Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boy1der

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2013
I'm pretty much sold on this thing as a home device but I'm genuinely interested in how capable the iPad mini is outside the home.

Back when I had my iPad w/retina I almost never brought it with me unless I was going to class or the library. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing but I'm hearing people say the mini size allows them to take it everywhere.

Those of you who own one, how is it used inside and outside the house in your daily life?

vipJj123

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
I bring my mini with me everywhere I go. Fits perfectly/comfortably in my front pocket. Used to have iPad 3 and when I did bring it with me on the go, I never liked leaving it in my vehicle, but carrying it everywhere was cumbersome. With the mini I have it ready to use anytime.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I bring the mini with me if I have the slightest suspicion that I might need it. With the regular iPad I would only bring it with me if I knew for certain that I would need it. I'm a wheelchair user and find carrying things awkward, so I would not bring it everywhere, but it is very portable.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I used to bring my original iPad 1 with me everywhere I went. It is only as practical if you do not mind lugging it around.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Mine pretty much goes everywhere I go so long as I'm carrying some sort of a bag. I still find the iPhone more than adequate for my needs when I'm out and about, but the iPad is nice to have around in case.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
To answer your question - not very practical.

The key thing is - you need a bag. Unless you are the type who wears a suit coat all day, Mini is just too big to fit into a pocket. Despite what anyone might tell you - a tablet is no replacement for a smartphone (I have tried).

And if you really going to lug around a bag with you everywhere you go - you may as well get a full sized iPad and enjoy full retina display experience.

Reactions: Wahlstrm

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I carry mine with me everywhere and find it extremely portable, but... I carry a purse so it's very easy to just add with my other things and not think twice about it. If you are someone who does not normally carry any sort of bag you might find yourself carrying the ipad Mini less often than you would carry a phone sized item. It fits in pockets of coats and maybe back pockets of pants. Very light and portable, but still an item you have to protect and carry carefully.

I've never owned a full sized ipad, but my friend has an ipad 2 and it seems huge compared to my mini. I would definitely not lug that thing around in my purse, so if a ipad 3 is your comparison the mini will seem quite light and small to you.

vipJj123

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
To answer your question - not very practical.

The key thing is - you need a bag. Unless you are the type who wears a suit coat all day, Mini is just too big to fit into a pocket. Despite what anyone might tell you - a tablet is no replacement for a smartphone (I have tried).

And if you really going to lug around a bag with you everywhere you go - you may as well get a full sized iPad and enjoy full retina display experience.

I wear size 30/29 wrangler brand jeans and it fits in my front pocket just fine. Big difference in weight and size compared to full size pad.

nrweaver

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
I carry mine as much as possible. I carry a backpack to work and it is always in there no matter if I plan on needed it or not. It is so light I don't notice it.

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
I wear size 30/29 wrangler brand jeans and it fits in my front pocket just fine. Big difference in weight and size compared to full size pad.

Agreed. I wear jeans a couple of sizes bigger than you. and it fits in my pocket perfectly.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Well, ideal is a very subjective word. But for me, the mini is indeed ideal. I loved my regular ipad, but the mini hits that sweet spot. Large enough screen for pleasurable web surfing yet small enough to carry around. I don't even need a knapsack like I did with my regular ipad. The mini fits in my blazer jacket pocket or my cargo pants pocket with ease.

I travel ALOT, and the mini is my go to device for travel blogging and for editing my videos I shoot on my iphone when on the road.

Love it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I use mine as a camera. :eek: I just feel THAT comfortable with it, even though people think it's a joke for that use.

I also draw, play some games, have some nice music apps, some nice education/note taking stuff, and it's just nice to have it all where ever I go. It's more useful than my MacBook Pro anyway. The battery lasts longer for all the fun stuff, that's for sure!

Reactions: Digger148

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I carry the full sized iPad everywhere in my murse.

I do wish I had the mini thou. This thing gives me hand strain but prevents the eye strain.

Hah! Right there with ya:)
I was always against the 'murse'. Then came the iPad. Since its release in 2010, I've always carried my iPads...with a man bag! Love it!!! These days I've got a small Targus case. It's with me all the time. I carry both my iPad 4 and iPad mini. Pens. Paper. Extra battery pack (Mophie) associated charging cables, MiFi unit and USB thumb drives with my camera connection kit. I dig my murse. I'm 42. Married. And completely comfortable with it:)

I do run my own business and its a mobile business. Almost everything is conducted 'on the go' so I kinda have an excuse;)

Cargo pants as well...mini fits perfect in the thigh pocket! From experience

J

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Not practical for " bring everywhere" per se unless it includes cellular or you piggyback with tethering. Just saying.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012

Sure, you can fit Mini into a loose fit jean pocket.. But I just don't buy it for a second that it's a comfortable experience. As I said, I had tried that for a while, but carrying a 7" slab of plastic in a pocket just isn't for me. And probably not for most people.

For a carry-everywhere device, nothing beats iPhone 5. My recommendation is a combination of full size iPad and iPhone.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
what's great about the Mini is that you don't even notice that it's there in your backpack

can't say the same about the full size iPad (not the iPad 2 and def not the iPad 3/4)

vipJj123

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Sure, you can fit Mini into a loose fit jean pocket.. But I just don't buy it for a second that it's a comfortable experience. As I said, I had tried that for a while, but carrying a 7" slab of plastic in a pocket just isn't for me. And probably not for most people.

For a carry-everywhere device, nothing beats iPhone 5. My recommendation is a combination of full size iPad and iPhone.

To each their own. Before buying the mini I completely agreed with what you are saying, after getting it I was surprised how it fit in my pocket. Standing up or sitting it is very comfortable in my pocket. I wouldn't work with it in my pocket (I am a mechanic), for fear of breaking it but off work, driving, shopping, I have it with me (in my pocket).

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
what's great about the Mini is that you don't even notice that it's there in your backpack

can't say the same about the full size iPad (not the iPad 2 and def not the iPad 3/4)

Hilarious. The weight difference between full iPad and Mini is about 300 grams. A standard *empty* backpack weighs several times that. The weight difference between full iPad and Mini in a backpack is negligible.

vipJj123

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Hilarious. The weight difference between full iPad and Mini is about 300 grams. A standard *empty* backpack weighs several times that. The weight difference between full iPad and Mini in a backpack is negligible.

300 grams=approx. 10.71 ounces (300/28)

Reminds me of when I do construction, most framers use a 21 ounce to 28 ounce hammer. I had a titanium hammer weighing 14 ounces. The 7-14 ounce does not seem like much, but is very noticeable when comparing the two hammers. Using the heavier hammer once is not a big deal, but a lighter hammer can save wear and tear on joints over time. The same can be applied to a backpack loaded with numerous items, 300 grams less can make a difference.

Looking forward to see when apple can get the weight, battery consumption, and charging times lessened on the full sized iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.