Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cagcody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Hello,

First off, I have a 16GB Verizon LTE iPad 3. I purchased it the day it came out. I have had my eye on the Mini for awhile. I recently found someone on Craigslist who has a 2 month old 64GB iPad Mini for trade.

I mainly use my iPad for media consumption/games and the occasional class notes, as I am a college student. The big thing for me is portability, and I know the iPad Mini is lighter. Does this seem like a good trade? Also, I don't use the LTE, as I have an iPhone 5 and use the personal hotspot feature.

Thanks!

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Hello,

First off, I have a 16GB Verizon LTE iPad 3. I purchased it the day it came out. I have had my eye on the Mini for awhile. I recently found someone on Craigslist who has a 2 month old 64GB iPad Mini for trade.

I mainly use my iPad for media consumption/games and the occasional class notes, as I am a college student. The big thing for me is portability, and I know the iPad Mini is lighter. Does this seem like a good trade? Also, I don't use the LTE, as I have an iPhone 5 and use the personal hotspot feature.

Thanks!

Will going from retina to non-retina bother you?

cagcody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Will going from retina to non-retina bother you?

I'm not sure. I only played with an iPad Mini last year while at an Apple store. I don't remember if it bothered me or not. I'd go back, but the nearest Apple store is an hour away. Haha.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
I'm not sure. I only played with an iPad Mini last year while at an Apple store. I don't remember if it bothered me or not. I'd go back, but the nearest Apple store is an hour away. Haha.

Before you make the switch, try to read small text (newspapers?) on the iPad 3, and then the mini right afterwards.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I wouldn't, I would hold out for a retina mini. I bought a mini and after a few hours use I would get dizzy and nauseous. I can use an iPad 2 fine so I am not sure what is causing it but it only happens when I use the mini so I gave it to my kids and got a 4th gen instead.

Unless your carrying a small backpack/purse, to me the ipad mini really isnt that much more portable since it can't be put into a pocket like the Nexus 7.

Just my opinion though.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
To reiterate your comment, I had an iPad 3 and when surfing the net, i never needed to pinch and zoom in a website to read the text. How does the Mini fair at this?

Not well.

Waiting for a retina equipped mini is best. I have a mini & an iPad 4, there's quite a difference. I will dump my low res mini the moment Apple puts a mini out with retina.

The text on many websites is too small & pixelated on the current model. Lucky to have 20/20 vision I can read anything, but it's not pleasant on my current mini.

cagcody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
To reiterate your comment, I had an iPad 3 and when surfing the net, i never needed to pinch and zoom in a website to read the text. How does the Mini fair at this?

That's a good question. For me, the storage is a major plus. I like to have music and videos on my idevices, but it seems like the retina apps take up way more space on my iPad, so I can't really put music and videos on it without deleting some of my apps, which I don't want to do. 64GBs seem like a dream for me, and I kicked myself in the teeth for only getting the 16GB version when I bought my iPad 3.

----------

Not well.

Waiting for a retina equipped mini is best. I have a mini & an iPad 4, there's quite a difference. I will dump my low res mini the moment Apple puts a mini out with retina.

The text on many websites is too small & pixelated on the current model. Lucky to have 20/20 vision I can read anything, but it's not pleasant on my current mini.

I'm gonna drop whatever I have, whether it's my iPad or the iPad Mini, for the retina version of the iPad Mini the second it comes out. I was in line for the original iPad, the iPad 3, and I will be for the Retina Mini, too. I thought Apple would announce one this month, but that didn't happen....

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The iPad minis in Apple Stores are set with extra brightness, together with the bright tone of the Store it may look better than when you use it at home. So I suggest you to test by visiting websites with a lot of text and read PDF documents. Basically the pixel density is same as iPhone 3GS (163ppi). This is what you can expect.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Well if portability is that important, the 3 does not have enough space for you currently, and you are not using LTE, then swap.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I have an iPad 3 that I haven't bothered to charge in about 2 months, because I use my Mini (bought on release day) exclusively. But I use it mainly for web browsing, some light game playing (not graphics intensive games), and some music playing. The small form factor is the biggest reason to use it. Even when just browsing in bed, it's much more comfortable for me to use.

At the current time, you'd have to evaluate whether you're better off sticking with the 3 till the new Mini comes out, whenever that is, or whether you should change over now. Or just keep your 3 till it's no longer meeting your needs. The new Mini may or may not have a retina display... Anyone who says it will have "xxx" is just guessing.

Clint

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Hello,

Thanks!

