Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gjarold

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I have a mac pro running an updated copy of snow leopard.

I also have the latest and greatest vmware fusion 5.0.3 installed.

I have determined that (without a lot of mucking around and ugly hacks) I *cannot* install snow leopard client as a guest VM. Ok, fine.

But what about lion and mountain lion ? Can I install a lion or ML guest in vmware fusion if the underlying host machine is snow leopard ?

That's the first question ...

But the second question is, how do you get ML media ? I am pretty sure if it works with Lion as a guest, I have to do the silly usb stick whatever ... but what about ML ? Is there a way to download a ML image, on my snow leopard system, and feed it to vmware fusion ?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions...

Nov 28, 2010
located
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion can be installed as VM in Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion, I have done so successfully in VMWare Fusion with both Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion while running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard as my main system on a 2009 MBP and 2007 iMac.

All you need is the DMG that is inside the Install Mountain Lion app you get when buying it via the Mac App Store (MAS), which gets downloaded into the Applications folder.

These guides might come in handy:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Snow Leopard Server

You should be able to easily install Snow Leopard Server into VMWare Fusion.

Apple is now selling Snow Leopard Server for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping costs at 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only).

ProvoMB52

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
I'm missing something on the install

So I've been following the various threads on installing SL Server in Fusion 5, on Mountain Lion. I have obviously missed a step, or I lack the understanding to get the load to work. I start the install. SL Server starts to load, and gets to the point where it asks where it should be installed, and the only option is on the Macintosh HD.

I choose that option, and it get's about 3 minutes into the install, and comes up with a screen that says the program cannot be installed on this machine.

I have a new MBP, running 10.8, and Fusion 5.3.

I have successfully loaded Windows into another VM, and that worked/works great.

The reason I'm wanting to load up SL Server is just to prove to myself that it can be done. I use an old version of FileMaker Pro for database work, and there is no support for that program on any OS newer than SL.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, or even better, a line by line install for SL Server into Fusion, on 10.8.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Can't help you on Fusion, I installed SLS into Parallels:

[click on image to enlarge]

Attachments

• FileMaker Pro in vSL.png
    FileMaker Pro in vSL.png
    552.9 KB · Views: 264
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.