Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Users of Apple's online services may be experiencing yet another outage today, with the company's system status page showing issues with both iCloud account sign-in and the iTunes Store over the past several hours. Apple's status page does not reveal the percentage of users experiencing issues, noting only that "some" users are affected, but we have received a number of reports about the services being down.

apple_services_down_23apr13.jpg
Outages of Apple's services have been relatively common occurrences, with occasional iMessage outages being among the most noticeable for users.

Update: Apple has now expanded its outage list to include Apple ID and Game Center, although it indicates that iTunes Store issues have been resolved.

Update 2: As of 10:30 AM Pacific Time, Apple indicates that the last of the outages have been resolved.

Article Link: Apple's Services Suffering Another Outage as iCloud Sign-In and iTunes Store Go Down

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Yep. An hour ago I tried updating some apps in iTunes and nothing worked. Tried signing into iCloud.com and that didn't work. Tried emailing someone with a Me.com email and that didn't work either..

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
That explains why the iOS App Store on my iPad was behaving funky.

I wonder if Apple is doing some upgrades, as I don't believe it's just one server but a server farm. Updates can mess things up when don't give the expected results.

We'll see. I'm just hoping this is a prelude to iOS 7, heheh! :D

oldcelt

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2011
UK
Really weird as mail on my ipad and iphone seem to be OK But intermittent problems on my MBA.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Maybe they're working on secret things to come in the future and messing up here and there

Must be some secret. They've been working on it for at least 10 years.

.mac sucked.
mobileme sucked
icloud isn't much of an improvement

You'd think with over $100 billion in the bank they could afford to hire someone who knows how to run an online service.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
this could not be worse timing! I have 13 iPhones to set up today for our company, and none will get pass the activation stage.

Absolutely fuming with Apple :mad:

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
You'd think with over $100 billion in the bank they could afford to hire someone who knows how to run an online service.

That's the thing, Apple are very good at releasing a new product or service and getting worldwide press attention when they are talking about something new, but it all goes pear shaped once it's in production.

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Blaa, blaa. Name a service that doesn't occasionally falter or a piece of equipment that doesn't break.

Half of you wouldn't even have known about it until you read it on here and even less will be affected. All working fine on my devices.

Take a chill-pill folks or even better, get a life...

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
why apple always sucked on online services?

It's the nature of online services. Google might be slightly more reliable, but not by much. Its services were out for some users just last week. This is why I try not to depend on cloud services, and why I like Apple's take on cloud services better than Google's. If you rely on Google the way they want you to and services go out (which they occasionally do) then you're hosed.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Must be some secret. They've been working on it for at least 10 years.

.mac sucked.
mobileme sucked
icloud isn't much of an improvement

Seems like plain old incompetence to me. This is a regular occurrence so clearly something is not right.

Haha, very true. Not much faith in what I had to say, only hope! :apple:

Oflife

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
Because...

why apple always sucked on online services?

Unlike Google and Yahoo, in particular the former, Apple are a child of the desktop computing revolution and (speaking as a lifetime Apple user), they may make superb hardware, choosing top quality components (iPad mini display a perfect example), but they lack software intelligence. This is obvious from the massive problems I and millions of others have suffered from DAY ONE with syncing address books, archiving iPhoto photos (I have lost over 400 due to some huge bug in an early version), lack of interoperability between OS X and iOS content etc.

Google's software is VERY robust. I have run my business on Docs for ages (and use a Nexus 4) and whilst there have been some design cockups by Google on Google+ (very much a work in progress!), their core services are robust because Google know the cloud.

This is all going to be Apple's undoing, and I predicted it years ago.

An as yet unheard of company is going to appear from nowhere and make things even worse for them. And that is not a rumor.

Typed on a MacBook Air 13" 2011 edition, a superb bit of kit, but a relic of the desktop age.

(Of course, for all we know, Apple may radically overhaul everything in the next few years after going through a bad spot, but in between now and then, their competitors will not be slowing down.)

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Cloud oh cloud, were did you drift
Out my sight, out of my mind
When you drift away, both go away

=====

Cloud computing is dangerous. If you rely on someone else's servers then you are at their mercy. The current fad of storying everything in the Cloud and virtually nothing locally is one that will back fire hard when those 3rd party servers go down.

Could be Apple, Google, Microsoft, Dropbox, Facebook(not that many of us would weep).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.