Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sid-R

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
I have a Windows 8 desktop and a mac air. I want to have free (non cloud) utility to keep one folder in sync between the two.
And my main purpose is for sync movie/tv show downloads.

I am trying currently with a windows folder mounted on mac.. will update more on ow that works out.
Mean while if any of you have a cleaner free solution.

Sid-R

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
What about a network HDD (1 TB or 2 TB) or even a NAS you connect to your router via Gigabit Ethernet and use that?

Thanks but I dont want to put any money into this solution. My Win 8 desktop is connected to my TV to watch stuff on it but I download a lot of stuff on my mac. so would be great if they synced

----------

My first thought went to rsync but that's not really good for bidirectional sync.

How about this one: Unison http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/index.html.
I didn't tried but seems a fit ?

Thanks I will try it

Sid-R

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Tried Many of the soft wares available but not of them does an auto sync.. they all need to used manually

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I have a Windows 8 desktop and a mac air. I want to have free (non cloud) utility to keep one folder in sync between the two.
And my main purpose is for sync movie/tv show downloads.

I am trying currently with a windows folder mounted on mac.. will update more on ow that works out.
Mean while if any of you have a cleaner free solution.

You can do it through a shareware program (for Windows is MacDrive) and then use iTunes to move your iTunes Library to an external drive.

Sid-R

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Found the perfect solution!!

Bit Torrent sync.. works like a charm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.