Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:33 AM   #1
steve23094
macrumors member

Home Page uses up too much GPU

Hi All,

When I am on the MacRumors home page with Safari on my Macbook Pro it activates my nVidia discrete GPU. I know this is happening because I use the app gfxCardStatus which tells me whether my rMBP is using the integrated Intel GPU. This is a bad thing because it uses more battery juice.

It's a fairly recent development, it didn't used to happen but I'm sorry that I can't be more specific on a date. I don't know what element on the page is causing this but if anyone can advise on how to check I'm willing to try.

Thanks.
steve23094 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:45 AM   #2
rmwebs
Banned

That's the strangest thread title I've ever seen :P

I've just loaded it up in Safari on my rMBP and it didn't activate the discreet gpu - the macrumors homepage is hardly 'beefy' by any means - it must be a rogue flash advert.

Last edited by maflynn; Apr 30, 2013 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Removed ad blocking recommendation
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 01:23 PM   #3
padapada
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve23094 View Post
Hi All,

When I am on the MacRumors home page with Safari on my Macbook Pro it activates my nVidia discrete GPU. I know this is happening because I use the app gfxCardStatus which tells me whether my rMBP is using the integrated Intel GPU. This is a bad thing because it uses more battery juice.

It's a fairly recent development, it didn't used to happen but I'm sorry that I can't be more specific on a date. I don't know what element on the page is causing this but if anyone can advise on how to check I'm willing to try.

Thanks.
Same here. Disabling Javascript helps. Also using ClickToPlugin, but it does not disable the element which is causing the switch to GPU.

If anybody knows a solution, please let us know!

Patrick

UPDATE: Use ClickToPlugin and on the General tab of the settings disable "Load plug-in if HTML5 conversion fails"

Last edited by padapada; May 21, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
padapada is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 08:49 AM   #4
northernmunky
macrumors 6502

Make sure you have the latest version of Flash installed. Older versions may be triggering the GPU switch.
northernmunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback