Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jateshk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
jailbreakmatrix saying i cant jailbreak on 6.0.2. I thought as long as im not running 6.1.3 i can.

So can i jailbreak or not?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Yes they are

Ummm... Factory unlocked? I would say not.

You would need to be in good standing with VZW for them to unlock the GSM side of the phone, and even then it couldn't be used with GSM carriers within the US.

So you still would have a crippled phone, despite if you fulfill your contract with VZW and want to take that phone elsewhere.

BL.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA

You would need to be in good standing with VZW for them to unlock the GSM side of the phone, and even then it couldn't be used with GSM carriers within the US.

So you still would have a crippled phone, despite if you fulfill your contract with VZW and want to take that phone elsewhere.

BL.

They are factory unlocked. Unless I have been reading a lot of bad info.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay

BL.

All Verizon iPhone 5's are unlocked. You would just need to restore it in iTunes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/23/verizon-iphone-5-unlocked_n_1906034.html

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Some folks need to read and understand things b4 they post. :rolleyes:
YES, all Verizon iPhone 5 are factory GSM SIM unlocked.
That is the way they came as part of an agreement with the fcc.
Unlike the Sprint 4S that when it first came out, GSM factory unlocked, then shortly after they sent locking code to the phones on their network.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
All Verizon iPhone 5's are unlocked. You would just need to restore it in iTunes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/23/verizon-iphone-5-unlocked_n_1906034.html

The big difference here is Unlocked, vs. Factory unlocked. My understanding, and it has been posted in this forum as well, is that the GSM side is only unlocked, but it takes the carrier to unlock that side for it, as long as you meet the requisites for it to be unlocked. But as far as being Factory unlocked, I'm not too sure on, because otherwise you wouldn't need to get the carrier involved to do so.

BL.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
the GSM sim slot/GSM RADIOS are factory unlocked.
In other words, purchase a Verizon iphone 5 to be used with ANY GSM provider worldwide and never worry about it being locked by itunes or other.

It was NEVER locked at the factory = factory unlocked, Verizon cannot lock them as part of the FCC agreement.

jateshk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
In other words, purchase a Verizon iphone 5 to be used with ANY GSM provider worldwide and never worry about it being locked by itunes or other.

It was NEVER locked at the factory = factory unlocked, Verizon cannot lock them as part of the FCC agreement.

can i put in a att sim in my phone?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

can i put in a att sim in my phone?

I stand corrected. They do come factory unlocked. I read also on this site that a call to VZW had to be made so that they could activate that side of the phone, but I'm still looking for that article. It may have been for the 4S, and not the 5.

Either way, you could drop an ATT sim in it, and get 4G, but not LTE (different bands).

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1449522/

BL.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Your kind of screwed because you are on 6.0.2 and not 6.1.X which added lots of new features

not necessarily, although I do admit 6.1.x did have a bunch of bug fixes. For me, it was most notably the disconnection from wifi issue (but it wasn't so bad that I was ready to throw my phone across the room). iOS 6.1.x didn't add any new features, it was all bug fixes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.