Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
I'm in a bit of a pickle here. Currently I am in need of a mac to start up some IOS app development. I am a computer science major, so I will be programming, I've never even owned a mac before. However, I do feel I want a 15 inch retina macbook pro due to the availability of more space on the screen as well as the light and thin form factor. I'm not too pressed for the screen resolution except for the fat that it gives me and I like the other benefits the model presents. The thing I'm waiting on though is June possible update. My birthday is in June so it would be easier to buy as well, but I was mainly wondering if its worth waiting at all for Haswell, whether to get it with Haswell or just get the i7 at that time when the price drops because of the addition of haswell. Also quick side note, does anyone think 16gb of ram is worth it? If I'm gonna buy a mac since it's expensive as all hell I'm gonna want it to last me a good 4-5 years and I take very good care of my computers. Nonetheless, would it be wise to up to 16gb of RAM so im future proof or is it not even worth it? Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Haswell is due out in June so that puts an updated MBP in around the August time frame.

Can you wait that long (and potentially longer) or do you need it now. If the need is immediate but it now, if you can wait then do so

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
I would be willing to wait until June, July, or August if it's worth it, its not entirely pressing but I do need one soon plus lugging around my 7lb alienware laptop to work and back this summer will be a pain. I'm doing some software development work, nothing mac specific but with my plans for IOs development on my own time I would like to get working on it rather soon, but like I said if the wait will make a difference then I'd rather wait because if I am gonna go all out on a mac I want it to last as long as possible.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
I would be willing to wait until June, July, or August if it's worth it, its not entirely pressing but I do need one soon plus lugging around my 7lb alienware laptop to work and back this summer will be a pain. I'm doing some software development work, nothing mac specific but with my plans for IOs development on my own time I would like to get working on it rather soon, but like I said if the wait will make a difference then I'd rather wait because if I am gonna go all out on a mac I want it to last as long as possible.

You should wait, IMO, which is worth a bag of peanuts. But when it comes out it will be a true 2nd generation of the retina laptop. There is much talk of kinks that need to be worked out, the image retention, fan and lag issues, which is software related, but still there has been much talk that this thing is a little half baked. There are also many many happy customers but we are so close to the 2nd generation it only makes sense to wait and see if there are improvements. And there will undoubtably will be. Not to mention the new Wifi technology. Also possible bump up on the SSD and probable price drop to $1,999 for the base 15".

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

I somewhat doubt Haswell is a HUGE deal, but if you're not in immediate need it wouldn't hurt to wait. It does bring modest improvements.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Waiting until August would delay your iOS App development by almost half a year. That's a long time for something you would like to start doing right now.

You could pick up a 13'' MBA (or MBP) from the refurbished store for around $1k. Thats maybe not a machine that will last you for 4-5 years, but:
- you can resell it in 6-9 months with a very small loss
- it's less than half the cost of a reasonably upgraded 15'' rMBP
- you get to start your iOS projects right away
- it is lighter
- you might not like OSX

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
If all you care about is the Haswell CPU, it's not worth that much to wait for, it's not going to get you any big improvements compared to today's CPUs. Like the previous poster, the Broadwell CPU is the one you want with the 14nm process. That'll be out sometime in 2014, it'll introduce more stuff on-die and reduce the power package for the laptop.

Right now, the reason to wait for the 2nd-gen model is to benefit from all the improvements they'll make based on the experience they gained from the 1st-gen model. Improving the discrete GPUs (reduce the GUI lags on scaled resolutions), displays (image retention is a big problem on LG displays), and so on.

Like somebody mentioned, I'd recommend get a refurb unit from Apple to get the cheapest retina laptop you can find and start your iOS development. The quicker you can get your ideas out at the iOS App Store, the quicker you can push your app up the ladder before copycats starts coming in. Once you start making some cash, you can then buy a maxed out retina laptop when it comes out later this year or next year.

jeblis

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2012
Expect an announcement around mid June during the WWDC for shipping dates/specs. The main reason to wait for Haswell is the integrated graphics performance improvements should be significant and the rMBP will certainly benefit from more integrated pixel pushing capabilities. (less power usage) The discrete video will likely be a relabeled version of the current video card, so don't expect much change there.

Also there is the possibility that it will have 802.11ac which IMHO is worth the wait.

You could always pick up an old Macbook pretty cheap and flip it once the new one comes out.

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
If all you care about is the Haswell CPU, it's not worth that much to wait for, it's not going to get you any big improvements compared to today's CPUs. Like the previous poster, the Broadwell CPU is the one you want with the 14nm process. That'll be out sometime in 2014, it'll introduce more stuff on-die and reduce the power package for the laptop.

