Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:03 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Returns 5-8 Million Defective iPhones to Foxconn?

According to reports over the weekend from China Business [Google translation] and China Times [Google translation], Apple last month returned at least five million and perhaps as many as eight million iPhones to manufacturing partner Foxconn due to defects in either appearance or operation.

The reports indicate that it will cost Foxconn roughly 200 yuan ($32) per device to correct the issues with the defective iPhones, resulting in a charge of as much as 1.6 billion yuan ($259 million) to address the problem. It is unclear which iPhone models are affected by the issues, but Apple does not appear to be suffering from major shortages of any of its current devices.

The iPhone 5 suffered from quality control issues following its launch, with a number of customers complaining of scratches and other issues with their devices even right out of the box. Foxconn executives acknowledged that the iPhone 5 was a difficult device to assemble, with increased quality control standards contributing to production output below the company's goals.

As a result, it took Apple two and a half months to achieve supply-demand balance for the device, although the company was also pursuing its most aggressive worldwide rollout yet.

Article Link: Apple Returns 5-8 Million Defective iPhones to Foxconn?
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:06 AM   #2
McBeresford
macrumors member

Lock buttons were too low.
McBeresford is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:06 AM   #3
sixthdimension
macrumors newbie

I just got a black 5 last weekend and I've noticed the headphone jack is crooked. I'd take it back if I didn't think that I would just get another one with the same issue.
sixthdimension is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Chuck-Norris
Banned

both my ipad mini and iphone had some sort of tiny nick, hariline scratch, especially on the shamfer edge and i went through like 6 of them for both devices. i swear you cannot find a perfect perfect one but i ended up with one i as satisfied with
Chuck-Norris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:08 AM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

"Apple Returns 5-8 Million Defective iPhones to Foxconn?"

Are you asking us or telling us? Yes, the rumor is they did return defective units according to a translated article from China Business.
GoCubsGo is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:08 AM   #6
kevintheartist
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthdimension View Post
I just got a black 5 last weekend and I've noticed the headphone jack is crooked. I'd take it back if I didn't think that I would just get another one with the same issue.
It couldn't hurt. Perhaps you just got one from an older batch. That's crummy
kevintheartist is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
imgonephishin
macrumors regular

I mean, I'm glad that Apple takes the customer experience enough to force their suppliers to get things right, but still, how does stuff like this happen at this stage in the game? This story comes right on the heels of news that production difficulties were pushing the launch of the 5S back several months. If there are problems that significant for a minor phone upgrade, what happens with a complete redesign for the iPhone 6? Come on, Apple, get your house in order!
imgonephishin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:09 AM   #8
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Is the media reporting every rumor about Apple as fact?

Another anonymous source from some translated foreign news service.

No credibility at all....

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:12 AM   #9
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
This just goes to show that Tim Cook is the MASTER of the supply chain.
iGrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:12 AM   #10
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Stay strong, Foxconn slav, er, workers. Don't take this personally and take drastic measures.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:13 AM   #11
MacFather
macrumors 6502

poor quality,

stainless steel+glass > aluminum
MacFather is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Krazy Bill
Banned

More importantly... exactly "who" sat down and visually inspected 8 million iPhones? Most likely the OSX coders since they are working on nothing else and have time to spare.
Krazy Bill is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:15 AM   #13
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

Apple Inc.: I'd like to return these 8 million iPhones.

Foxconn: What's the problem?

Apple Inc.: There's a tiny scratch on some of them, a dead pixel on others...y'know, it's just when you spend several billion dollars you want them perfect.

Foxconn: Gotcha, let me talk to the manager and we'll see what we can do.

10 minutes later...

Foxconn: We can't exchange them but how about a $300,000,000 iTunes gift card?
HarryKeogh is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Ralf The Dog
macrumors regular

This is part of why, long term cost might be less if they moved manufacturing back to the United States. The main reason, they will not? They want to sell more stuff in China. Longer term, I don't know if China is as cool of a market as everyone thinks.
Ralf The Dog is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:18 AM   #15
Bart Katz
macrumors newbie

Will these be considered manufacturer refurbished? If so, it will have a dramatic impact on sales of new iPhones.
Bart Katz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:20 AM   #16
Adidas Addict
macrumors 65816

Way to feed the Fandroids.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:21 AM   #17
dylanlive
macrumors member

My power button is nearly out Only can push it on the left side now.
dylanlive is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:23 AM   #18
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
More importantly... exactly "who" sat down and visually inspected 8 million iPhones? Most likely the OSX coders since they are working on nothing else and have time to spare.
Aren't the OSX engineers working on iOS right now to get it ready for the summer?

I know many love to rant about how they went through a dozen iPhones and couldn't find a perfect one, but both mine and my wife's were flawless when we got them.....

For every loud, unhappy iPhone user, there are hundred's of thousands of quite, satisfied users with no issue. Just remember that folks.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:25 AM   #19
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
This just goes to show that Tim Cook is the MASTER of the supply chain.
He should have doubled down on quality.

Foxconn employees are too pampered. Making too much money and getting lazy now.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:26 AM   #20
AndyMulhearn
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf The Dog View Post
This is part of why, long term cost might be less if they moved manufacturing back to the United States. The main reason, they will not? They want to sell more stuff in China. Longer term, I don't know if China is as cool of a market as everyone thinks.
I suppose one question that could be asked is what makes you think the quality of US-based workers would actually be any better or suffer fewer defects?
AndyMulhearn is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:31 AM   #21
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

8 million defective phones returned and no supply problem created. Does this mean that sales aren't strong?
AppleScruff1 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:34 AM   #22
BMNB1tch
macrumors regular

wow so much for quality control

maybe they should automate the construction

rather than having rotten builds from slave labor
BMNB1tch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:36 AM   #23
orthorim
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
both my ipad mini and iphone had some sort of tiny nick, hariline scratch, especially on the shamfer edge and i went through like 6 of them for both devices. i swear you cannot find a perfect perfect one but i ended up with one i as satisfied with
Got a perfect one on my 3rd try. Of course meanwhile, several head on collisions with tiled floors later, it's not perfect anymore. But it was when I got it.
1 - Perfect case, but WiFi not working
2 - Small ding on the chamfered edge, returned in the store
3 - Perfect

It still has pretty bad battery life - certainly seems worse than the iPhone 4 - but I have come to believe that's normal for the iPhone 5. I with they'd made it a millimeter thicker and given it some more battery.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:36 AM   #24
MattMJB0188
macrumors 68000

I am glad I helped contribute towards this. I returned at least 30 iphone 5s. All had some sort of issue out of the box. I officially gave up and will be moving onto the Galaxy S4.
MattMJB0188 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:37 AM   #25
ReneR
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanlive View Post
My power button is nearly out Only can push it on the left side now.
That is exactly what I had!!! I got my 5 exchanged for a new/refurbished from Apple last month!
ReneR is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion