Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrDrifter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2013
I have a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 17"

As of a few weeks ago I started having some strange problems when on the web.

Problem 1

Lets say I want to highlight text anywhere on the web, normally I just click and hold on the track pad and I can drag and highlight anything. No longer! Now it does nothing.

Or let's say I make a spelling error as I am typing in what I want to search for on Google. Normally I could just click at the area where I needed to make the spelling correction. That no longer works. The cursor just stays left justified. The only way I can get the cursor to move is with the arrow buttons on the key pad.

I've checked all my settings and can't find anything wrong that would cause this.

Problem 2

I am CONSTANTLY redirected to some sort of AD when I click on my intended area of a web page. Like even getting to this site. I did a search for MacRumors, because this is my first time utilizing the site to post a question. Once I found the site I clicked the link, all good. Then I clicked on Mac Blog and I was redirected to a "yellow pages" AD. This happens to me constantly now. To remedy it I have to back up and re-click and it will direct me to the correct page.

Any help I can get would be GREATLY, GREATLY appreciated as it is taking me forever to negotiate the web and I have to use it for work.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Hello - probably can't give you an immediate answer(s) to your issues, but you may want to provide some additional information which will help others in replying: 1) which OS X is on your MBP; 2) which browser are you using; 3) have you tried another browser, if so, same results; and 4) do these 'disabled' functions seem to work in other applications? :)

MrDrifter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2013
Well, It appears I panicked a little too soon and didn't check the basics first. It seems as though most of the problems are with Firefox. Ive been using Firefox for years and have always liked it. Based on your comments I tried working with Safari and so far I have not had the problems. Guess I need to drop Firefox. I looked through the browser settings to see if there was something I may recognize that is causing the problem, but nothing jumped out at me.
No big deal, a browser swap is an easy fix for sure.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Hi again - glad that Safari is working out; concerning Firefox, I guess you could delete and re-install the browser if you still like it over the other? Good luck! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.