Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HKPDW

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Sometimes, I feel like I'm toting around a desk top computer. I wish there was a smart phone that had a less physical presence.

I'd like to see an IPhone transformed into a watch (or a Nano sized device) that would transmit audio / video data (blue tooth?) to a pair of A/V glasses.

Basically, I'd rather wear a smart phone than carry the smart phone.

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
functionality comes with size as far as most modern cellphones go..

i can't imagine talking on a watch phone.. would you raise your wrist to ear level or what? now, you could argue that you could use headphones+mic, but the cord would get in the way of doing a lot of things. Not to mention the lack of screen realstate to read an e-mail or battery life.

Idea is interesting, but no, tech aint there

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
now, you could argue that you could use headphones+mic, but the cord would get in the way of doing a lot of things. Not to mention the lack of screen realstate to read an e-mail or battery life.

Re: cord & "tech ain't there": Bluetooth has been around for quite some time.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Maybe you should look into Google Glass. You'll look like a real dumbass wearing it, but it seems about as close to what you're looking for as is out right now (or in the near future unless you're a lucky developer).

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Re: cord & "tech ain't there": Bluetooth has been around for quite some time.

Re: if the phone were to rely solely on bluetooth, good luck with battery life.

oh wait, i forgot to mention battery life in my previous post, correct? lol

inb4 solar power..

Last edited:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Yea, great. They act like sunglasses too, so you can wear them when driving..... :mad:

Not to mention you would look like a complete dork...

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Funny, since I have a phone with an auto-update time mechanism regardless where I go, I don't wear a watch any more.

Also notice BT headset used to be very popular when it came out, it seemed every Joe&Harriet were "talking to themselves." Now, not so much, don't see them as often. Just my observation, novelty worn off?

But yes, at some point we'll have a star trek badge or something.

HKPDW

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Maybe you should look into Google Glass. You'll look like a real dumbass wearing it, but it seems about as close to what you're looking for as is out right now (or in the near future unless you're a lucky developer).

Yeah, I was thinking something similar to the Google glassses (an iphone stuffed into a small box like Nano or iWatch that transmits data up to a pair of inconspicuous eyewear)...

A man could wear it like a watch (or on a belt clip) and a woman could keep it in her purse.

Having all the convenience of having a smart phone without the smart phone...

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Sometimes, I feel like I'm toting around a desk top computer. I wish there was a smart phone that had a less physical presence.

I'd like to see an IPhone transformed into a watch (or a Nano sized device) that would transmit audio / video data (blue tooth?) to a pair of A/V glasses.

Being limited to wear the same watch and the same glasses at all times? I know a great deal of iPhone-users that wouldn't sit well with.

Seriously though, you're just before your time. In 5-10 years everything will change, the current smart phone physical representation is well overdue already.

HKPDW

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
What you described has none of the conveniences of a smartphone.

Well, you're less likely to sit on it and do you really enjoy carrying that brick in your pocket? You wouldn't have to hold it up to your head and you wouldn't have to finger pound it. It would be nothing more than a simple communication device controlled by your voice and eye.

Think of it as a heads up display for reality...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well, you're less likely to sit on it and do you really enjoy carrying that brick in your pocket? You wouldn't have to hold it up to your head and you wouldn't have to finger pound it. It would be nothing more than a simple communication device controlled by your voice and eye.

Yep. Google Glass (as I mentioned above). Look it up if you're unfamiliar.

HKPDW

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Yep. Google Glass (as I mentioned above). Look it up if you're unfamiliar.

Sort of like that.

Personally, I think trying to incorporate a computer into a set of glasses (google glass for example) is a poor idea because it makes the glasses expensive to manufacture, they're easily breakable and appear bulky in nature. And let's be honest, there's only so much you can cram into a pair of glasses.

I was thinking more along the lines of a small computer on your wrist or hip that would send data to a thin film display (that could be applied to any pair of glasses). A camera, mic and speaker would be located at the top of the film display.

Think of it as an Apple TV for your head; a small computer box that is out of the way that can be paired up with any set of glasses that can act as a display.

Foshizzle...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Sort of like that.

Personally, I think trying to incorporate a computer into a set of glasses (google glass for example) is a poor idea because it makes the glasses expensive to manufacture, they're easily breakable and appear bulky in nature. And let's be honest, there's only so much you can cram into a pair of glasses.

I was thinking more along the lines of a small computer on your wrist or hip that would send data to a thin film display (that could be applied to any pair of glasses). A camera, mic and speaker would be located at the top of the film display.

Think of it as an Apple TV for your head; a small computer box that is out of the way that can be paired up with any set of glasses that can act as a display.

Foshizzle...

Eh. Truth be told I'm not a huge fan of google glasses, but everything you said here just sounds strictly worse. If you think of nothing else, think of the battery necessities. You will still need something more than said film. You need to drive the thing with power. For all intents and purposes, what you are suggesting likely wouldn't be much thinner than what google glass already is plus it would have a second (unnecessary) part. Again, basing my statements on tech we have now and not something we might have ten years from now.

HKPDW

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Eh. Truth be told I'm not a huge fan of google glasses, but everything you said here just sounds strictly worse. If you think of nothing else, think of the battery necessities. You will still need something more than said film. You need to drive the thing with power. For all intents and purposes, what you are suggesting likely wouldn't be much thinner than what google glass already is plus it would have a second (unnecessary) part. Again, basing my statements on tech we have now and not something we might have ten years from now.

I agree. The downside would be having to deal with two piecese of equipment instead of one. The thin film display would also need to be constructed like a pair of prescription snap on lenses. The upper "frame" would indeed need to house the battery, transceiver, mic, speaker and camera.

I realize that would be a tall order.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

I stopped carrying my wallet in my back pocket before I was college-aged. Never put a phone there. Annoying to sit on, too easily picked, etc.

A simple communication device is a phone, that has nothing to do with the 'smart' portion of iOS or Android. I can't think of a single feature in the 'smart' area that I would enjoy without a screen or with it embedded in glasses.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Sort of like that.

Foshizzle...

That might work fine for someone who already has a prescription and needs to wear glasses anyway. For those of us who don't need glasses, I'm certainly not going to wear a pair just to view a display all day. A conventional smartphone is far more preferable to me. I don't see the iPhone as being heavy at all--you make it sound like you've got a 5lb weight in your pocket. :)

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
functionality comes with size as far as most modern cellphones go..

i can't imagine talking on a watch phone.. would you raise your wrist to ear level or what? now, you could argue that you could use headphones+mic, but the cord would get in the way of doing a lot of things. Not to mention the lack of screen realstate to read an e-mail or battery life.

Dick Tracy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.