Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:37 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iCloud Boasts 300M Users and 20 Percent Growth in Q2 2013

During today's Q2 2013 quarterly earnings call, Apple revealed that iCloud now has more than 300 million users, a 20% increase from the 250 million that it reported during its Q1 earnings call in January. A year ago, iCloud had just over 100M users.

Apple's iCloud originally launched in late 2011, as a replacement for the company's MobileMe service.

iCloud, which is designed to allow users to store data from games and music, among other things, lets users sync content between multiple Apple devices. Recently, iCloud has experienced a number of service outages, with the latest occurring this morning.

Article Link: iCloud Boasts 300M Users and 20 Percent Growth in Q2 2013
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:39 PM   #2
tylerjamison
macrumors member

It's crazy to think that iCloud and MobileMe are even related.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:42 PM   #3
samcraig
macrumors G5

...when it's up and running (ducks)
samcraig is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:42 PM   #4
nazaar
macrumors 6502

iCloud base may have grown, but the bugs in this service is still very prevalent. Smart playlists in itunes is my biggest complaint, is it really that difficult to get it to work even if I already have iTunes Match....?
nazaar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:43 PM   #5
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Now that they have a substantial user base, they should make it more useful (i.e. more Dropbox-like).

Also wouldn't mind if I could get 5GB/device rather than 5GB/account =P
KylePowers is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:49 PM   #6
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

The amount of cloud space you get should equal the amount of space on the iOS devices you bought.

If I buy a 64GB iPad, I should be able to back it up to the cloud.

...not that I'd want to do it all at once, but still...
ThunderSkunk is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:55 PM   #7
rmwebs
Banned

I dont think this is a very reliable piece of information really.

For example, I'm counted as an iCloud user - I have an iCloud email address, gamecenter account and have Photo syncing turned on - I dont 'use' iCloud however - I dont use the email account (it was non optional). I dont use any of the other features. Plus which, surely pretty much every iOS6 device activated gives an iCloud account out, does it not?
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

iCloud is great when it works
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:18 PM   #9
needfx
macrumors 68020

I'm just happy my new devices are up and running in minutes without having to synch via computer.
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:36 PM   #10
krravi
macrumors 65816

After trying to sync everything through Google on a Android phone recently, I realized Apple's solution was much more cleaner and seamless.

Love iCloud!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 06:24 PM   #11
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Wow, that's nearly the entire US population!
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
After trying to sync everything through Google on a Android phone recently, I realized Apple's solution was much more cleaner and seamless.

Love iCloud!
Hi Tim.
Bubba Satori is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:00 PM   #13
krravi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
Hi Tim.
Hi Bubba,

How you likin' my 100 B payout?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Great product, I use it all the time. Tons of room to grow but they did an amazing job implementing it to their customers.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:16 PM   #15
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
I dont think this is a very reliable piece of information really.

For example, I'm counted as an iCloud user - I have an iCloud email address, gamecenter account and have Photo syncing turned on - I dont 'use' iCloud however - I dont use the email account (it was non optional). I dont use any of the other features. Plus which, surely pretty much every iOS6 device activated gives an iCloud account out, does it not?
This is common, every service calculates their user numbers in exactly the same way. For instance, do you think Facebook really has 1 billion active users? Of course they don't.

Also, to answer your question, not every iOS 6 device activated gets an iCloud account. It is an option on initial set-up that you can easily choose to skip.
gatearray is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:15 AM   #16
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
Hi Tim.
Do I sense a little truth hurting?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:49 AM   #17
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
The amount of cloud space you get should equal the amount of space on the iOS devices you bought.

That's nice. Considering some do update every year their iOS devices while selling old ones, some do buy and sell as a second hand or even brand new, one user would end up with 100 of GB storage space or more. Not bad at all, only if Apple haven't thought of that
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:50 AM   #18
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
Hi Bubba,

How you likin' my 100 B payout?
wahahahahaha...funniest reply ever!
thasan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:43 AM   #19
Rossatron
macrumors 6502

i do wish they would give more space as you buy more apple products. you get 5GB when you open an account (and 5 GB is not a lot these days), but that's it. i think it would be nice to get a 5 GB increase with each product.
Rossatron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:28 AM   #20
redhawk87
macrumors regular

iCloud is so heavily integrated into Apple products, its hard NOT to use iCloud (if you have an Apple device that is). To me this number is the same as saying how many iOS devices are currently in use.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:30 AM   #21
finalcut
macrumors 6502

300M and 280M of them don't even know they are with iCloud just because they have created a me.com email addy.
finalcut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:49 AM   #22
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
That's nice. Considering some do update every year their iOS devices while selling old ones, some do buy and sell as a second hand or even brand new, one user would end up with 100 of GB storage space or more. Not bad at all, only if Apple haven't thought of that
...yeah, I should have specified "registered", not just bought. When you sell a used device and the next user registers it, the drivespace associated with that device should go to them.

As big as Apples server farms are, I can't imagine how big they'd need to be to match the collective drivespace of all the iOS devices they're cranking out. I'd guess that's the limiting factor.
ThunderSkunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:20 AM   #23
ArcaneDevice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk87 View Post
iCloud is so heavily integrated into Apple products, its hard NOT to use iCloud (if you have an Apple device that is). To me this number is the same as saying how many iOS devices are currently in use.
Exactly. Considering you need an iCloud email address just to sync your notes it's almost impossible to escape the damn thing if you have more than one Mac device.

I store absolutely nothing in iCloud, I only ever use it to sync notes, contacts and calendars across devices and in order to do that you have to use iCloud.
ArcaneDevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:23 AM   #24
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post

That's not realistic but I do think that anything purchased at the iTunes store should not count against a users 5GB. Amazon does it that way, and I think it's fair because all Apple has to really do is store an alias in your acct, not the actual media so it's not actually costing them additional storage.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:20 PM   #25
palenran
macrumors newbie

It is realistic, and actually true, I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
That's not realistic but I do think that anything purchased at the iTunes store should not count against a users 5GB. Amazon does it that way, and I think it's fair because all Apple has to really do is store an alias in your acct, not the actual media so it's not actually costing them additional storage.
I believe that is how iCloud works. I have a 32GB iPhone 4s and a 64GB iPad Mini, each with 16GB of music on them. I have no problem backin up the whole thing to my 5GB of iCloud backup. That would not be possible if my iTunes store purchases were actually backed up to iCloud. Most of that storage is used by my Mail and my App settings.
palenran is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion