Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Yahoo acquired news summarizing app Summly for $30 million and today announced that it has incorporated Summly's technology into its newly redesigned Yahoo app.

The new Yahoo app uses natural language algorithms and machine learning to offer up quick summaries of news articles, which are now served up in a non-stop stream within the app. Yahoo's redesign focuses on providing an endless newsfeed to iPhone readers.

yahoo1.jpg
In addition to improving the design of the app with Summly, Yahoo has improved its search experience with enhanced video and image searches. Users will also find new social and personalization features, such as categories that can be selected and retained cross-device with a Yahoo ID login.
-Personalized stories based on your interests
-Beautiful article pages
-Endless visual stream of stories
-Summaries by Yahoo!
-Ability to select topics you want more stories about
-Revamped web search experience
Yahoo for the iPhone is U.S. only and can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Yahoo Updates iOS App with Summly Integration, Major Redesign

empire01

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
UK
US Only

I realise the US is the major market, but wish articles would state where apps are restricted to a particular country.
This app is not available in the UK app store.

I've been thinking it for the past couple months, and I'm gonna go ahead and say it. I really think Yahoo is poised for a major ressurgance. Marissa Mayer is really getting their act together.

I would love nothing more than to supplant google with yahoo, and that may be happening sooner rather than later. I stuck with yahoo longer than most originally, and made the switch to google around 2006. I liked yahoo back then, I'm hopeful for a return.

----------

If the Yahoo weather app had 24hr and 10 day forecasting I'd switch! It's a stunningly beautiful app!

Yeah, that was one oddity that I noticed. It forecasts like 4 days out? Come on, the apple weather app uses yahoo data and it goes a full week.

Edit: Downloaded. It's kind of odd that a search engine app is primarily a news app. The search function is relatively hidden. If I didn't try to look for it I wouldn't really find it.

Last edited:

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I realise the US is the major market, but wish articles would state where apps are restricted to a particular country.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep that in mind for future posts.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This Yahoo! app is nowhere near as polished as their Yahoo! Weather app. The UI just feels unfinished in that it lacks coherent look and feel. And even after having read a bunch of Summly articles in the past, new articles on the app doesn't feel very "summly" to me. Oh well, perhaps I am too spoiled by Circa News app, which offers highly curated fact-based news with just the important summary.

P.S. It is time that Yahoo! ditches purple theme. While purple maybe the favorite of average teenager girls, the color as implemented feels amateurish and just doesn't look good to me.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
yahoo still exists??

Who do you think powers the weather and stock widgets on iOS and OS X. Yahoo mail is also still one of the most popular webmail vendors on the planet. Their sports section is nothing to sneeze at either.

Learn you some.

TheMacPotato

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2006
London
Weather app

Just downloaded the yahoo weather app. Oh wow, that is stunning!:)

----------

Who do you think powers the weather and stock widgets on iOS and OS X. Yahoo mail is also still one of the most popular webmail vendors on the planet. Their sports section is nothing to sneeze at either.

Learn you some.

Not to mention Flickr. The iOS app is fantastic.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Marissa Meyer seems to have put Yahoo on the right path. Yahoo Weather (iOS) is amazing. They have a great sports reporting devision. The latest version of Flickr is fantastic. And Yahoo mail might not be popular in the states, but they have a large user base. The new Yahoo app is really more news than it is searching, and Summly was great for news, so this all makes sense.

If Yahoo keeps reviving themselves, Apple should pay attention. Laugh if you want, but if Yahoo broke off their bing search partnership, and went on their own for Search, I could see Apple buying Yahoo. Think about all the integration with Siri they could do. Sports, movie listings, news, search engine results, and so on. Should be interesting to watch Yahoo's progress.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Is there a jailbreak tweak that I can use to make the notification weather open a different app when I tap on it?

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

Learn you some.

Outside the states you hardly ever hear about yahoo and cannot for the life of me remember the year that I last heard of someone using their search engine

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Hang on, wasn't Summly made by a UK app developer?

Wow.

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Outside the states you hardly ever hear about yahoo and cannot for the life of me remember the year that I last heard of someone using their search engine

Yahoo! is quite popular in Japan; Yahoo! Auctions is far more popular than eBay here.

If Yahoo keeps reviving themselves, Apple should pay attention. Laugh if you want, but if Yahoo broke off their bing search partnership, and went on their own for Search, I could see Apple buying Yahoo. Think about all the integration with Siri they could do. Sports, movie listings, news, search engine results, and so on. Should be interesting to watch Yahoo's progress.

A lot of speculation here. Going on their own with search is a lot easier said than done. Remember that they quite recently had their own search system, but they realized it was more cost-effective to just license Microsoft's product and let Microsoft try to keep up with Google in search results quality (or the perception thereof) rather than to try to do it themselves. If they were to drop Bing and go back to their own thing again, they'd have a whole lot of painful catching-up their home-grown product would have to do in a very short time in order to be competitive.

I don't know if the Bing deal was their wisest decision, but now that they've done it, undoing it will never be simple.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
i stand corrected. I honestly tho didnt realise it was still a force and thought it was going the way of netscape (now ill prob get ppl telling me netscape is big in somewhere like india)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.