Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2002
This made me raise an eyebrow.

"And Kodak is quietly shipping 2-inch horizontal OLED screens to a consumer device manufacturer it refused to name."

oddly, the screen on the iPod is 2" diagonal.....

Make of that what you will.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by Eple
I dont know about any other devices with a 2" display.

Me neither, none spring to mind at least, most digicams have 1.5"-1.8" screens.

mystixman

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2002
USA
well, I dont think it would be that big of a deal to name a Camcorder company for that. I am assuming its either Apple for the iPod, or Nintendo for the Game Boy Advance.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Well, if the iPod was going for a color display, i would think they would wait for something really high-definition, as this screen is... but i don't think the manufacturing techniques are quite cheap enough to compete with the part cost of a 2" b/w LCD... i mean, color screen or not, the iPod price does not need to increase.

But i don't think it's going to happen. Apple has a plan here, and i think it's far greater and more long-term than anything we've speculated about so far (iPhone, iWalk, full-featured iPod PC)...

:)
pnw

TheInevitable

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Arizona
"And Kodak is quietly shipping 2-inch horizontal OLED screens to a consumer device manufacturer it refused to name. Those screens, configured in the manner of those used in digital cameras, are the first to use active-matrix technology that can play video, said Daniel Gisser of Kodak's display products unit. The product will emerge in the first half of next year, Gisser said.

"Larger screens for handheld computers and video cameras might be ready in a year or two, said Paul O'Donovan, an analyst with Gartner Dataquest."

If we read more of the article, I think we've been able to narrow the possibilities. I don't think it will be a video camera for a couple of years, yet it has the ability to display video.

The unnamed manufacturer's product will emerge in the first half of next year. So, I think it is likely for a vidpodlike devise. Let's hope it is apple.

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
first half of 2003 it says.........

Perhaps January 7th ? ? ? That would be awesome :)

Tim

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
It could also be a color hiptop screen for danger. I don't know why Nintendo would keep something like that secret, so I don't think it's them. Did anyone also notice the fact that the screens go bad after 10,000 hours? Would apple sell a products that goes bad? Then again, who has spent 10,000 hours on their ipod?

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by AndrewMT
It could also be a color hiptop screen for danger. I don't know why Nintendo would keep something like that secret, so I don't think it's them. Did anyone also notice the fact that the screens go bad after 10,000 hours? Would apple sell a products that goes bad? Then again, who has spent 10,000 hours on their ipod?

Too small for Danger...or Nintendo

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
most likely a cell phone.

this is quite a rediculous thread, imho. there are literally millions of companies out there. to think this has anything to do with apple is just total wind-peeing.

TheInevitable

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Arizona
"Did anyone also notice the fact that the screens go bad after 10,000 hours?"

I did not catch that. If that is the case, I don't think that apple would go that route. That doesn't mean that Apple couldn't use good old fashion LCD screens though.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
The only reason Apple would put a color display on the iPods (IMHO) would be to continue with the rather high-prices of these things.

I'd rather see a $250 10gb iPod.

TheInevitable

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Arizona
If Apple did start using color LCDs on the iPods, I don't think they would instantly discontinue the current models. If anything, it would drive the price of the current models down.

Oh, and sign me up for that $250 10 GB iPod!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.