Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
I wanted to try Ipad mini. Ipad 2 hurt my wrist holding it for a long time.

But i dont want to give up big screen so is it that much different if you move from 9.7 to 7.9? I dont want to sell my 2 and end up hoping my tablet has a bigger screen. Dont really care about retina. Just games/web and i dont read on it.

Please advise for those who have changed.

ps. used to own BB playbook 7" and find it too small for a tablet (for me)

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I wanted to try Ipad mini. Ipad 2 hurt my wrist holding it for a long time.

But i dont want to give up big screen so is it that much different if you move from 9.7 to 7.9? I dont want to sell my 2 and end up hoping my tablet has a bigger screen. Dont really care about retina. Just games/web and i dont read on it.

Please advise for those who have changed.

ps. used to own BB playbook 7" and find it too small for a tablet (for me)

go to an Apple Store or Bestbuy and you can try them out. that's the best way to see if the size is right for you. it is a personal choice.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
go to an Apple Store or Bestbuy and you can try them out. that's the best way to see if the size is right for you. it is a personal choice.

thanks but i have tried it out numerous times. I just want to know for those who been using for maybe a month or two. Does it bother them at all that the screen is noticably smaller.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Mini is very light and thin with better screen PPI since the screen is 8" instead of 10" on 2, same pixels but closer together on mini. Better battery life, better cameras, new connector (future proof). The mini is cheaper as well.

fiction2040

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
The iPad mini isn't that much bigger than the Blackberry Playbook. Since you didn't like the Playbook's size, I recommend sticking with the full size iPad.

I've found the mini to be the perfect size. For me, the 7" tablets are too small. I was constantly having to zoom in and shift everything around. I was originally planning on getting a Nexus 7, but having that extra space on the mini, turned out to be a huge difference in my eyes. Why not just buy the mini and try it out for a few days?

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
thanks but i have tried it out numerous times. I just want to know for those who been using for maybe a month or two. Does it bother them at all that the screen is noticably smaller.

I used my parents iPad 2 for quite some time before I got myself an iPad Mini. I don't even think the screen looks that much smaller, definitely more clear to me!

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
I have the iPad 2 and my wife has the iPad mini, so I have tried both. I really like the mini, and I think it has better display than the 2. If the 5 turns out to be lighter than the 2, I'll probably buy it.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
I've found the mini to be the perfect size. For me, the 7" tablets are too small. I was constantly having to zoom in and shift everything around. I was originally planning on getting a Nexus 7, but having that extra space on the mini, turned out to be a huge difference in my eyes. Why not just buy the mini and try it out for a few days?

I live in Thailand so getting replacement for a defect unit is hard enough, let alone trying out a device and returning it.

If i decide to buy then gotta stick with it and i hate resale stuff online.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
The iPad mini isn't that much bigger than the Blackberry Playbook. Since you didn't like the Playbook's size, I recommend sticking with the full size iPad.

I disagree. I've used a nexus 7 and ipad mini and full sized ipad.

i find the ipad mini in everyday use "feels" bigger (same screen real estate as big ipad). its easier to type on as well. it is much more usable than the 7" size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.