes economical sense, and we should remind those in the rMBP and MBA market that have been out of the loop.

Now if you only need or want a 128GB drive and 4GB of RAM, then the issue is mute.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.