Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jhead476

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
I have an older Macbook Pro that I want to update the software on. It is currently running 10.5.8 and I just bought a 10.6 disk to update it to that.

I pop the disk in it follow the instructions, it begins to install, then about half way though it stops installing and the computer restarts. The disk ejects on its own and my computer boots up as normal but with nothing changed...

Am I doing something wrong with installing the software?

Computer specs...
Mac OSX 10.5.8
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
25GB free space

Jhead476

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
It says 10.5.8 it did not change I tried to install it 3 times and the same thing happened every time with no change...

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You have no other drives? Could you have selected a different volume and installed the OS there?

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm wondering if you just don't have enough free disk space to complete the installation. I know Apple recommends to keep something like 20gb free for the OS to maintain itself. I could be mistaken though..

worshiper28

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
Problem updating from 10.5.8

My macbook has been running slow and I found an apple tech off craigs list who after looking at my mac book stated that I need more ram and my software needs to be cleaned out due to the years of use. He gave me a price on cleaning out my software and installing the updates for that software (since i can't upgrade because of my protools and mbox device i use because i record music on it as well). All i had to do is back up my macbook on an external hardrive. Then he gave me a price, for increasing my ram.. .

My question is: Do you know what he means by "cleaning out my software" and Is this something I can do on my own?

I have:

MacBook4,1 (white)
Mac OS X 10.5.8
Processor 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Du
Memory 1 GB 6667 Mhz
DDR2 SDRAM (512/512)

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
My macbook has been running slow and I found an apple tech off craigs list who after looking at my mac book stated that I need more ram and my software needs to be cleaned out due to the years of use. He gave me a price on cleaning out my software and installing the updates for that software (since i can't upgrade because of my protools and mbox device i use because i record music on it as well). All i had to do is back up my macbook on an external hardrive. Then he gave me a price, for increasing my ram.. .

My question is: Do you know what he means by "cleaning out my software" and Is this something I can do on my own?

I have:

MacBook4,1 (white)
Mac OS X 10.5.8
Processor 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Du
Memory 1 GB 6667 Mhz
DDR2 SDRAM (512/512)

You probably do need more ram. 1 GB is tiny, these days lots of tables and phones have more ram then that. However you should be aware that it's really easy to change out ram on your own so if the person is asking for much more then the cost of the ram you might as well just do it yourself.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Core+2+Duo+RAM/512/1
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1651#link3

I'm sure you could "clean out your software" yourself, he probably means you just have a lot of junk that you maybe downloaded and never use or a bunch of app packages left over from old installs. There is probably some apps out there that could assist with that but they might be somewhat hard to find since 10.5 is a fairly old OS.

worshiper28

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
Thanks a lot man

You probably do need more ram. 1 GB is tiny, these days lots of tables and phones have more ram then that. However you should be aware that it's really easy to change out ram on your own so if the person is asking for much more then the cost of the ram you might as well just do it yourself.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Core+2+Duo+RAM/512/1
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1651#link3

I'm sure you could "clean out your software" yourself, he probably means you just have a lot of junk that you maybe downloaded and never use or a bunch of app packages left over from old installs. There is probably some apps out there that could assist with that but they might be somewhat hard to find since 10.5 is a fairly old OS.

thanks alot man .. I appreciate it. Just one more question.. How do I find out the updates for my software (10.5.8), since i cant go for the upgrade to the next version up.. based on my recording studio's software/hardware setup.

Jhead476

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
worshiper28 - Hey man, create your own thread, we have different issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.