Make the trade. Its worth it. I've had the iPad 1, 2, 3, 4, and mini. My biggest disappointment with the 3 was its lag when viewing certain digital content and the weight. The screen was very nice but I was willing to go back to a 2 at the time. When the 4 came out its everything what the 3 should have been. You'll find you'll use the mini much more due to its weight and portability. The only point I would advise against a mini is you may find yourself zooming in and out alot if you plan to read alot of text on there such as from websites.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I am a senior in high school and I owned a mini for roughly a week before returning it. I got it since I figured smaller/lighter = better. I was wrong. The screen size is important for note taking and it is also A LOT nicer for gaming. The screen is also much better.

Honestly, the mini isn't a bad tablet the screen is the main killer for a lot of people. I would wait if you are set on a mini.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
Based on your listed usage, I think you should make the trade. For video and games you wont notice the non retina as much as the text. And for portability, the mini is definitely the best choice.

Another advantage i didn't see mentioned yet is that the mini will still be in warranty.

cagcody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Based on your listed usage, I think you should make the trade. For video and games you wont notice the non retina as much as the text. And for portability, the mini is definitely the best choice.

Another advantage i didn't see mentioned yet is that the mini will still be in warranty.

The warranty is a good point. So, say if something happens and I drop it and the screen cracks, with it still being under warranty, what would it cost me to have it fixed at Apple? Also, would I need the original receipt or would they even ask for anything besides checking the serial number?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
The warranty is a good point. So, say if something happens and I drop it and the screen cracks, with it still being under warranty, what would it cost me to have it fixed at Apple? Also, would I need the original receipt or would they even ask for anything besides checking the serial number?

With the serial number, I believe you can check on the warranty status on line. Not sure about replacement cost under warranty, but other things would be covered 100%.

If you're planning to upgrade later no matter what, now seems like a good time to give the mini a "test drive". You'll get the storage space you want now, and you'll be able to make a better decision when we finally find out what direction they take with the mini2 and the iPad 5.

Regards,
Tom

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA

Just the serial number is needed. Check here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Note that the standard warranty doesn't usually cover accidental damage such as screen cracks, although some geniuses have been known to allow exceptions. It would cover something like the camera stopped working, wireless, buttons, etc.

cagcody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Just the serial number is needed. Check here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Note that the standard warranty doesn't usually cover accidental damage such as screen cracks, although some geniuses have been known to allow exceptions. It would cover something like the camera stopped working, wireless, buttons, etc.

I'm usually careful with my devices, so hopefully nothing accidental will happen. Nice to know that they will fix a hardware problem.

----------

With the serial number, I believe you can check on the warranty status on line. Not sure about replacement cost under warranty, but other things would be covered 100%.

If you're planning to upgrade later no matter what, now seems like a good time to give the mini a "test drive". You'll get the storage space you want now, and you'll be able to make a better decision when we finally find out what direction they take with the mini2 and the iPad 5.

Regards,
Tom

Thank you for the reply. I'm pretty confident about trading now. We are supposed to meet at the end of the week. I will for sure be buying either an iPad 5 or Retina Mini when it comes out. I hope it's later on in the year now that way the mini won't be obsolete after a months time of use after trading. I would like an iPad 5 now, but it's not looking too hopeful.

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
I recently did just this. I had an iPad 4 and was thinking of getting a Mini. My mom wanted a new ipad and I gave her mine and picked up a 32 GB 4G Mini. While I do love how much lighter the device is compared to the 4, at times I do miss the retina display. I have an iPhone 5 and a retina MBP so it's a constant reminder how low the resolution is on the mini.

So now I'm struggling with selling the Mini and getting another 4, but these constant rumors of the iPad 5 circulating is making me think twice. I think that over all, when comparing the Mini and 4 in weight, you're talking about a pound or so, but the bigger screen, retina display for me is worth it. I don't know why people say the mini is the "best size for gaming" because I personally prefer a slightly bigger screen when gaming. Overall I think the Mini is a great iPad, but constantly being around other retina devices and coming back to the Mini is the problem for me.

cagcody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I played around with an iPad Mini at our local Verizon store. I could tell the difference in the display, but it was just slight. Nothing too major for me to really care about.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
From my understanding, Ipad 3 battery dont stay as long as 4 or mini. If I were u, i would swap for a mini because it has better resale value. If you dont like it then sell it and get urself a 4 or maybe 5.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I have the 3 and a mini and also use iPad to take notes for class. I find that typing is MUCH easier on the 3 in landscape mode but its perfectly do-able on the mini, just not as comfortable. I'd say keep your 3rd gen for now and get a mini when it's updated? I must say that I only bring the mini to class now because the weight and portability are perfect for fitting into my school bag whereas I enjoy my 3 at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.