Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Yass-Attack
macrumors member

Locking display mirroring to a specific screen on MBP

I'm using a Macbook Pro (summer of 2012 version) and display mirroring on a Sony Bravia. I was wondering if there was a way to mirror only one specific screen (the one that will be playing a movie) while being able to use the laptop for browsing at the same time during the movie. Thank you.
Yass-Attack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:42 PM   #2
FreakinEurekan
macrumors Demi-God

Sort of. You could mirror one screen to an Apple TV and use the other for browsing - however - you can't have the movie full-screen. If you do, the other screen will just be greyed out so you can't use it for browsing.

Your best bet is instead of mirroring to your Sony, use iTunes Home Sharing and stream the movie to the Apple TV. You won't be using any of the Mac's displays doing that.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 01:07 PM   #3
fishcove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yass-Attack View Post
I'm using a Macbook Pro (summer of 2012 version) and display mirroring on a Sony Bravia. I was wondering if there was a way to mirror only one specific screen (the one that will be playing a movie) while being able to use the laptop for browsing at the same time during the movie. Thank you.
I might be misunderstanding your question, but you might try Extended Desktop mode instead of Mirroring.

Then just drag the movie window to the second screen (the Sony) and maximize it.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:14 PM   #4
FreakinEurekan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcove View Post
I might be misunderstanding your question, but you might try Extended Desktop mode instead of Mirroring.

Then just drag the movie window to the second screen (the Sony) and maximize it.
When you maximize a screen on a Mac (Lion or Mountain Lion), the other screen goes blank & can't be used.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater