Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1
kulimer
Banned

youtube video freeze, battery service on, programming damages ur MBA

I have the mid-2011 MBA, I see signs of problems begin to come one-by-one.

Problem:
1. Youtube freeze while watching, sound still plays.
2. Battery service alert on. (230 cycles, 79% health)
3. beach ball spinning while 15 Firefox tabs opened, can't switch between screens.

My answer + advice:
1) I really think running loop damages your MBA. I brought this up in here two months ago.

I was writing 700,000,000 for loops, and it takes 1.5 days to complete the job, don't ask why. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1535723).

2) Cold weather shortens battery life. Before the winter (4 months ago), battery was 90% health. I walked the MBA through snow, from parking lot to building, alert was on, no big deal, but battery life began to shorten noticeably.

Last edited by kulimer; Apr 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM.
kulimer is offline   0
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:04 PM   #2
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

Here we go again...
TheRealDamager is offline   2
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:32 AM   #3
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDamager View Post
Here we go again...
Agree.

WARNING: Do not click on the link in the first post unless you want to try and follow the tale of a 'programmer' who doesn't understand how computers work and won't listen to people who do.
TC25 is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:01 PM   #4
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulimer View Post
I have the mid-2011 MBA, I see signs of problems begin to come one-by-one.

Problem:
1. Youtube freeze while watching, sound still plays.
2. Battery service alert on. (230 cycles, 79% health)
3. beach ball spinning while 15 Firefox tabs opened, can't switch between screens.

My answer + advice:
1) I really think running loop damages your MBA. I brought this up in here two months ago.

I was writing 700,000,000 for loops, and it takes 1.5 days to complete the job, don't ask why. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1535723).

2) Cold weather shortens battery life. Before the winter (4 months ago), battery was 90% health. I walked the MBA through snow, from parking lot to building, alert was on, no big deal, but battery life began to shorten noticeably.
Have you tried re-installing the OS? Maybe your programming attempts and fiddling corrupted the OS. Beauty is it's only software, so as long as you save your work, the OS can be recovered?
stchman is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:32 PM   #5
kulimer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman View Post
Have you tried re-installing the OS? Maybe your programming attempts and fiddling corrupted the OS. Beauty is it's only software, so as long as you save your work, the OS can be recovered?
I've written codes and complied them, the code files are 20KB at best. I just don't understand why problem.

I haven't considered re-install. I cleaned up Desktop files and put others in a folder, seems like it's running faster.
kulimer is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:08 AM   #6
micrors4racer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulimer View Post
I've written codes and complied them, the code files are 20KB at best. I just don't understand why problem.

I haven't considered re-install. I cleaned up Desktop files and put others in a folder, seems like it's running faster.
If you are really writing code I would have thought that you would know better than to state that your computer runs better because you organized the files in it.

I am not a programmer but I would think that you would understand how to debug a system and my first thought would be to do a format and clean install. Writing code will not damage your system because it is what computers do...run code.

Your battery might be really faulty though and that happens sometimes.
micrors4racer is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Tags
battery, freeze, mba 2011