Right now, the reason to wait for the 2nd-gen model is to benefit from all the improvements they'll make based on the experience they gained from the 1st-gen model. Improving the discrete GPUs (reduce the GUI lags on scaled resolutions), displays (image retention is a big problem on LG displays), and so on.

Like somebody mentioned, I'd recommend get a refurb unit from Apple to get the cheapest retina laptop you can find and start your iOS development. The quicker you can get your ideas out at the iOS App Store, the quicker you can push your app up the ladder before copycats starts coming in. Once you start making some cash, you can then buy a maxed out retina laptop when it comes out later this year or next year.

good point I just dont like the idea of purchasing two macs within like 2 years because although I have a lucrative internship for the summer and will be developing some apps on my own, definitely some android, I am still in college and have other expenses. I can absolutely afford the 512gb ssd, 16gb of ram and 2.7ghz processor 2013 model by june so I could definitely go the refurb route to start early and then wait for broadwell but I dont like the idea of buying that many laptops in such a short period of time, but I guess I'd have to since broadwell is the one to wait for but I also need a mac like now. Any particular models to substitute in the wait for broadwell? I definitely need a 15 inch and so id like the mobility the retina model has to offer and theres a refurb base 2012 one for 1700ish but the stock 256gb ssd is a bit too cramped especially if im gonna have both mac and windows on it and programs for each, my windows pc right now has about 350gb used now a decent amount I could prob scaled down. My dilemma is I want to sell my pc to get the mac so im gonna need quite a bit of storage since its gonna be my all computer and not only for work. Yet its hard justifying spending over 2k on a refurb model that i plan on replacing in about a year or so. Any suggestions? I mean the other alternative I figured was to get the temp refurb and then have a Microsoft Surface Pro or surface pro 2 if its out, to complement it on the pc side of things so I don't have to have all my none work stuff on the mac as well.

Last edited:

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Some testing of ES processors: link
I don't think it's going to be a tremendous difference in performance, and power-consumption is going to be fairly similar. The big drop in power is scheduled for broadwell, which is the next generation processor. Graphics look to improve some 40% however...

EDIT:
Honestly, CS Major or no, you'll be fine with the current generation of rMBP I imagine. Only you know what you'll need, but I find that my programming is uninhibited with my using a Mac Mini at work. When I need the cores/memory, I use a cluster. You may not have access to that kind of computing hardware, but I think you get my meaning.

Last edited:

bbishop93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
So it looks like I'm leaning towards the refurbished RMBP of 8gb ram, 2.6 ghz i7, and 512 gb ssd for about 2k I figure that will last me a solid 2-3 years easily and by that time broad well will be perfected, I hope. Anyway any thoughts or other suggestions? Don't mean to sound too dire for help but this will be my first ever Mac so I am open minded to all aspects.

Exana

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Haswell is due out in June so that puts an updated MBP in around the August time frame.

Can you wait that long (and potentially longer) or do you need it now. If the need is immediate but it now, if you can wait then do so

I got an appointment with Intel guys tomorrow for Haswell presentation under NDA of course. But I can tell there are no mobile Haswell for june. Apple never release a new MacBook Air or Pro during Q3. It will be a late 2013 so october at best. Perhaps I will know more about mobile Hadswell soon. :)

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
I got an appointment with Intel guys tomorrow for Haswell presentation under NDA of course. But I can tell there are no mobile Haswell for june. Apple never release a new MacBook Air or Pro during Q3. It will be a late 2013 so october at best. Perhaps I will know more about mobile Hadswell soon. :)

Please keep us updated!! Thanks! :D

Exana

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Sure I will ! Gonna grab every info I can for mobile Haswell (even if tomorrow meeting is about desktop sku).

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
if you ask, it means that it is not so necessary for you... better waiting if you are not sure....

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
Sure I will ! Gonna grab every info I can for mobile Haswell (even if tomorrow meeting is about desktop sku).

I dare you leave the conference and go sight seeing in kyoto! I dare you!

macman34

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
So it looks like I'm leaning towards the refurbished RMBP of 8gb ram, 2.6 ghz i7, and 512 gb ssd for about 2k I figure that will last me a solid 2-3 years easily and by that time broad well will be perfected, I hope. Anyway any thoughts or other suggestions? Don't mean to sound too dire for help but this will be my first ever Mac so I am open minded to all aspects.

wait for hasswell if you can, go with 16gb of ram though, no question about that.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
I'm really looking forward to Halswell coming out, because then every other thread in MacRumors will be asking whether it would be a better idea to wait for Broadwell...

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
I'm really looking forward to Halswell coming out, because then every other thread in MacRumors will be asking whether it would be a better idea to wait for Broadwell...

I'm waiting for Skylake!

While enjoying the hell out of Ivy Bridge and my computer that utilizes it quite handily, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.